Help choosing MP99 or AT700

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by gsva1983, Nov 26, 2008.

1. gsva1983

gsva1983 New Member

Hi all,
    I have tried looking for a similar thread and have failed, so I am posting a new one. If there is an existing thread, I apologize in advance for the re-post.

I consider myself to be an intermediate player, trying to improve. I have been using a cheap Cab 8600Ti until now, and have saved enough to upgrade to a good racket. (Plus I could tell that my racket did not pack enough of a punch!!!:() My budget is < 200$

I was able to narrow down my search to MP99(3U) and the AT700(3U).

Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of both and help me decide? I use a lot of arm power and like to smash a lot.:D

Any other racket recommadation is also welcome.

Thanks in advance

2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    The AT700 is really head heavy and is harder to move around than the MP99. The MP99 is a good racket is all aspects while the AT700 is a all out offensive racket. If you're playing doubles, I suggest you get the MP99 since its much faster than the At700 and would be easier to defend with.

3. gsva1983

gsva1983 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I play doubles, so that makes my choice easier.. :)

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    In doubles, the AT700 would be a bit too slow but don't get me wrong, its an awesome racket but just not really that suitable for doubles.

5. gsva1983

gsva1983 New Member

Thank you ryim_ I will keep that in mind.

I also just found links to similar threads in the forum. I will browse through them as well. Sorry for the re-post, I should have been more patient in my search.

Thanks for ur help

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    MP99 is stiff and even balanced while AT700 is heavy head and medium stiff.

7. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    You should be able to get the MP 99 fairly cheap, as it's been discontinued and a lot of sites have it near half price.

8. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    ARM..go for AT700.MP99 doesn't really suits the arm powered player...especially if u're talking about smashes...

9. Ramster

Ramster Regular Member

Student
    Well you play doubles, so youre gonna have to defend once in a while and that being said, its muh harder to do so with the 700. The MP99 also packs quite a bit of power despite not being head heavy =P Itll take a little while to get used to...but go for it.

10. Cogarhen

Cogarhen Regular Member

I have been playing with both my 3U G5 MP99 and 4U G5 AT700 for a while.
    To me, the 4U AT700 is not bad at all in terms of defense, but definitely gives you a lot more power in smash. However, when I tried my friends's 3U AT700, it is much harder to move around and defend.

If you use your arm power a lot, then I think 4U AT700 would be a good choice since you get more power but only lose a little in defense. The differences of smash and defense between a 3U MP99 and a 3U AT700 however is kind of too much that I found it very difficult for me to play double with a 3U AT700.

BTW, if you want to develop your wrist power/technique, then MP99 is the way to go. This is why I have switched from my AT700 to MP99. Just my 2 cents...

11. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    if At700 is hard to maneveur in doubles, wouldnt it make ti10 1st gen harder to defend? since it's pretty head heavy and extra stiff?

12. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    having used both the old At700 and 1st gen Ti-10 (Both 3U/G5), the Ti-10 is a not too bad to defend with in doubles. The AT700 is a lot more head heavy in my opinion.

13. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    AT700 is too concentrated on offensive. You can still defend with it, just not as good as MP 99. If your arm power is awesome, try MP99 2U, it shall become your most trusted henchman.... :D