Genuine Karakal?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sketchy, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Just wanted to check if this is legit:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Karakal-Red-M-Tec-75-Adult-Badminton-Racket-Full-Cover_W0QQitemZ300293648942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Badminton?hash=item300293648942&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The store seems okay, and I've never heard of Karakal fakes, but £35 (incl. p&p) for an MTec-75 seems "too good to be true" - and we all know that's usually a bad thing.

Is it just old stock do you think? If so, is there any difference between the new and old models, besides the paint job?

Thing is, I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now, and I reckon I can afford £35.

Also: anyone have any experience with the MTec75? How does it compare to the MTec80 for instance?

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

never seen a fake karakal, don't think the demand is high enough to make it worthwhile.
    however, having said that, you really never know these days.
    i'm not sure how we'd be able to help you though, there's no picture to view and no much else to go on.
    you can else check the seller's feedback and see if anyone's accused them of selling fakes or hope that someone on the forums traded with them before and get some feedback firsthand.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That does seem a lot lower than everywhere else. Could it be year-old stock?
    Since the seller seems to be a real business, why not put the question to him? He has eight in stock, so you won't lose out by waiting for his response.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    There just isn't a market for fake Karakals - not enough people play with them. Somebody got an MTec 85 for £22 shipped off Amazon so I don't see why that one would be dodgy. If you're looking for an MTec 75, buy it and enjoy it.

The MTec 75 is identical to the MTec 80 other than in its looks and weight. It is very easy to use but if you can't swing very fast, you'll struggle to generate power with such a light racket. The only difference between the old and new models is the paintjob, in performance terms, they are identical.

#4 Danstevens, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Have a word with Frances at WATDON. They sell Karakal at good prices also.
    I bought the SL70 for £48.00 inc delivery, arrived next day!

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Thanks guys.

I'll talk to the seller.
    My personal preference is for borderline 4U-5U rackets (80g BK, 81g Prince etc), and power has never been an issue. From what I've read, it seems like the MTec75's actual weight is about 80g, so it should be ideal.

I just hope the model on sale is the black & red one, as the blue version is pretty ugly.

7. mrdunkleysexy

mrdunkleysexy Regular Member

Hi, I purchased the mtec - 85 off amazon for £22 (as Dan mentioned)

I was sent the blue version:), Too be honest Im not too fussed on the colour of the racquet, its what you do with it that matters on the court

I test drive my new mtec tonight (orginal strings) playing doubles for 2 hours

I know you cant judge a racquet after one session but il let everyone know what i think of it

8. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Sounds like a bargain, but just a bit too heavy for my liking.
    I know the color shouldn't matter, but I've ended up with 3 other black & red rackets, so it would be nice if it matched.
    Good luck though - hope it works out for you :)