Marc Zwiebler

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cooler, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    I noticed this too when he was playing against Sugiarto. It just makes me appreciate him as a player even more.

I'm really rooting for him to beat LCW tomorrow even though it seems unlikely. Nothing against LCW personally, I'm just so sick of his domination in the SS events.

2. swunk

swunk Regular Member

I bet Mark is a very inconvenient opponent to play even for top-seeded players. He has his own style with a lot of soft blocks and pushes, varying the pace of shots hugely. Watching him play in the semi-final I think he gained a lot in his game, hope he can keep up with the speed of LCW tomorrow and dictate the pace of his own like in the game of today.

3. Henzington

Henzington Regular Member

Student
    He has a very aggressive playstyle which helped him to absolutely destroy Tommy Sugiarto. Tommy also seemed very annoyed and maybe was thinking that Marc doesnt play REAL badminton. Imo, Marc has too much power to focus on keeping the rally long. Also, his footwork is a bit sloppy and a bit too energetic, so thats another reason to keep smashing as long as you can ;)

He fits the style of a typical german player :)

4. phili

phili Regular Member

I think it's quite the opposite with Marc. He does not have the power like LCW or even Tommy Sugiarto but he stays in the rally and once he got his opponent under pressure he won't let him get out of it.
    If he really wanted to keep the rallies short he would most definitely not keep flicking from the net.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Don't know if it is available to re watch, but have a look for his game against yanus in round 2, you can see Marc's long rally skills

#65 craigandy, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  6. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Think missing the Sudirman Cup gave him the extra energy he needed. He played a sound tactical game last week
    Marc is fun to watch he can pull off some really classy shots from time to time. Hope he can push on from this final and win a Superseries event

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

This guy plays beautiful magical badminton ;)

8. shosasakigamba

Buyer
  9. shosasakigamba

Buyer
  10. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Cool video. Too bad though that they're using dubstep. For a country with such a rich history of electronic music, Herr Zwiebler came up with dubstep ;) ?!

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Congrats to MZ for his win against CL in the China Open SSP. Waiting for the video.

12. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    [video=youtube;mJVv5lodoT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJVv5lodoT4[/video]

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    ^ Thanks. Mr. Epic.

14. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Thanks for sharing the video.
    This one does not work. The fixed one has also many many problems.
    I have to say, that i´m sad for seeing this stream (not the match):
    The quallity is so bad with many synchproblems. Many, many discontinuties in the very interesting 2. game. The end of 2. game is also not working.

Recording is defect, or upload on youtube?!

Bye,
    thegrobi
    www.badminton-tips.de

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Marc Zwiebler wins 2015 Prague Open

Zwi.jpg

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Pretty sad that he didn't manage to win the Swiss Open '16 yesterday. Nevertheless he played an extremely strong week an at least won one new fan.... a very small one... [​IMG]

You can literally see the disappointment written on her face...

Justin L likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I've checked with her, she's unhappy because Marc didn't give her milk.

18. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student

Very interesting insight into MZ's development, helped a lot by Malaysian players. Nice to see that there's a tight knit community out there.

s_mair and Fidget like this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Marc just announced that he will retire after the '17 World Championships. Here's what he wrote on his FB page:

"Hey friends, fans and supporters from all over the globe!

This is probably the hardest post I've ever made but it's time for this step: after this years world championships I'm going to retire from international badminton!

I've been around the tour and chasing my dreams for around 15 years now and looking back I can say that I've been incredibly lucky.

I could travel the world and was given the chance to do what I love for a living. I didn't archive all my goals and was devastated on many occasions during this time, but in the end I archived more and got rewarded for much more then I could have possibly imagined when I was a teenager!

Getting an insight into so many different countries and cultures of the world is more valuable than titles and money. I'm happy to call a lot of people good friends whom I never would have met without this fascinating sport! THANKS to all of you for always treating me as one of yours and for inviting me to your homes and families! Especially Indonesia and Malaysia feels like a second home for me…you know who you are ;)

Of course NONE of this would have been possible without the endless support of my family and friends back at home! They caught me when I was falling and they made sure that I stayed with both foot on the ground. I´ve lost a few friends along the way because sport required most of my time and energy, but i guess thats the price you have to pay as an athlete.

Also a big THANKS to YONEX, who supported me all the way for almost 20 years. Not just with equipment or money, but also as advisors and friends and they stuck with me even when the future didn't look promising. Thanks for always believing and supporting me!

There's too many other institutions and persons to name, but without my association, my home-club 1. BC Beuel and my current club 1. BC Bischmisheim, Deutsche Sporthilfe, DOSB, the team of Olympiastützpunkt Saarbrücken, LSVS and doctors and physiotherapists around Germany i would have never had the chance to become who I am.

A special thanks to my coach Xu Yan and all my other team mates and coaches to have endless patience, kicked my ass when i was lazy and gave me space when i needed it. I know I was far from easy as a player but I hope / think that after all we had tons of fun together!

I'll stay connected with badminton in many ways: I'll be playing the German league (and hopefully some international leagues too) and I'll try to get elected into BWF Athletes Commission to make sure the players voice is heard.

Another project related to badminton is the app called stringster (www.stringster.net), which I hope will boost Badminton's popularity around the world.

At the end of this year I'll try to end my Master of Arts in General Management and I'm happy to become a part of Recruitcon GmbH (www.recruitcon.de), a HR-recruitment business consultancy for small and medium sized enterprises.

As you can see I think it's safe to say that I won't get bored, but I guess a decision to turn your life around 180 degrees is never easy. I've been thinking about this step for the last 6 months because I felt that my motivation to work hard and do the extra step wasn't as high as it used to be. So after all I'm happy with my decision and it gave me extra motivation: to end my international career in the best way possible!

European Championships, Sudirman Cup, Thailand GPG, Indonesia PSS and world championships will be the last tournaments for me and I'm looking forward seeing many of you!

THANKS from the bottom of my heart to all of you who were not named here, all my fans who shouted and cheered for and against me and the incredible amount of volunteers and crazy people involved in badminton for the love of it! You make us players to always give our best and empowering us to go far behind our physical and mental limits!

Last but not least and big THANKS to all the other players around the world! It was an honor to play and fight against you. Apart from the rivalry (with all the small "dirty tricks" ;) ) I always felt comfortable spending time and sharing thoughts with you. I'm happy that we always treated each other with respect and I hope everyone of you reaches his goals on and off court!

What's left to say? I'm proud to say I've played my part in Badminton-Germany's development and I hope the young guns will fill up the gap pretty soon! If there's anything I can do just let me know!

Enough with all the talk now, time enjoy the weekend and to prepare for Europeans in Denmark!

THANKS everyone, speak to you soon!

Marc"

A hard blow for German badminton to lose its only remaining Top10-capable player on the tour. It has to be seen if Fabian Roth will be able to fill in anytime soon.

#79 s_mair, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  20. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Thanks for that post, @s_mair .

MZ is always a hard-worker on court. He seems a very intelligent man who will succeed in Life after badminton. Good luck to him. :)