Should BWF change its present world ranking system?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Loh, Sep 26, 2009.

1. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Until all badminton players stop playing for country honor and start playing for personal achievement, I don't see any system will work.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmm..^^

..tennis is more pro than badminton...but are their WR systems better??..:confused:

3. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Not better. The ranking system works because every players play for one and only one objective, that is to win all tournament for themselves.

4. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Come to think of it, if I am BWF, I would have 2 systems.

System-1 (call Current World Best Achievers) no money for this!! :p
    No. 1 - Lin Dan (for winning the most major tournaments)

System-2 (call Player Of The Year xxxx) get US$5,000,000. :D
    No. 1 - Dato LCW (only if he can maintain his ranking points till end of the year)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmm..^^

..unfortunately, the driving force behind tennis is not the same as in badminton..and yes, that's $$$...

And it goes back to the age old discussion in this forum of when will baddy tourneys start to provide incentives or offer prize-money like tennis...

Lower ranked players would definitely love to play as independents, but knowing the prize money given to those eliminated in R16 or QF in reg. tourneys or even SS are so minimal to almost none, what's the incentive for them to play in more tourneys??..
    How about 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th place finishers??..how much would they get??..
    Reality is, the majority of baddy players still need funding from national team simply because they can't really survive by playing independently. Not in the current economics of pro badminton.

Only players like Taufik (who has a good financial backing) would probably enjoy it. LD, maybe not before he became the top player as today.
    ..Dato LCW is already limping on one leg and the yr is not even over yet...:p..Where would they get that $5,000,000 sponsorship??..:p

#25 ctjcad, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    you have remind me of an old chinese saying.
    "limping one leg for the rest of time, you still able to survive 3 generations"
    :D

now, who said badminton not enough earnings?

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Given what has been said about the poor incentives for lower ranked players, do you think that BWF should prohibit higher ranked players (say WR1 to WR50) from participating in GPs or the like. This will prevent them from depriving lower ranked players from earning some hard-earned money.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It all goes back to the money issue..

- Only players like LCW or LD or TH or CJ can most likely earn those prize money. How about the incentives for the rest of the lower ranked players??..
    - Dato LCW is still being taken care of by BAM (and the tax payers lah). He's not fully independent and can fully take care of his baddy career..;)
    - As for BWF putting a cap on higher ranked players in GP or GP Gold type tourneys, i think they could do it but i'd suggest up til WR#20 or 25. Further, if they're not going to allow those higher ranked players to compete in GP or GP Gold tourneys, then they should increase the prize money of the higher ranked tourneys (SS type) or increase the no. of SS tourneys (and keep the same amt of prize money).
    If they don't increase the prize money for the higher ranked tourneys, some higher ranked players could complain that BWF is being discriminatory by not allowing them to play in other tourneys...and on and on..:p

- Speaking of prize money being offered, I'll give another example of how far apart tennis is in comparison to badminton. Take a look at this ATP 250 level tourney that's currenty in M'sia.
    http://www.malaysianopentennis.com/event_facts.html.
    Check out the prize money being offered ($947,750) and there are only 28 players competing. If one were to divide the prize money with the number of players competing, equally, at least each player will get around $34,000 (of course that's not going to happen because there are 2 different events).
    I'm not sure what's the equivalent of that ATP 250 to one of BWF's tourneys, but my guess is it's similar to one of BWF's lower ranked tourneys. Compare that prize money with the current GP tourney (one of the lower ranked tourneys), in badminton, where it only offers a min. prize money of $50,000 (over 5 different events)....Imagine that and we're supposed to see badminton players going pro/independent??..:confused:

#28 ctjcad, Oct 1, 2009
  9. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

or just look at the tennis us open vs. badminton us open at like ocbc the former talks in the millions I think it was 21 mil total prize money or something? and the badminton us open not even half a million.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You meant..

..it's not even half of quarter a million...;)

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    actually
    for me
    wr is simple
    determine the seed
    determine who need to play in qualify round
    thats all
    what more so important?:confused:

so,any different with bwf?:confused:

yes
    i do agree with this
    any player that in top 28 cannot attend gp gold,top 44 cannot attend gp
    can?

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

why only top 28 can attend GP Gold? why not top 30 or top 20? what's the basis?
    why only top 44 can attend GP? why not top 40 or top 50? what's the basis?
    what if higher ranked players complain they are not given enough tourneys to participate in/earn money?
    :confused:

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    top 28 is the main draw player in ss
    so they CANNOT attend gp gold,i didnt wrote can:p
    top 44 is 28(main draw)+16(qualify round)
    8 ss+4 grand slam+1 ss master final:cool:
    and team event.
    not enough?

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- Those 28 players in the main draw are not necessarily ranked WR1 to WR28 in the world. The 28th player in the main draw could be ranked 30 or 40 or even 60 in the world.
    - Same thing with the top 44 players in the main draw. Not all of them are ranked WR1 to WR44 in the world.
    - Are you expecting all players to attend every single tourney & go injury free for the whole yr? Take for example Julia Wong. She's injured and can't compete in half of this yr's tourneys.
    - Team events do not provide prize-money; only can get through national body/people's tax money mah, if the team wins...;)
    - IMO, it's both not enough tourneys and prize money being offered. Even if they're enough, how many players can attend all of them and be happy with the prize money being offered?
    Would you, limsy, go and participate in a $50,000 tourney knowing well if you get eliminated in R32 or R16, you have a small chance to earn $200 or even less?
    :confused:

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    do my post hard to understand?

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- So, why can't a GP Gold tourney allow player w/a WR higher than 28 to compete? Why set it to only the top 28 players? Why can't it be set to top 20 or 25 or 30 or 35?
    My point was, why limit the number of tourneys a player wants to participate in. If, for example, Julia Wong is ranked 26th in the world, has been out for 1/2 yr and just recovered from injury, but she has 6 months left to play in the yr, why can't she compete in GP Gold or GP type tourneys? Why only allow her to compete in SS type tourneys just because she is ranked in the top 28??
    - Yes, that's one of my suggestion to increase the prize money. But what is the reality??
    Do you think 13 tourneys is enough for top 28 players w/the prize money being offered??..
    - If you don't need the money, then you must be loaded, like Taufik..;)
    - Sorry, i had to re-read your 1st point above...:p

#36 ctjcad, Oct 1, 2009
  17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haiz
    abit speechless:p

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- I don't quite get it..??...I guess what you're trying to write is, BWF rules only allow the top 28 ranked players to be in the SS main draw??..is that what you're trying to convey??..
    - I mean, if she was ranked 10th before she got injured then dropped all the way to 26th but is ready to play again. Does that mean she can't compete in other GP or GP Gold tourneys?
    - That's what my suggestion (a few posts back) involves. Increase the prize money and/or increase the no. of tourneys.
    That way, a player like Julia Wong who was injured and out for a long time would be able to compete in additional tourneys, even though she is ranked 20th or 28th by the time she's ready to play. That she's not restricted to play in other GP or GP Gold tourneys just because of her WR.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha
    i mean i suggest:crying:
    fainted already
    ok lah,need to doasignment already
    case close

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    How much have the world's top 50 professionals earned todate?

Compared to the world's most successful sportsmen, Tiger Woods, professional badminton players are earning pittance!

The way BWF tournament prizes and incentives are currently awarded to the professionals, I wonder how those who hardly qualify to the QF stage can ever survive "adequately"!

A breakdown of the world's top 50 badminton professionals for the past 5 years would be useful to reveal the truth. But can we ever obtain the details, the information, the transparency?

Those in the top bracket should include LD, TH, LCW, PG .... What about the ladies? How much are we talking about?

Here is an article on the awesome Tiger. Keep on dreaming BWF pros!

The Straits Times
    Oct 2, 2009

Woods breaks US$1b barrier

LOS ANGELES - TIGER Woods has become the first sportsman to break through the billion-dollar earnings barrier, Forbes magazine reported on Thursday.

The 33-year-old American, who has won 14 majors, reached the latest landmark of his career when he won a US$10 million (S$14.2 million) bonus for his FedEx Cup victory last weekend.

According to the magazine's calculations, Woods went into the 2009 season on US$895 million which included prize money, endorsements, appearance fees as well as money earned through his golf course design business.

Even before picking up his end of season bonus, Woods had earned US$10.5 million on the USPGA Tour this year, winning six titles.

Woods has been the top-earning sportsman since 2002 when he took over from former Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher.

His most lucrative commercial deal is with Nike and brings him over US$30 million a year.

Forbes estimated that retired NBA star Michael Jordan will be the next sportsman to earn US$1 billion.

Jordan amassed around US$800 million in his playing career and continues to make US$45 million a year thanks mainly to a deal with Nike. -- AFP

Attached Files: