Scholarships given to young Malaysian Badminton players

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Nov 25, 2010.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree with Bbn's opinion on the Chinese club league, a very important move and I hope it could be internationalized. But if LCW was refused, it was because of its Yonex sponsor if I remember. Yonex refused to let him play with different sponsors.
    This topic is very important, specially for european countries. In China, they take the youth at 13 and train them full-day. They child then study very little. Then what happens when they reach the national team 2 or even 1 but cannot become world 1? They are sent back to their province and there is not much for them to do. YY, ZJH, XXZ, all former world n.1, they can find something, but for the second-rate players, they are more or less 'sacrificed' for the country.
    In France there is a special educational program where the youth gifted in sports follow a dual formation, half a day sport-training and half a day regular schooling. At 18, they have the same academic background then the regular students. The problem is that on the sport side, they can't compete with the youth that had professional training for already 5 years... That is why I believe Dan players are late-comers. (Well, not for PG).
    The salary for Chinese players in the provincial team is around 3000 rmb, which is not so great. But what they do at 25?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Sad case that some associations take money and doesn't allocate for these funds. ;) Due to the high pay of the members, those funds got swallowed up. ;) The rich feeding the rich. ;)

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Before 2007 I think the German League was already showing the way.I dunno the current status as many Europeans dont even participate actively in this forum.From the WC 2010 we can see Germans, Russians,French, East Europeans coming thru slowly but surely.
    i think the European League together with the China League could make badminton a viable professional sport, just like football, it is a question
    of working with the BWF allowing some countries to have more participation and exposure in regional tournaments.
    It is a question of professionalism vs international participation, whichever can promote and sustain the sport better should prevail.
    Few organisations in this world can continue to live on government support and welfare, just look at the student riots in England now,
    the end of the welfare state?One day China itself may also have to apply the same squeeze.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

There should be analogies from other sports

eg 1.- Table tennis- China players get together for the World team events or Olympics or World Championships, the rest of the time they divide between the china league /Eu leagues with tons of money or the Pro Tour Events (SS in badminton equivalent).
    eg.2- Football- The US team is virtually made up from players from all Leagues, without even a local player.
    Some Asian football teams keep going backwards, imagine what would happen if they allowed their players to play in foreign leagues like the J League or US league. As it is they are only interested in looking inwards and protecting the jobs of locals.

5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree. One thing to consider is that in sports identification to one's nation is a powerful way to attract fans' attention, and that is what we have in badminton, but it is not helpful to attract the fans locally. We need other identifications, like city. That is what we have in football, clubs represents cities and it works very well. That is what club league could do also in badminton.
    In France the number of registered badminton players has exploded since 7 or 8 years, it is now one of the most practiced sport, but the competitions' organisation is still way behind. So there is a potential for a sufficient fans' support for professional bad, but we lack the organization, something that could put pro bad in the light.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I thought in China they go in younger? Like 7 y.o.(Huang Sui). If they dont make it into the national team, there's still the league.
    In Indonesia, there're a few private clubs who sponsor players(like Djarum), so players can still carry on playing.

Msia youngsters, those who are selected will go in Bukit Jalil Sports School at 13 the earliest. They study & train until 17, they sit for SPM, the O level equivalent of public exams. Then, drafted into BAM back up squad or choose to further studies. There is no private club(KLRC no longer trains it seems) or league for them to fall back to.
    If they dont make it they either :
    a) Further studies, if they can afford it or can get scholarships, provided academic results are ok
    b) Be a small time coach, teaching kids, beginners. If have enough capital, start academy like K.Yogendran(small time), CCM/CCE, LWW, WCH(bigger one).
    c) Go play in league in other countries like Germany. Yeoh Kay Bin did that I think.
    d) Go find regular job with their O level qualification, no many are good in their studies since they have to train for tournaments.

There are study scholarships for those who wish to pursue college studies & train at the same time, something which Ng Hui Lin(now independent), Lydia Cheah, Loh Wei Sheng(2010 AJC runner up) have taken up.

So, what LCW & co shareholders have done is good to train up budding youngsters, so that BJSS wouldnt be the only avenue.
    I did read about another similar venture that Cheah Soon Kit was involved in, but has been quiet since last couple of months, dunno what happen.

#26 eaglehelang, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Having said all that,I think the German and China league is a wish come true because it will give badminton a quantum leap.

We are always saying that the winners in badminton are enough for players to pay for their airfare,whilst the winnings in Tennis,

Golf or Basketball can afford to buy the plane.

If badminton money is big enough I am sure potential players will consider it worthwhile to take the plunge and go pro.

BWF is concerned with promotion but super leagues will really create industries everywhere,two different agendas,which can co-exist,

like other sports.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Exactly my mind.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I think it is a good thing for a private body to set up another centre to give the 'main' association a run for their money. No point pumping money back to the 'asso' since they already have govt funds. ;)

Since Looi BA and Indonesia is doing this. I wonder if sg will follow suit? ;) A private body will sure get the coaches and management on their toes and get them working harder. No time for lax... ;)

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Final 10 scholarship awards to selected trainees

Any BCers know if the final 10 scholarship have been awarded to the selected trainees?