New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. lookeong

lookeong Regular Member

IT Networking
    Oh.. thanks for your feedback..
    BTW.. what is your tension?
    I believe you own N90 as well right, can you easily change from MX80 to N90 during a game?Is it hard to adapt with the feel as both giving different feel.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I can change, but not easily. My defense will be weakened severely with the N90, as well as my drives because I'm just not used to it.
    Current setups are BG80@28lbs on the MX80s and NBG95@30/31 on the N90 and the VT70. The string is nice and tight (still, a little numb), but the problems is mis-timing due to the differences in BP, weight and stiffness. If I changed from the MX to the N90 at, let's say, 11 in the first game, I would probably lose that game and have adapted by 11 in the second. But that's only because I'm completely adapted to the MX80 and use the N90 about twice in three weeks (usually train 3-4 times a week, 2-4 hours each). If I were to use the N90 more, changing would be easier.

A tip: train your wrist&fingers a little. I find that a good gripping action and pronation help a long way when using stiff rackets, whereas heavier rackets such as the N90 often tempt you to swing more with your big muscles (chest, shoulder, triceps). For me, key to using the MX is using pronation/supination on every shot, and keep the swing motion sharp&quick compared to the N90.

3. lookeong

lookeong Regular Member

IT Networking
    Thx for the feedback... i think will change my setup on my MX80.
    Currently my N90 I is without original grip, it is just a scotch tape+overgrip and i felt it is really nice to hold and control.
    For my new MX80 which i got it today, it is original overgrip+victor overgrip.
    I will try to remove it and make it with scotch tape+overgrip only.
    Hopefully this will make it better.
    I will try it again on my sat game..
    Really thanks for sharing Jackie...appreciate~~ : )

4. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys... i wanna share a bad news ( well, for me it is )..

my racket clashed :( :( leaving a big ( about 0.5-1 cm ) paintchip.. the moment it clashed, i'm shocked and cannot say a word until my partner said " it's ok, it's ok "

it's not break yet now... but, it will be fine in the future right? or i should stay away from that clash point?

*i'm wondering whether i should buy a gold, black, and clear nail polish to fix that..*

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Paintchips are normal if you play doubles. If you want no paintchips you never mishit the birdie. This is normal but I would be angry too if a newbie clash in my rackets. One week ago a weak partner clashed in my MX80. First paintchips. Think twice. A racket with paintchips is like a body with scars. Everyone can tell a story.

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    That was a big mistake, darren. The extra stiffness plus the 80 holes means you should've strung the MX80 anywhere up to 3lbs LESS than your N90.

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Finally got to hit (albeit only 5 mins) with the MX-80 ordered through visor. It was strung with VS-850 @ 28 lb. Firstly it felt slightly lighter, making driving and blocks off smashes a breeze. Overheads were crisp; liked the feedback from the strings. Although I did not try to hit too hard smashes were decent; very nice feeling off these strings.

I'll wait to see how it feels as the tension slips; going by the reputation of this string, I'm expecting it to.

Yup, I think I got a good one.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't worry, the vs850 is still newly strung... give it a few weeks and it'll drop at least 2 lbs by then. :)

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    lolz, very true.

That's the dilemma I have at the moment.

I have one MX strung at 25lbs with VS850 that's dropped off but stablised, and another MX strung with the older style ZM67 also at 25lbs which I haven't used yet.

I have a few packets of the new red ZM67, but have no idea what to string both rackets at.

I'm thinking because ZM holds it's tension well, I might go as low as 23x25.

I just wish VS850 was more stable because it feels awesome with the MX80.

10. lookeong

lookeong Regular Member

IT Networking
    Since im ok with with 26lbs on my N90 ,I will try to lower down my tension to 24lbs on my my MX80.
    Share with us your review with 23x25 when you string that next time.
    I'm wondering will it be better if we lower down the tension.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

zm67 only drops 1 lb in total, whereas vs850 drops 2-3 lbs in total (unless you pre stretch it manually before handing it to your stringer. I usually take out 8-10 inches of slack and it only drops 1 lb). So take that into account when you request your tension.

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I don't know how to pre-stretch string. Sounds scary.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, it's easy. :). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praasXlb0Ls&feature=youtube_gdata_player Follow this, even though it's for tennis strings, works just the same. Loop the string around something solid and smooth. Wrap the free ends around an old racket handle. Gradually pull on it until you feel it doesn't stretch much anymore. Takes a minute or two. For vs850, I've easily stretched it by 8". Can easily go to 10" if I wanted to. Zm67 however only stretched by 2" with about the same force.

14. Jughead Jones

Jughead Jones Regular Member

Accountant
    Tested my MX80 4UG2, strung with bg66M @26lbs last nite, Fast drives and pushes really impressed me! but one thing i like bout this beast was that, returning smashes was a breeze...i even lifted the shuttles to let my opponents smash and enjoyed returning them. made two or three cross over returns which normally i seldom can do. though i did some decent smashes but i do feel i need to adjust more on the timing. a really fast racket! i thought after 2 hours of playing i will feel some pain in my wrists, but gladly, nothing!!! looking forward for some games using mx80, i never even took out my T2v2 and arc10 in my bag. hehehhe....

15. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    After about 10 hours of playing with this, I could say that I love it more and more IF I am in a good condition.. If I am on a bad condition, I HATE this racket bcoz it just makes it worse.. so, it's like a double edged sword to me..

btw, I think 2 lbs different from an 'ordinary-cheap' racket is not enough.. In the past, i can hit comfortably with 27lbs on my old racket.. but now on MX80, even with 25lbs it still feel like i'm hitting the shuttlecock with a wood.. -_-'

yeah.. what I am afraid it's not the paintchips.. but the after-effect of it, like maybe the strength will go down so the next time i mishit/have clashes again, it will break or something like that..

so, u mean VS-850 is elastic-type string??

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Huh. Weird. Personally, I can't feel much difference regarding the string tension - my BS10s are strung with a ~28lbs BG80, just like my MX80s. Honestly, I don't see a difference in string/tension feel. The racket is stiffer and heavier, but the string really doesn't seem different.
    Once I got really used to the MX, clears were just as easy as with the BS10, although when I'm really adapted to THAT, smashes are somehow a tad stronger. Probably a combination of the softer shaft and faster swing.

Regarding the VS850 - I wouldn't say it's more or less elastic than other strings, it just loses tension. If you string it at the same tension as, say, a BG80 without pre-stretching either, the VS850 will be noticeably softer after just 2 training sessions, and will 'stabilize' about 2-3 lbs lower than the BG80. In the beginning, the playing characteristics are very similar to the BG80, but to me, the VS feels 'dead' pretty quickly, which is one of the reasons I don't use it.

17. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    no, mine didn't come from BS10, but from a cheap (US$30) racket, headlight and flexible.. i think i 'jumped' too high to MX80.. :( but it's ok, even though it's progressing slowly, i'm starting to get the feeling..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since I don't have any racket with the same spec to compare, and i'm still not a good badminton player... so, let me give a 'noobs' comments about MX80:
    - Smash ( forehand+backhand ): Definitely ur power will raise a bit bcoz of using this racket, even though i gave it to a woman, she can smash a lil bit faster than usual ( not steeper, but faster ). One thing that I notice is, if u can do a wrist smash ( overhead smash using wrist power ) this racket will be so deadly.
    - Drive: Like anyone said, this racket is made to do drive.. even if u're not good at drive ( like me ) u will eventually love it, bcoz the accuracy is so good.
    - Lob: A little bit slower, maybe due to mine is 87g ( my previous one is 4U ), and 1 problem, if I late just for a millisecond, I can't hit it long... maybe due to my wrist is not good..
    - Defending ( forehand+backhand ): at first i'm afraid i can't hit it long due to the heavy racket... but i'm shocked, the ball is almost always out if I defend, like u got more swing speed than the light racket..

Note:
    - Really not recommended for beginner.. and not really recommended for intermediate who used headlight-flex racket before, as maybe u'll have a little hard time adjusting to it.. :)

That's it, comments are really welcome.. overall i'm very happy to play with it.. especially in singles... doubles? I have a hard time adjusting the speed and the heaviness of the racket..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    thanks for the comments...mostly same opinion as mine. :p

19. Blackmambaz

Blackmambaz Regular Member

Still looking for mx80 in Melbourne, anyone selling it? :(

20. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I think Lucas at the Victor shop at 429 Clarendon St Sth Melbourne probably has them in stock.