Please review on GOSEN RYOGA SERIES

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jason1975, May 27, 2011.

1. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
    Bought the issen. kinda hard to control at first very wild i would say, i don like balance racket, as power seems to drop, and drop shot are becoming harder. my first 2 hours with my issen is that i found it is amazing the power is lower than VT80 but the maneouvorebality (wrong spelling) :p was excellent, i was a front court player (doubles) but now with issen i can play easily at the back generating enough power to smash as it was not easily returned, and with little bit of skill i can manage to play up front with precision. I used BG 66 Ultimax 25 middle 26 straight. But still its a wild racket i need to tame it first by using it and get used to it. tq. Shiden and VT80 is very different to me btw as Shiden is indeed very balanced. therefore Issen 3u and VT80 3u is in the same category (Both very very heavy head thus generating more power on smash and strokes with ease). VT80 gives more power and Issen sacrifies a lil bit of power for better control. and racket such as these is suited for 26 above lbs player i guess so.

2. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
  3. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

4. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

I own all the Ryoga series before and has only kept Shiden :)
    Issen is a wild animal yeah, excellent for driving, the head heaviness does not work like a sledgehammer like VT80, AT900, AT700 does. The 7.0 shaft makes it a little too flexi for me, but it could work well for others. Definitely a very forgiving racket with loads of power.
    Shiden is incredibly fast for a 89g factory weight (w/string) racket. My current Shiden is 98.5g at BP280mm but feels much faster than a NS9900. It is stable and stiff but just simply too fast as it has virtually no air resistance. Faster than the latest braveswords. A very all round racket that packs power, subjected to your swinging action.

5. afiq89

afiq89 New Member

Student
    I own issen and i find it too wild for me. is tenbu/shiden suitable for me? Im a regular double player, i usually love playing front court quick kill and drive fast at the net and placing drop shot, but i do smash 3-4 times before using drop short if i am at the rear court. So what would you suggest me ? would like to know ur oppinion, im using 25lbs string currently.

6. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I have 2x Shidens strung with BG66 Maxima at 26lbs... And it is AMAZING!!!! However, I will definitely say it's a doubles racquet... Drops are easy to execute and smashes are fast and precise... But it lacks the head heaviness required for singles I find..

7. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Bro , shiden's frame is smaller than tenbu , if u can use oval without hitting the frame regularly , u can consider shiden , if not tenbu will be a better choice.
    As mentioned , shiden has more power than tenbu , but the smaller frame compromises defense , especially during receiving smashes.
    Shaft stiffness : Shiden > Tenbu > Issen.

8. afiq89

afiq89 New Member

Student
    thanx alot dude~!!! tested my issen again, and again i fail to hit decent smashes but its very easy to go for a drop shot and very easy to confuse my opponent with trick net shot. but then again i lose power at the back as i tend to hit not at the sweet spot i guess. any other racket from gosen or victor that anyone would suggest for me to use? double player front court love to go for offensive

9. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Bro , i suggest u spend some time , asking a friend to keep lifting for u to smash n try to hit the sweet spot. if it still does not work , den u consider to let go , getting used to a new racket needs time , it may take weeks or longer , just keep using it , do not change back to ur previous comfort racket when things dun work well , it will only lengthen the.process. For tenbu is excellent in defense n control , but is a little lacking in smashing , if not its the best front man racket from gosen.

Hope it helps :D

10. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Do you find that the frame of the Shiden is not really oval in shape? I thought its more 'isometric' than the Arc Z.

11. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Yupp , shiden is not really oval , compared to tenbu , shiden' frame is more narrow at the crosses but longer at the mains , its looks like tenbu n shiden are having the same frame area but shiden's frame is sort of a regular iso frame being compressed by exerting force at 3 n 9 o'clock area.

Arc Z's frame is smaller than regular ovals , i once compared with cab 30 , only to find that cab 30's frame is larger. So i suppose Arc Z is the smallest frame racket available.

12. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

I have left Shiden aside for a long time now and started using it recently.. It is amazing lol.. especially for doubles.. I played really powerful smashes and excellent drive with it.. I really like the new colour of shiden.. but I already got the old one (blue) :(

13. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    is this racket made in Japan or China?

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Ryoga's are not ovals but in betweeners like Z-Force, Carlton Vapour series, etc.

But Yonex released the Cab50 this year if that news for some reason passed right by you ;). Gosen and Mizuno also have modern ovals still: Roots Gavun Aermet Pro 6000 aka BRA60P and Grapower Aermet 88 Long aka BGA88L :D (and a couple of others). The latter of which seems to be the allrounder ...
    But these are all "long" 675mm rackets compared to the oldschool 665mm Cab20.

15. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Thank you, thank you for highlighting all these, time for more reading and testing !! :D

16. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

i have the cab50 as well as the cab35, they feel the same to me. :(

17. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Wondering if someone can put my mind to ease about my racket being fake or not. I've brought an issen from Thailand in ss sports in central plaza. They're a chain and are listed as a store under her Thailand distribution Page.

Things that are strange, does issen come with carbon handles for g6? I've just stripped my grip off and the grip looks like soft wood colour wise and it's got staples and screws in.

Also the serial number on the shaft starts with rgws and then 5 digits. Which doesn't match the gosen distribution codes I found for older gosen rackets on a Page here on BC. However it is laser etched.

Otherwise the paint decals seem perfect and shaft is stiff.

#137 Rimano, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  18. Iffara

Iffara Regular Member

Serving Shuttlecocks
    Hi friends. Can help refer me to anyone who is selling the shiden. Shop or BC seller. Keen on getting it. Thank you.

19. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

Planning to try the Ryoga series. I tend to like really stiff racket. My 2 current racket is a NS9000 Type X and Mizuno tetracross 700. Which racket would be most similar to the one that I current have? Anyone have any suggestion?

Secondly, anyone know if there is a difference between version 1 and Version 2 of the same model?

20. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

Based on what u r looking for, Get the shiden! I m completely addicted! Goodbye one decade of yonex!