Canadian National Team Players' Websites/Blogs

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by towbsss, Jun 3, 2011.

1. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    I'm not at liberty to say really, as I don't like to share other people's personal information, but you can check out her profile on the Badminton Canada website. It's slightly dated though, so maybe things could have changed (I know some of my things have changed since then :p)

http://badminton.ca/Players/Senior/National_Team/Team_Member_Profiles.aspx?sflang=en

Yeah, it's really a huge difference when you are traveling on your own, or maybe with just your partner. We have to book flights, hotels, and everything on our own, though Badminton Canada does help with tournament requests and sending our travel information to the tournament organizers. Unless it's a big event (any Games event, any major team event, and maybe World Championships), we're pretty much on our own. It does really change you as a person though, because you are very much accountable for what you do. A lot of us pull double duties, some help with going to the manager's meetings, some try to coach a fellow Canadian team if possible, or even coming out to cheer for a fellow player/team. Especially when we're all traveling immensely this year, it's good to have everyone support each other. Even with the rivalries with funding issues and little things that some players do that annoy other players, I would say we all get along pretty well. I guess deep down, though we may be different people, our goals are very similar this year and it's much more economical to work together than apart. Hmmm, maybe I will write up something on this after a bit more time. Who knows, maybe things might change? :p

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Couldn't get many photos of the Canadian team last year. Guess I was more interested in watching the play:)

[​IMG]

Adrian Liu and Derrick Ng after a tough match.

3. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    Why you don't play the "Russia Open Grand Prix Gold?" I think you would have done very well in that tournament.

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    thecomedian, are you a member of the China national team by any chance ? you seem to know alot about the system operated in China badminton federation and been watching various tournaments matches.

Toby , I really enjoy reading your blog , it gives as an insight in to what professional players does and shown that you guys are just like one of us (the love of food !!!). It is interesting to know that there are little funding from badminton Canada and that the earning is relative small compared with other sports (even when yourself is in the top 25 in XD). It is so intriguing to know tat you have to watch your money .i.e. sharing hotel rooms and complaining about the cost of the taxis . ....I have to say the travelling look fantastic ...exploring the world. It must be great for you to meet other world classe players i.e. LJD /JJS and have a mutual respect

Look forward in reading the Indonesia Open Blog and your verdict on your XD matches against one of the top XD team in China

5. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Toby,

How difficult is it to get into the QF or the SF of a SS or SS premier , and is that the stages you are hoping to reach for the upcoming SS before the Olympic ....i.e to get those ranking points.

Also what do you think of those scratch teams that been put out by the top badminton nations i.e. China and Malaysia who are not seeded but are capable of winning ss titles, does that make those tournaments harder to past the first two rounds ?

Like you said only top 16 doubles team would qualify for Olympics , but since a nation can only put two teams out if both are in the top 8 , and that a nation can only put one team out if the 2nd of their team is outside the top 8. It means that a number of teams would be omitted. Therefore the targets would be about top 20 by the end of the qualification period to be in the Olympic , is that what you have in mind as well ?

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Don't forget this one: "Each continental association has at least one qualificant, but only if the pair is ranked 50 or above in the BWF ranking. (A NOC can only profit twice from this rule)"

7. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    No, I am not a member of the Chinese National Team. But I am training with someone who was (or would have been if it wasn't for his bad heart). I am in the right circle of people for Chinese Badminton. I have what you call "关系" or "connections" with the right people. In China, "关系" is how the country is run pretty much. You can do anything and everything if you know the right people.

8. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete

Possibly, after looking at the entry list and everything it wouldn't have been a bad tournament to play (especially for our Women's Doubles teams :p) but financially, it's probably quite costly to play that extra tournament.

To be honest, we are currently NOT funded by Canada, but are appealing the decision and hopefully things will be resolved at a hearing next week. It's tough because I'm a badminton player, not a lawyer...

Historically, even making a QF is extremely difficult for Canadians. It is a goal we hope to achieve, but even breaking through the first round of a Super Series is something Grace and I have not done yet. Though the points aren't as good as winning an International Challenge, I think it would be a good breakthrough and give us more confidence if we were to do that. Though Singapore and Indonesia were our first attempts in a long time, I think we are still looking for that breakthrough win. Ideally, we would like to legitimately make it into the Top 16, but I guess it depends if we can get that breakthrough win soon enough. We always have the continental spot to fall back on at the moment, but that will not stop us from trying for a higher goal.

From an Olympic qualifying perspective, it does not matter too much whether scratch teams make it through, because all the teams in top countries are tough regardless, but for Olympic qualifying purposes, if they only have a team in the top 8, everyone else down the list is cut, and if they get 2 teams in the top 8, everyone else is cut, if they get more than 2 teams in the top 8, that's even better as everyone gets cut and other countries have less chances of qualifying 2 teams. Either way, there's really nothing I can do about it anyway, so I try not to worry about these things :)

Also, Indonesia SSP will be posted shortly... just uploaded all the videos. I'll have the MD QF between Ahsan/Septano [INA] vs Koo/Tan [MAS] and XD QF between Zhang/Zhao [CHN] vs Tao/Qing [CHN] as well.

#28 towbsss, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  9. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I am not sure I understand why the government is not funding you properly. There are more people then the entire population of Canada that are funded AND paid and sponsored to train and play badminton for China. It just doesn't make any sense. They should at least fund you for transportation. You are representing your country. In China, I am the only foreigner here in the Guangdong circuit. FZ pays for me to travel to different matches around the province. I lose all the time :p but I am funded by FZ China. i still think you should search out companies that need global advertisement. Like "UPS" or some kind of phone or car company.

10. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Frankly, Canada doesn't really care if you represent the country unless you have some kind of podium potential at World Championships or the Olympics. As for corporate sponsors, I guess it'll be a matter of time. I'm hoping if I can get more exposure for the sport, then just MAYBE something can happen... no idea when though...

On a brighter note: :)

http://towbsss.blogspot.com/2011/07/2011-indonesia-super-series-premier.html

The last match will be uploaded shortly, I forgot that I didn't have it uploaded yet.

11. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    That system in Canada does not make any sense. Do they not understand that for players to qualify for Olympics they would need large amount of funding in the first place. The sport government body have to put money in if they want to see more success on international front and success in the Olympics . The funding should be rationalize better between different sports and it is unfair for players who is representing their country needed to be self-funded .

When comparing with other national teams , Canada was placed in Level 2 of the Surdiman cup which included Hong Kong and they are entirely (mostly) funded by the government , with many high profile sponsors ...they have a team (tour manager , coaches , physios) paid by their sport government body that travel with the players ; and everything is organized for the players. My point is they make it easy for their players thus they dont have to worry about anything apart from winning on the court. Seeding wise Canada is not too far behind Hong Kong !

Anyway , lets hope you get some good draws for the SS and get (your breakthrough) into 1 or 2 QF/SF before the end of qualification periods as it would be a good experience ..

and we will be following you guys on TV / Live stream BWF

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think it's more interesting to know what Badminton Canada is doing. I mean only a few of our players qualify for minimal individual government funding at the moment by having reached round 3 of the Worlds last year which is only like $300 a month to cover some costs iirc (top 16 finish; top 8 finish = maximum funding but is still at most ~$1500; = %70 of minimum gross income >= 23y.o.). It's the federation that covered the cost for national team members and about a third of their annual income is generated by membership fees (annual contribution paid by all badminton players who are members of a club under the umbrella of the national federation which are pretty much all clubs in the country. I guess in turn the whole league system is run by the federation).
    Ofcourse the four best single's players, whom you don't have to worry about :D, are no longer national team members due to sponsorship conflicts and are paying their own way as well, or I should say their main sponsor does at the moment and at least untill London.

Oh yeah: thanks for the MD vid icon14.png :cool:.

#32 demolidor, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

~$1500 is based on the current exchange rate I must clarify, in real money it's about €1000 euro and it's 'at most" since it's basically just topping up any existing income you might have through work up to 70% of minimum gross income = same as being unemployed.

I guess I should also add another big part of the federation's income is government funding or more precisely through the national olympic commitee which get's a lot of money through the Lottery. Ofcourse with a small population this money pales in comparison to the likes of a UK/England's lottery funding which is practically paradise or so some critics have said ;).
    But I guess it's still better to have a small population in a small country than a small population in a country the size of Canada's ...

Are you using two cams by the way? Just noticing the Singapore XD vid, game 1 is 4:3 480p and game 2 is 16:9 720p ...

#33 demolidor, Jul 3, 2011
  14. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Just seen your XD match at Indoniasia open against HHB/Yu Yang . I consider Yu as one of the best WD player in the world and she is as good as anybody in XD as well. This pair would be capable of beating any of the top 8 XD so the draw has not been too kind to you guys, but it was a nice match to watch and should not be too disapointed . I think you guys would learn from this experience and found areas that needed to be improve on .

#34 staiger, Jul 3, 2011
  15. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Actually, here is my filming method:
    - If I film the entire match (needs edits), then I use Standard Definition (480p) to make editing easier
    - If I am the one filming (usually), then I can use High Definition (720p) and upload straight to YouTube, uncut
    - I'm using a Samsung Camcorder with an 8GB Internal Hard Drive, and additional 8GB flash cards. I can go as high as 1080i, but that would make uploading even crazier. Besides, I can get more matches with 720p =)

Yup, it was tough playing HHB/YY but it was a great experience nonetheless. They are a pretty funny team to watch as they are quite animated on court in between rallies sometimes :) It makes them a little less intimidating and makes the match a little more enjoyable. Anyway, the other XD match has been uploaded and posted between Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei [CHN] vs. Tao Jia Ming/Qing Tian [CHN]. I was hoping for something like the 2010 Japan Super Series XD Final, but oh well :p

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Out of interest is the person you are training with Xie Zhongbo ? (Just a guess:p)On topic: Toby just keep doing what you are doing and you will get to London :) you and Grace have a really good chance - Good Luck :)

17. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Are You playing in the world championship next month in London ?

If so , is everything organized i.e flight ..accommodation , training facilities.

Good luck in the US and Canadian open !!!

#37 staiger, Jul 3, 2011
  18. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Yes, a bunch of us are heading to London. Stephan Wojcikiewicz (MS), Michelle Li (WS/WD), Charmaine Reid (WS), Adrian Liu (MD/XD), Derrick Ng (MD), Alex Bruce (WD), Joycelyn Ko (WD/XD), Grace Gao (WD/XD), and myself (XD). I believe this will be the first World Championships for both Michelle and Alex :)

What we get from Badminton Canada is $500 toward traveling fees and that they will send a National Team coach with us (Jeff White). Unfortunately, that's all we get... but it'll be nice to have an actual coach behind us on court :) Oh well, it is what it is...

19. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    No, my coach's name is 杨硕宇 Yang Suoyu (I think that's how you spell it. I just call him Ben :D) But I have heard him say that name before "Xie Zhongbo." Update me. Was he he Lin Dan's Coach before? I will ask him and tell you later.

#39 TheComedian, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Xie Zhongbo is not LD's coach, Xie Zhongbo, used to be a XD/MD player. But he has practically disapeared from tournaments after he had to retire from a tournament in the middle of a match. I think because he had been complaining of a heart problem or something. And hasn't really been seen since.Xia Xuanze is the man who sits behind LD usually when playing matches, not Xie Zhongbo.:)