Ankle injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ichiigo, May 16, 2010.

1. flashback3003

flashback3003 Regular Member

I've almost had an inversion for over 10 times before... :) thing is i manage to somehow immediately spring back into a normal landing position after i feel a massive jolt of pain(from bad landing position). Instinct...?

2. Koooko

Koooko Regular Member

Bankers
    Guys, i have several question to ask here. Lets say i had ligament tear between my fibula and tibia bone, will the ligament recover on its own. Lets say if its a complete tear, will it heal on its own too?What are the food or vitamin supplement that are reconmmended for my type of injury. Ortho doctor call me to stop play heavy sports for 6months.I think i can (die) because of that.T_T.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    There's really nothing you can do diet wise to really help you heal significantly faster. Just eat healthily with a good balance of fruits, vegetables, starches, and meats which you should be doing already if you're not. There is no specific diet that can shave off a month of healing time like that, you just have to rest and possibly do some physical therapy stretches. That's probably the best thing you can do rather than change your diet. I know how it feels to suddenly not be able to play your favorite sport for months when I had a concussion. It sucks, but the alternative is that you reinjure yourself by trying to play while injured and possibly getting a permanent injury.

4. Koooko

Koooko Regular Member

Bankers
    Thanks for the advise Tactim.Ya, i've already started to eat balance meal when i had that torn injury,Doc call me to stop doing sport for quite some time, thats why im quite sad with the duration that he is giving me(6months). I can grow old with that.T_T

5. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

Had an ankle sprain 3 weeks ago. went up going for a smash and landed on my left ankle inverted. saw a chinese doc who did acupuncture and put a black paste on it. 3 weeks later, it feels close to normal but not quite. I played last thursday and yesterday. yesterday the ankle was very sore after 2 hrs of playing. So back to the resting it is for me. i hate not being able to play. everybody in my group has some sort of injury at this point.

6. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I'm sorry that happened, sprains always suck to have. Another piece of advice to EVERYONE, start investing in an ankle brace when you play, unless you have very good footwork. There is a saying, a prevention is better than a cure. Ankle braces limits your ankle from going too far beyond your natural range of motion, but at the same time it doesn't decrease your performance like many people think. It looks and feels restricting, but once you start playing you can't even tell it's there. If you get a brace, don't get the elastic ones that slip on your ankle, they really don't help that much. Get ones that you have to lace up, or have a lot of velkro straps.

I personally use http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/McDavid-Ultra-Light-195-Ankle-Brace-9p79.htm

It's a little bulky and you might have a slightly tough time fitting into your shoes, though normally loosening one lace on your shoe should be good enough.

It's helps a lot when your ankle almost ready but you have slight soreness still. Also if you do happen to resprain your ankle with the brace on, the injury is not NEARLY as bad than if you sprained your ankle without the brace. I had this happen once, but the pain went away the next week and I could start playing again. I have been sprain free for almost a year now with the brace, so now it's more a prevention thing (for both ankles, i only sprained my right one though). My right ankle is fully healed after I had badly sprained it, lasting about 5 months of nagging pain.

The brace is on average $25-30 us dollars at a sports store.

7. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
  8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I'm sorry that you injured your ankle that way, in fact that's exctly how I injured my ankle a year ago (still some nagging pain if I play too hard). McDavid is a good brand, but the one you have linked doesn't provide the adequate protection you probably need. The one I linked awhile back (post above yours) is the one I use and is very good. Lacing obviously takes time and it takes equal amounts of time to adjust the tightness of the brace, but it provides very good protection (I've sprained my ankle once minorly with the brace on, and the pain only lasted a few days before I was able to play again the next week). I haven't had any major sprains since then.

http://www.amazon.com/AirCast-A60-Ankle-Brace-Medium/dp/B000S0Y3AA

This aircast ankle brace is also the other popular one for badminton players. It's also used by World #4 tennis player Andy Murray from what I remember and his ankles seem to be fine.

9. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
    thank you! i had a hard time walking today T_T. will try to get one aircast 60

10. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Make sure you get the correct brace. They have specific braces for the left and right foot.

11. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
    oh okay thanx for the reminder!

12. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    I've ordered 2 Aircast A60, one for either foot, from America, and hopefully it should arrive sometime next week.

Twisted my right ankle 3 weeks ago but was able to put weight onto it within a day or so. X-ray revealed that there was no breakage but a heavy sprain. Been resting and strengthening with a wobble board. Can jump from it and land on it and can even jog lightly on it. But, as some of you already know, an ankle injury will stay and will not fully heal (swelling to go right down or disappear) for a long while, so ankle braces are for precaution.

13. S11_CI

S11_CI Regular Member

Can vouch for the Aircast A60, use one since a ligament tear and ankle fracture last year. On a couple of occasions it's stopped my ankle twisting.

I'd recommend a range of exercises for your ankle to rehabilitate - as well as the wobble board, you'll want to try hopping forwards and sideways on the affected ankle, and then with your eyes closed.

If you have a wobble board and can stand on it without issue, introduce movement - such as throwing a ball against a wall - to increase the difficulty.

Once you're able to do all of those, I'd then suggest high impact work, such as jogging, jumping etc. Also look to incorporate some footwork exercises into your warmup routine to increase agility.

14. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    The Aircast A60 is good but it lessened the flexibility of my movements in the game for sure.

15. S11_CI

S11_CI Regular Member

Depends on which foot and your footwork.

For myself it was on the left ankle, and so being right handed this has less bearing on my gameplay.

I've spotted very good players with them on both ankles and it doesn't seem to impede their flexibility of movement in the game. I'm not sure how it would either, given that it's the ankle over rotation that it protects, not the general foot movement / weight distribution.

16. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    I totally agree. I've not had any problems with wearing the ankle brace. My movement has pretty much returned to normal, but there is still some slight hesitancy in going for certain shots. Hopefully, with time, it will recover 100%!

17. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    This is my 4th year of using A60 and after experimenting all ankle brace there are available in the market that can be use playing badminton, IMHO NONE can beat A60 from the point of:

- Weight
    - Prevention against inversion and eversion sprain
    - Comfort

No doubt when i first try it, it was very odd to have something attached at your ankle other than your socks while wearing your shoes but as i've used it regularly ( playing 5 times/week @ 3 - 8 hr ), i can tell you that i've treated it similarly like my other badminton equipments in which without any of it e.g racket, shoes etc, i'm not wearing a complete set of badminton attire.

What is most importantly after using it after this many years, it has boost my self confidence and moral as there is something that i'm wearing at my right ankle that i can depend confidently to increase my chances of preventing a recurrent ankle sprain. In other words i felt more secure wearing it more than not wearing it.

I'm not an A60 sales agent but what i can assure you that my performance of play be it in training or participating at high level tournaments until now has not deteriorate while using it and as it brings more good to me, i think it would also bring good to anyone who has history of ankle sparin that wants that highest level of ankle protection at the same time the comfort of wear while using it.

The only down side that i've noticed is its durability. At my frequency of play, a single A60 used at my right ankle will only last anywhere from 1.5 - 2 years before its velcro become useless.

SS

#57 shooting stroke, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

where do you get it in malaysia? and how much?

i'm wearing on my right ankle, but now my left heel hurts. maybe due to the difference in height & cushioning caused by my thick bracers messing with my weight distribution when i land from a lunge and jump :S

thanks.

19. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I've forgotten the name of the place where i bought it in kl but i still can remember its location. I'll mail you the details once I'm back in kl.

20. terrencelbt

terrencelbt Regular Member

I have ankle pain 2 months ago without any reason (not twisted nor being hit by something). I rested for 1 week and took medicine prescribed by doctor (some painkiller pills and anti-inflammatory gel). Then I started playing and jogging again. At first, there was not much pain but after a week or two, it became painful again. I stopped playing for another 1 week before starting to play once again. Now my ankle is painful again. :(

What should I do to stop the pain once and for all?
    Do I have to stop longer to heal completely?

#60 terrencelbt, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012