shuttle falls on receiver

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by rkmenon97, Nov 11, 2009.

1. rkmenon97

rkmenon97 New Member

Govt. Servant
    hi all,

what is the rule for the incident when the shuttle falls on the receivers body when he is out of the court?

regards
    Radhakrishnan

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    It is a point to the server.

The shuttle is considered "in play" until one of the following occurs:

1. it falls to the floor (whether in or out of court doesn't matter)
    2. it hits an opponent's body (which is considered a fault)
    3. it hits the net and is deflected back towards the hitter's side of the court

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Anytime the shuttle hits a player, regardless of whether he's in bounds or not, it's a fault for the player that got hit.

4. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Only when the shuttle is "in play". Read law 15 for when a shuttle is not in play, read laws 13 and 14 for when to call fault and let, respectively.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

I would have thought that was obvious. If it's not in play then you can't have a fault can you?

6. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    First, it is not so obvious that inprecise wording can be used. Second, it is definitely possible to be faulted when the shuttle is not in play.

Law 13: It shall be a fault;
    (13.5) if a player is guilty of flagrant, repeated or persistent offenses under Law 16.

7. druss

druss Regular Member

What are you a lawyer? How does law 13 have anything to do with what we're discussing since it has nothing to do with a shuttle hitting a player.

Let me be more precise then, it cannot be a fault if the shuttle is not in play in the scenario put forth by the original poster...

8. Wilson Shuttler

Wilson Shuttler Regular Member

n/a
    the straightforward answer is aslong as it hits any player on the court, its the oppositions point. ( i know, sucks eh) i remember the time i was playing in a tournament and the guy served while i was tying my shoe lace and it hit me on the head =__=

9. druss

druss Regular Member

Sorry meant 13.5 specifically

Now that should have been a let. It is not a fault on a serve if the person returning serve is not ready and makes no effort to return the serve.

9.4 The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall be considered to have been ready if a return of the service is attempted.

14.2 It shall be a ‘let”, if:
    14.2.1 the server serves before the receiver is ready (Law 9.4);

#9 druss, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I don't need to be a lawyer to understand the laws of badminton and to know that imprecise language causes confusion and loopholes.

Law 13.5 will apply if after every point when the shuttle is no longer "in play", a player purposely use the shuttle to hit his opponent. He will be faulted for misconduct and his opponent will not be.

11. druss

druss Regular Member

First... I've never seen anyone intentionally hit another player with a shuttle after the shuttle was no longer in play. Second, it STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL QUESTION!

You're causing confusion to the original poster by bringing up situations that has nothing to do with his particular question!

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

druss is half right. it would be obvious to any player who is familiar enough with the rules of the game.

hhwoot is also half right. it would not be so obvious to any player who is not familiar enough with the rules of the game.

but anyway, get back on topic please.

13. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

once shuttle hits floor or person or roof (in-house rule) then the rally ends.

even if it flies out of court and hits the receiver/s then it is a fault to the one that got hit and oppostion gets point. even if it flies out and the receiver attempts to hit but does not get over the net (if goes over, play continues until of of the above ends the rally).

and yes, if the receiver is not ready, then the service is retaken and a 'let' is played....

14. rkmenon97

rkmenon97 New Member

Govt. Servant
    Actually, what happened was the receiver ran to take the strike, he didnt get the strike and the shuttle fell on his body at that time he was out of the court.