Yonex ArcSaber 10 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jan 30, 2008.

1. docruben7

docruben7 Regular Member

all around racquet

Hi I just want to share to you my impression of arcsaber 10. My previous racquets were nano 8000, nano 9000x and s (unfortunately both my ns9000x and s had durability issues).

Up front, nano9000 series for me is the easiest racquet to use, best for quick attacks, and defensive blocks but it suffers from producing powerful smashes compared to nano8000 (whether bec. of my shot technique i dont know). When I started using arc10, I felt is was a little slow to use than nano9000 (even head design?) but what I appreciate alot is a very good control of shuttle. - by the way, I am using a nanogy 95 strung one piece at 26 lbs (which is my usual string and tension)

My slice and drop shots are more crisp and controlled. It seems that a nanogy string goes very well with arcsaber as I notice more repulsion of the shuttle during blocks as compared to a nano series racquets. The smashes that it can produce is similar with my nano8000 but more forgiving for mishits (wider sweet spot?).

Overall, as a serious recreational player arcsaber is a very good racquet... I am not sure for those amateur and professional players...

I pray that this is more durable than my ex- nano9000 x and s series. By the way, I got it from singapore and they gave me a very good price of only 278 singapore dollars with free nanogy 95 string, overgrip, case plus free stringing.

Hope my comments help, as ants and other reviews here greatly help me in my badminton questions

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I want to correct a typo error here. The height should not be more than 6mm, not 10mm.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Does anyone with the 2U ARC10 and 3U AT900P can they give a brief comparison of both rackets in power, control, feel...etc.

5. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    Finally got a chance to swing this baby.
    I have the 3UG5 with AC133 grip. Strung at Ah Shum's recommendation: 24/26 with NBG98
    Took few swings in the warm up and I manage to hit the frame 2 times outta 3. (yeah, what a n00b). Couldn't even get the back hand clear to the back court at the 1st few attempts.
    Things really turn around after valleying for a while. The racket is head heavy, I would say even feels heavier than AT900. Surprisingly, the racket is easy to maneuver and recovery is fast.

Comes game time. (single game) The feel is solid. Forehand clear and overhead clear are effortless and accurate. Took me some extra time to adjust backhand timing tho. Drop shot and net shot were easy and fairly accurate. I made significantly less errors during the games played today. I would say that the control on this racket is very good.

Smash is accurate and I would say the power I can generate from this racket is somewhere between AT900 and NS9000, very close to AT900. For sure it is more powerful than the Arc7 tho. I think it depends on your technique. I tried to use wrist mostly to generate power for a few shots, but it was difficult for me on this racket for some reason. Combined with more from arm, the power is pretty decent.

I am a beginner so yeah, this is just my opinion. It is a pretty good single racket for my level. I don't konw about playing in double and I may get to try on Thursday.

6. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    I will try my best here... but I am no pro, so...

I feel that the X is stiffer than the Arc10. Most significant difference is that I feel more vibration with the 9000X when hitting the bird (if someone knows what I mean and can rephase this using correct terms to be understood, that would be great).

Oh, and swing speed or recovery (esp the moment I lift up the racket and ready to strike the bird), the NS9000X or S is for sure faster. NS9000 feels much lighter too.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Vibrations mean some power is lost in hitting the shuttle-some energy has been absorbed by the racquet/felt by the hand instead of being used to propel the shuttle.
    You sure that the NS9000X is faster? NS9000X does not have a slender x-section and would not be a fast racquet.

8. docruben7

docruben7 Regular Member

yup nano9000x and s (including ns8000) are definitely faster racquets (i have been playing with these racquets for 2 years already) I do agree with the observation that there is more vibration noted in nano series racquets than in arcsaber 10. And the explanation that vibration results in energy loss do make sense to me since eventhough ns9000x are faster racquet it seem I can deliver more powerful stroke with arcsaber 10.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

FYI, the vibration difference (ARC10 vs NS9000-s both have about same shaft stiffness) is caused by the new T-Jint. ARC7 and ARC10 uses plastic T-Joint and it is bigger. It takes some vib off smash and miss hit. From my experiance with ARC7, it does increase stability for smash and clear. Also it does not take out too much of touch feeling on the net shots and slice.
    I am still waiting for my ARC10 from the evil empire.

10. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    huh? wut?? how slender are we talking about in order for a racket to be fast? I would think the balance of a racket is more significant.

11. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    i think both factors should be take into account..but i think, racket head dimension contribute more to racket head speed..ie. imagine swinging a head heavy box like frame..wont be nice...

and even if we do have a racket with head light balance..if combined with slender x-section...it'll cut thru air and move at a faster speed..

reminds me of my carlton AS-1 racket...light..yet powerful..awesome rackets. ^_^

Just my 2cents

12. TRDartz

TRDartz Regular Member

What should I string my Arc 10 jp with?
    I'm deciding whether to use the recommended NBG98 or BG80 at around 23lbs on 3uG4

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    To be honest, If you need to ask, I think you will be ok with either of the options mentioned!

my 2 c.

/Twobeer

14. TRDartz

TRDartz Regular Member

Thanks for your input. I current use a MP90 with BG68Ti. I like the control I get but it seems shots aren't too powerful (might be my poor technique).

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Anyone did a test of the 2U version?

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I string and do some modifications/then test a few NS9000 quite often. To me it is not a fast racquet at all. Its dimensions are moderately fat. If it trims down its x-section to about 10mm or no more than 10.25mm on its width and 6mm or less on its height (including the T joint bulge), then and only then can it be considered fast and maneuverable. But then at these reduced dimensions it may not have the power. Compromise and more compromises, that is what the NS9000 is about. Racquet balance is also a factor but not in the same way as a slim x-section.

You can swing two identical racquets, one with string, the other without. This gives you an idea of the effects of air resistance.

17. MSN04

MSN04 Regular Member

Engineer
    yes, someone on the chinese forum has a review on that.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

We have moved from heavy wooden racquets to lighter aluminium ones, and then to carbon graphite, and now to carbon graphite with a matrix of other high performance fibers. Over the same time, weight has also decreased from close to 150g to the 4U to 2U we see today. But we are still stuck with 2U weight category racquets for the last 20+ years for power.
    I think we have today the raw materials to dispense with 2U or even 3U weight categories. Power comes from racquet head speed (of course technique is important) and less from weight, as it should be. Lighter and faster racquets of say the 4U or lighter class is the way to go. If improved performance racquets of today still have to depend on weight for power, say a 2U, I don't think we will ever make a quantum leap forward. We need to think outside the box. Remember the shuttle is less than 5g in weight. You don't need a sledgehammer to it hit hard and fast.

19. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    :D You are right, just change the design of the shuttle...

Thanks.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Or better yet, use E-1000 ;):cool::D.