Adding rackets to the equipement review section

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by noppy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    as the title says can anyone add rackets ? i cant find anyway to do it if we can.

or is it just admins and mods that can ?

Noppy

2. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

good idea noppy...that section needs some updates!!! kudos to you for initiating it!

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

That section is obsolete. It was only brought back as an archive by popular demand I recall ... Wouldn't mind seeing it back up in full either, easier to navigate ;).

4. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    just seems a good idea and allows ratings/reviews by members without all of the irrelavent posts between, removing the need to read a million posts to find out info. and its perfect for someone researching one specific racket/brand

5. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

agree! so much easier to navigate instead of rummaging through pages of threads just to secure some stranded short reviews...

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think it's time as well to bring it back, it is good to have all reviews in the one place, more easy to find. Maybe we should put this thread in forum feedback ?

7. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    hmmmmm dunno depends where the mods look most often

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I personally prefer the forum way of organising racket review information. There are just too many racket models to review.

An improvement to the racket review information will be to have a list of structured thread, e.g. with titles "User Review: <brand> <model>" and certain required attributes in each "review", e.g. "Rating out of 5 in Power/Control, ...".

btw, this should probably go into "Forum Feedback"

9. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    presumably one review takes up the same amount of space as one post therefore if we are allowed to put up rackets on there and review them ourselfs there cant be too many? it just means there wont be a need for people to keep making threads asking about specific rackets as if its a specific racket only one or two people have they may not come on the forum often so if they could post a perminant review it would help.

the rating out of 5 is basically already done on most of the reviews people have the overall rating out of 10 stated, and a lot do their own ratings out of 10 for control/power etc

just my 2 cents

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

There is no disagreement at all the usefulness of such review threads. You already can do everything right here in the forum. Where the forum fails is in organising these reviews in a structured way which you (again) correctly pointed out.

Yonex alone already has over 30 racket models if we do not consider rehash of popular models like Ti-10. All the makers in, we will be looking in excess of 2-300 racket models (APACS has as many models as Yonex and then some). Forum mode is, IMHO, an easier way to organise this than a tree structure since the former always brings the latest reviews up.

At the micro level, what constitutes a review? A simple comment that "it's a nice racket" is good enough? Or do we need a more comprehensive definition? I suggested to have a structure be enforced because it helps the reviewer's line of thought and certainly gives a structure for the reader to follow. On top of the structural requirements, there need to be room for creativity of expression of course.

Incidentally, even having a static review page will not prevent anyone from posting request for reviews. That's just life...

11. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Bump we need a mod well kwun to see it

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I'm sure at least some of the mods are aware since this thread is moved to the feedback :).

I'd too love to see a better organisation of the racket reviews. Not in the market for any rackets now but still nice to read.

13. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    I for one prefer to read posts in racket threads, simply because you get to hear from other members. A lot of the time, the initial person who does the review may not be of similar playing style to yourself and with the freedom of speech from others, members will post up their opinions and hopefully, they can relate to you and help decide the best option for you. If one were to just post a review on the "equipment review" section, it is subjective and would not be comprehensive enough for someone who has hardly any knowledge of the particular brand/racket.

In addition, let me emphasize on the use of the Search function of the forum. It is literally the most POWERFUL tool on this forum =)

And I will agree with Weeyeh on the requirement of a structure for reviews. It standardizes and organizes the information so the reader can follow with ease. Perhaps, the Mods can start a topic to determine what type of structure requirements are needed for racket reviews.

14. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Does anyone know why I can't see anything in the review section? When I click on for example a racket review, I have an empty page..

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

okay, i just saw it. there are some items and pics to some links but yes, nothing in there..i believe those links/portal/review sections haven't been updated for a long while already..