Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm not sure how relevant are the above "mess" of statistics in deciding whether LCW or LD will remain as WR1 at LOG 2012. It is the future matches which count most for both of them.

I gathered from it that LD stayed much longer on court on average which could also mean he is training his stamina to last longer. He may have a bigger target in mind - the LOG. This is something which LCW should take note of in order to match LC's stamina ultimately.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    So far, LCW is still World No.1

:D:D:D Loh, Your thoughts are so different from ours (limsy, AlanY and me).

Both limsy and AlanY are just gathering data. Their comments are purely statistical (they didn't say who is better - LCW or LD ?). So far, LCW is still World No.1.

Since I started this thread on 06-April-2009 (2 years 8 months ago), LCW is remaining as World No.1.

And take note: I have also never said who is better - LCW or LD ?, but only saying that "IMHO, Lee Chong Wei could remain as World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games";

#982 chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No, I don't think I'm detracting from the subject. It is still "Will LCW remain WR1 until the 2012".

I never said LD is better than LCW or vice versa. We are talking about WR1 by then and the result should determine that.

As far as I am concerned AlanY has brought up relevant statistics which relates to the subject - to show how close the two rivals are on their trip to London 2012. And I added statistics to support the case that LCW is in danger of losing his WR1 if he is not careful and continues to be defeat by LD and CL in particular in future tournaments.

On the contrary, I think your thoughts are at odds with mine.

#983 Loh, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so,uncle loh,deal or no deal?

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It is now irrelevant that lcw is no 1. He will not win OG12 period. So what if he is or is not? lol.

Go play your badminton people. Dream on. lol. ;)

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am expecting a "No Deal"

I believe that there will be no deal. :D:D:D

From the title of our thread "Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?", there can only be 2 answers; YES or NO.

I believe that Loh is in the non-committal category, which is MAYBE. Therefore, it is expected that we will find a "No Deal". :D:D:D

#986 chris-ccc, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Or it could be read as LD should be more tired than LCW (by having 10%+ more time on court).

Or LD use the on court time to compensate his lack of training due to commercial commitments...

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The deal is useless because it can't be consummated. :rolleyes:

If all else remains the same, including the current physical and mental condition of LD and LCW, my vote will go to LD, barring injuries! :D So please wake up LCW or you'll lose your WR1 title by LOG 2012. :(

The problem with MAS is that there is no other player of LCW's calibre to help him deflect some of China's Great Wall rapid fire.
    In most SS, LD and company will be there to challenge LCW and the odds will then be hugely against him. :D

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    talking without action is nothing,uncle loh
    too bad i lose my chance to get a free access to SC 2013

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Will LCW win his seventh Malaysia Open crown in 2012?

NST released an article on Lee Chong Wei;

Despite LCW's struggles against the China shuttlers, will be the favourite to win his seventh Malaysia Open crown in 2012?

Source: http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/world-class-field-for-malaysia-open-1.21741

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

20 December 2011

World class field for Malaysia Open

THE Maybank Malaysia Open badminton championships will see the world's top 10 players in almost all the events in the Super Series tournament at Putra Stadium on Jan 10-15.

China duo Lin Dan and Chen Long, who have tormented Lee Chong Wei in recent months, will be coming and the keen rivalry between the three will be a treat for the local fans.

However, it still remains to be seen if Lin Dan will see action after withdrawing at the eleventh hour in three consecutive occasions since 2008.

Lin Dan did turn up last year but only to concede a walkover in the last eight to Chen Long due to a mysterious stomach ailment.

And the latter went on to lose to Chong Wei in the semi-finals.

Lin Dan may skip the Malaysia Open again, the only international honour he has failed to win, as he has been avoiding playing Chong Wei in his fortress except for the 2010 Thomas Cup, which the China ace won.

Chen Long and Chen Jin should be around due to the Olympic qualifying points while regulars Peter Gade Christensen of Denmark and Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia are the other crowd pullers.

Chong Wei, despite his struggles against the China shuttlers, will be the favourite to win his seventh Malaysia Open crown.

The Korea Open Super Series on Jan 3-8 will be the first event where Chong Wei and others will be competing before making the trip to Kuala Lumpur.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of NST :

Hard work ahead

By K.M. BOOPATHY boopathy@nst.com.my

A CHANGE in the Olympic seeding format has made it virtually impossible for World No 1 Lee Chong Wei to cut down on his tournament commitments over the next five months. China’s Chen Jin is a potential threat to Chong Wei’s bid to avoid an early meeting with Lin Dan.

If the Badminton World Federation previously seeded players based on their rankings a month before the Olympics, the seedings for London 2012 will be based on May 3 world ranking, four days after the qualifying period ends.

This has put a spanner in Chong Wei's plans to cut down on tournaments and focus more on training.

Skipping tournaments would mean sliding down the rankings and Chong Wei is desperate to remain in the top two to ensure he steers clear of nemesis Lin Dan till the Olympics final.

Lin Dan is World No 2 and if the current scenario is maintained till May 3, then Chong Wei will be the top seed for London and the China ace the second seed.

Badminton World Federation (BWF) has also made it more complicated by doing away with the outright knock-out system by introducing a 16-group preliminary stage involving the 38 qualifiers followed by a knock-out draw which will involve the 16 group winners.

Chong Wei will compete in at least six tournaments and said he will add more based on how Lin Dan fares.

"Seeding is going to be very important and that is the reason I need to still compete in tournaments. I have to avoid meeting Lin Dan until the final and I must remain in the top two of the world rankings when the Olympic qualifying period ends," said Chong Wei.

"China have several other players who will try to disrupt the ranking order and Chen Jin will also be trying to make it to the top four. I am not too worried about Chen Long though.

"Lin Dan has no pressure at all as he always says that if he doesn't, China can still win the other four events. This actually makes him even more dangerous as he has got nothing to lose.

"Although Chen Long has beaten me several times, I know how to counter him and it is a matter of getting it right in the coming tournaments.

"I have to be very focused and maintain my world ranking. I should be playing about six or seven tournaments before the qualifying period ends although I may skip one or two tournaments based on how Lin Dan fares."

Chong Wei is expected to play in the Korea and Malaysia Opens next month, followed by the Thomas Cup qualifying round in Macau in February, All England in March and possibly Swiss Open (March) and the India Open (April).

Chong Wei could also play in the Asian Championships in Sichuan, China in April if the need arises.

There is also the possibility Chong Wei may sacrifice his World No 1 status during the qualifying period but he wouldn't mind provided he remains in the top two going into the Olympic seeding.

Read more: Hard work ahead - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/hard-work-ahead-1.23463#ixzz1hQJhEDaE

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I always believe that when LCW trains/works hard, he is more determined to perform well. He only has not long to go before retiring.

I do hope that LCW will remain as World No.1 (and therefore seeded as No.1) at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Save LCW's energy for the Olympics?

Now, will LCW need a good rest?

By C. Sathasivam, Seremban, Negri Sembilan
    20 December 2011

BADMINTON: Save his energy for Olympics

The defeats in the Danish and Japan Open to Chen Long must be taken seriously by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) coaching committee. The early signs show that the road to the 2012 London Olympics is going to be challenging.

World's No. 1 Lee Chong Wei is due to compete in the Korean Open (Jan 3-8) as runner-up, and the Malaysian Open (Jan 11-15) as defending champion.

On paper, Chong Wei has won seven titles, made 11 finals and three semi-finals, but competing in all these tournaments has taken a toll on him. Chong Wei has been defeated six times this year by Lin Dan and Chen Long -- each three times.

Chong Wei needs a good rest. The errors that he committed in facing Chen Long on Saturday showed that he did not have his usual bundle of energy.

Chong Wei may be the Badminton World Federation's male player of the year, but Chen Long and Lin Dan rise to the occasion at the right tournaments to clinch the title, and the 2012 London Olympics gold medal will be their ultimate goal and aspiration.

BAM has a big task ahead. Even with a complete video analysis and scientific solutions, Chong Wei has lost six times at the hands of the Chinese.

Read more: BADMINTON: Save his energy for Olympics - Letters to the Editor - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/lette...his-energy-for-olympics-1.21817#ixzz1hg4wVhja

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    see uncle loh? told u lcw will still be 1st seed in OG 2012

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am sure that Loh would still be saying that there are still many months before the 2012 OG start. :D:D:D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes you are right and Congrats to LCW for taking the crucial KOR OPEN SSP.

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u are wise not to take the bet
    u know u will lost
    but it is just a hundred dollar lost for u
    haha

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's better to bet with satay sticks

Don't bet with money lah. ;););)

When betting with money, only one side is happy.

It's better to bet with satay sticks... Both sides get to enjoy the makan. :D:D:D

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Speaking of satay, will we have any this coming weekend? Question directed to everyone.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

limsy knows Kajang (famous for the best satay) well. Just ask limsy to take you there.