Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Another blow for Koo Kien Keat as Rexy talked of his protege's arrogance in today's Star...hmm....

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Kien Keat too arrogant for his own good, says Rexy

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Coach Rexy Mainaky sees Koo Kien Keat hitting the road of decline in his badminton career with his arrogant attitude.
    Rexy was disappointed with the failure of Kien Keat and his partner, Tan Boon Heong, in the Beijing Olympics where they crashed to a tame quarter-final defeat by eventual champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia.
    In his post analysis of his charges’ performances and conduct at the Beijing Games, Rexy was most irked by Kien Keat’s attitude.
    [​IMG] Koo Kien Keat
    “I can accept the defeat (in Beijing) but not the manner in which they took the defeat. I think that Kien Keat’s biggest problem is his arrogance. I would not mind if this is shown on court but unfortunately, he is also arrogant off-court,” said Rexy.
    Rexy gave a few examples of misconducts, including “a disappearing act” without notifying him or the team manager after the defeat in the Games.
    “Yes, Koo is a top player. But all these, successes and praises, will go to past one day. He may think he is still good even though the results showed otherwise,” said Rexy yesterday before presenting his report to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) coaching and training committee.
    “My job as a coach is not only to make him a good player but also a player with humility and good attitude. When you are humble, others will pray that you will succeed.
    “Maybe, I am not the best coach to help him to be a better player. I will let the BAM decide on his future with Boon Heong.”
    Rexy said that he did not mean to be a sour grape by hurling criticisms at Kien Keat.
    “Of course, whatever I say now will be construed wrongly, especially when it is done after the failure at the Beijing Games. But I mean well. I only want the best for my players,” he said.
    The Indonesian, who had many times poured out his frustrations over the lack of commitment from Kien Keat-Boon Heong, still believes that there is hope for the pair.
    “There is hope if Koo can think and act the same way as he did when he was winning titles after titles in 2007,” said Rexy.
    “If Koo can get his act right with Tan, then, I am confident that they will be the strongest candidate for Malaysia at the 2012 London Olympics.”
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong were overnight sensations since they won the Asian Games gold medal in Doha in December, 2006. They went on to win the prestigious All-England and the Open titles in Malaysia, Switzerland, Denmark, Macau and the Philippines.
    But their form has turned cold this year.

3. ssertere

ssertere Regular Member

WOW... i haven't heard any of INA coach talking in public about any failed INA player. Rexy too hard to them.

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hmmmm, judging from what Datuk Nadzmi said, Yap Kim Hock could be training some of the MD too, maybe Yap can train KKK/TBH if later they are still together as a pair. Then less drama.
    They seemed less tense when Pang is guiding them last year during Macau & Denmark & other tourneys.

Ssertere, now only you know, Rexy is like that one, will scold in public.

#584 eaglehelang, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hard.....?
    now, it is not the coach problem, it is the player problems.....;)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    when rexy make those public statements, he already had given up on kkk, he's a lost cause. He is hinting to BAM, if they (BAM) still want to keep him, don't put him (kkk) under him (rexy).

7. ssertere

ssertere Regular Member

good for their mentality :)

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    huh???still strongest if so???mean no improvement from others or what?:confused:

9. victory

victory Regular Member

Rexy is a good coach. However, I must also say that at times he can be very emotional. He rap his MD players many times openly and he himself threathen to resign twice!( And some of the forumers blame KKK threathen to resign! I don't understand.) Altough I do not doubt his good itentions of wanting the players to improve, I doubt this is the most effective way to deal with KKK issue. I think personal one to one talk to both KKK, TBH, KKK/TBH toghther is much better. In addition, probably get YKH, Datuk Nadzmi and professional counsellor involve is very neccessary.

I have a feeling that KKK/TBH partnership issue is getting out of hands of Rexy. I agree with what eaglehelang said earlier , it seems that when Pang is
    coaching they feel less tense up. I guess they really feel the heat when Rexy is standing at their back. I hope KKK/TBH are not trying to distance themselve from Rexy. If the rapport is not there, no matter how good Rexy is( and no doubt Rexy is a fantastic and passionate coach), he can not be most effective with KKK/TBH.

10. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    When your son's teacher told u that your son is a naughty boy, do not respect others in the school and lazy, what will you do? Will you punish your son? Or simply dont care about what the teacher said coz you believe your son is a good boy and The teacher is simply accusing your son?

BAM should take diciplinary actions against those arrogant players. Threaten to quit badminton if splitting him and TBH is unacceptable as a professional player. Others might follow what KKK did in the future against BAM.

''Kerana Nila Setitik, Maka rosak susu sebelanga''

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    good advice from Dato.
    please do interpret it for others to understand. ;)

12. eaglehelang

My conclusion was not just from The Star article but the other press. Uncles were also blasted for the OG failure but they're retiring. Rexy mentioned in the malay press, Utusan M I think, that KKK/TBH are still young, can be moulded while uncles are a lost cause.

KKK is in the 'list' for 2012, Rexy himself put them in the list - this was reported in 2 or 3 press, so couldnt be wrong quote. There're other players who are not, and I'm not talking abt the 2 uncles. If Rexy given up on KKK, he wouldnt put KKK/TBH on his list for 2012 OG. ;):D

And TBH is oft said to be Rexy's fav student, Rexy very seldom blast TBH in public. .

BCers, look at another way, Rexy blast those whom he think has potential, no potential one, he wouldnt even bother.

#592 eaglehelang, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wah...u is saying tbh is...erherm......:p...haha...good post...and...still...i agree...

14. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    This is the 5000th post for Eaglehelang.:cool:

15. eaglehelang

:D Dato, you sindir kah? ;)

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    No. Instead it's a milestone:D:D

17. victory

victory Regular Member

18. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER

19. amaze

amaze Regular Member

If KKK can go to the extent of saying he doesn't wish to split with TBH as his partner or quit the sports, we'll have to rethink all this report about him not being on good terms with TBH, don't you think ?

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...sure...as tan express same things to...:D