The impact of bad linecalls on MSF players in KO 08 and CO 07

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Birdwood, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I have to agree with you that some kind of actions on the incident should be taken, possibly meter out punishment to LD and LM. But WBF has to do this even-handed and has to get to the bottom of the issue, which was a series of bad line calls, one at a critical point, and inconsideration by the umpire to LD's request for LD to possibly lose MS title in KO 08. Unless BWF can do both at the same time, any hash punishment to LD would be viewed as unfair by Chn.

As to your point "The earth moves on with or without you", I am not sure. This is a typical thinking in US because one takes responsibility for his/her own action(s). But in the international arena of sports :eek: If BWF's decision on LD was not received well by Chn, alienates Chn baddy team and offends Chn politically, Chn may boycott KO 09 and other SS. Then what will happen to international baddy? Can BFW ill-afford the consequence of an all Chn pullout? The earth may move without LD, but will baddy move without Chn? It's a lose-lose situation and no one wants to see that from happening :mad:

If you understand Chinese, you might want to take a look at the "Documentary of China Badminton" http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50768. It will show you that Chn was not invited to international baddy tournaments after "new" China was established in 1949. What happened after that? One can draw own conclusion :cool:

2. sepang

sepang Regular Member

As an org, which moderate the international badminton activities, should not be afraid of taking serious actions against the health of the badminton. Otherwise, what is the purpose of having such org in place? If they are afraid of all Chn pullout and leave it as it is. All sports will laugh at WBF.

No one want to see lose-lose situation; however, rule must be set and must be followed. If violate the rule, then you have to pay for it.

Someone guessed LM said something to anger LD. Should LM be punished? Then, LYB said to break LCW leg, should LYB to be punished? As a player, you should learn how to control yourself and focus only on the game. This is a learning experience for LD and LCW as well as all of us.

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I totally agree to hold everyone accountable based on the rules. But it appeared to be more complex this time than simply LD did something or TH did something. There was a series of events leading to the point of boiling over. It's very difficult for BWF to meter out punishments proportional to how much each side should share the blame. BWF shares the blame too for an out-dated line-judging system, which is hardly working. I think WBF will take a symbolic action against LD or anyone, nothing substantial to avoid further aggravating or escalating the situation since it did appear LD had won the point and could possibly have won MS title in KO 08 without the bad line call.

I don't think it's BWF vs. LD, but BWF vs. Chn :eek: In my opinion, BWF will rather concentrate on fixing the problem instead of confronting thorny issues :rolleyes:

btw, I am not familiar with the quote "LYB said to break LCW leg". If you care to elaborate, we could go into that for further discussion, otherwise I can't give my opinion on your question :cool:

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, it's all lead back to bwf fixing the problem from the source, error prone human line judging on this suppose to be the fastest racket game (shuttle speed) on earth. So far we have 2 star players, TH and LD, involved in 2 highly heated incidents because of 'supposed' poor line judging. From past videos, i also saw bad call on peter gade, kenneth J, plus many other pros. It's time for BWF to do something of real improvement. Swifting different umpire/line judges on different matches is just cosmetic changes. Humans still make errors, intentionally or unintentionally.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-That..

..was somewhat brought up/discussed upside & inside out, but the phrase/comment was probably taken out of context; yes, it should be discussed in its appropriate sub-forum (a few BCers might lead you to the origin of that)..;)

6. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Correct. Since it was told by sepang as a fact "Then, LYB said to break LCW leg, should LYB to be punished?" and a question was posted to me, I had to respond to his remarks. Unless he brings a more complete picture to this thread, I can't go around BC forum and sub-forum to read every posts for all the relevant facts. That topic should be discussed somewhere else :cool:

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

That incident happened in WC 2006 in Madrid. It was LCW vs China MS, I think it was BCL,definately not LD. LYB shouted "Break his legs" in Mandarin, it effected LCW psychologically, LCW lost the match. In that incident, LCW was critised by many (Msia govern, media, fans)as mentally weak.

I think Sepang point is : The coach (LYB) made provacative remark, wasnt punished. So, should Li Mao be punished? Of course this incident is more dramatic.

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I just have one comment:

Lin Dan swept over Lee Hyun Il 21-4 and could have won it in the second set. Yet, he missed those matchpoints. The same thing happened in the rubber-set, before all those controversies set in. If he won it at that time, we wouldn't have all this bouhaha.

So, who was to be blamed, if not for Lin Dan himself :cool: He had the chances to seal up the match without any controversies and he failed to do that.

Move on ppl......

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The camere/hawkeye system was covered in Msian's press today :
    from NST

BWF must act before it's too late

29 January, 2008

THE Badminton World Federation (BWF) can't say it wasn't warned. The unsavoury scenes that marred the Korea Open men's singles final on Sunday were just waiting to happen. A number of players, led by 2004 Athens Olympics champion Taufik Hidayat, had spoken before about how difficult it is to have fair play in several countries.

Taufik, when in Kuala Lumpur, named the countries with South Korea and China among them.

In the Korea Open, Lin Dan erupted with fury when a shot from Lee Hyun Il that was clearly out was called in and briefly, it seemed that a free-for-all would break out as coaches from both teams threatened to enter the fray.

The call came at a crucial moment as it allowed Hyun Il to save the match and go on to win the title.

Disturbingly, such injustice will happen again and with China already having proclaimed it is eyeing a clean sweep of the five gold medals in the Beijing Olympics in August, BWF has to swing into action.

Badminton can't afford to be tarnished by dubious line calls in Beijing, not when it is still an infant in terms of its status as an Olympic sport.

Since badminton became a medal sport in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, the BWF -- or the International Badminton Federation as it was previously called -- has worked hard to maintain its status.

The scoring system was changed a couple of times as BWF tried to find the right formula to keep fans interested and sponsors coming in

The time has come for BWF to introduce the Hawk-Eye technology that tennis is using. Cost is undoubtedly a factor but with badminton growing at a phenomenal rate, BWF has to take the next step if the sport is to progress.

The advantages of the Hawk-Eye were clearly seen in the recent Australian Open Tennis Championships as unsavoury incidents were mostly avoided.

BWF has a good thing going, and it must work hard to ensure this continues with an incident-free Beijing Olympics.

l EITHER the Malaysia Hockey Federation or its alter-ego, the Malaysian Hockey Confederation, is now more than a million in debt. The lesson for national associations is to think carefully before committing themselves to expensive hosting jobs.

While the quality of the Champions Trophy is undoubted, the price that both associations have to pay is high.

The idea of hosting the Champions Trophy was to provide the national team with valuable exposure ahead of the Olympic Qualifier in Japan in April, but this could have been done at a fraction of the cost had the squad been sent to an invitational abroad.

Even worse, the credit standing of whichever association responsible for the tournament has suffered a blow. And it would be wise if from now on, all associations carefully study the implications before bidding for hosting jobs.

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Remember the case of HKO where Referee from China has said something to anger TH to walk out......Did referee get fine from BWF? NO.....Did TH get fine from BWF? Yes....
    BWF has to do something about it like Referee who was in charge in HKO 2006....you cant say like to the player..." you do not like the rule or decision...dont play""" this hsow that referee was not qualified enough..plus he was the one ( in recent CO 07) to create many problems for CO 07 also...( he was deputy of Referee head)....
    Having said that...I wont be surprised that BWF would call both of them and the player may get punished like TH...

Comparing this KO's incident and TH in HKO was nothing but TH did get punishment....Incident in KO involved more violence...thats sad!

11. nazree

nazree Regular Member

trainer
    WBF - is the ROOT CAUSE of the problem !!!

When the incident happend during recent KO 2008 , eveyone is trying to put the blame into someone . IMHP , the " ROOT CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM " is definately due to "WORLD BADMINTON FEDERATION" lack of professional management in BADMINTON as a whole .

LIN DAN happend to be their latest victim , followed by LCW , TH , etc and the list will carry on as long as those " MORON " :eek: up there keep doing nothing and nothing and nothing .

BADMINTON FANS will loose everything as time to come until we do have professional committee members in WBF .

Frankly ..i pity the players and the fans . :crying:

12. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Sepang u got right into the money, BWF should not be dog and sniff over other players butt..
    They should just set strict rules and adhere to it
    Punish the troublemakers, if players decided to boycott then thats their own problem, it means less price money for them and putting their own sponsership in risk

13. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    btw, its not WBF, its not IBF, its BWF!!!!

14. nazree

nazree Regular Member

trainer
    Opsss ... spelling error :D due to unbearable anger ......

15. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Another first time argument here for blaming player not finishing the match sooner as the cause of a major confrontation :eek::eek::eek:

I did not have cable Astro to tell you about G2. But in G3, bad calls were coming well "before all those controversies set in" plus LM's constantly bothering LD while behind LD during the match, don't you think these factors contributed to LD not able to finish those match points :confused::cool:

16. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

If you know any video about this LYB incident, please let me know and I can take a look at it and will let you know my comments. Since it was said in Chinese, translation into "Break his legs" is not something I can fully comprehend. Do you know the exact word used in Chinese? That may help. If LYB had done anything unprofessional or unethical in KO 08 or in the future, I would write in a same way about his bad behavior as I did here.

17. takeshi

takeshi Regular Member

I agreed WBF should take responsibility & the root cause for this. What a POOOOOR management!!!!

If Korea can do this dirty judgment to China, I can't imagine what will happen for the next China Open SS!!! Maybe Korea will not send their player to China & China won't play in Korea anymore in the future.

If this not stop, each country will soon take revenge against each other. Corruption will set in.

Player must given full authority to change lines man at his request.

Hope someone from WBF will read this forum.

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Again, as pointed out earlier by vching, it's BWF

19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

She’s very patriotic, that’s all I can say. I hope she did not cloud her judgment of shuttlecock landing by her feeling. There are many causes for bad line calls: bad vision, bad training, bad angle, speed too fast to register, etc., not always intentional. But, biased linesmen are the worst of all to deal with. How can a host country root them out in the first place :confused:

20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    reading from your comments, i feel like you feel that the injustice that happened to LD in korea is more important than the injustice to LCW in china because according to you LD could have won the KO if not for the last call that he did not agree with. however i feel that both LCW and LD might have been robbed but i think LD was luckier. why? because the umpire was not biased and thus LD had four bad calls turned in his favour. and that was why he could still score so close with LHI. you seem to think that LCW would have lost to BCL anyway in CO because of the score difference but please remember LCW had an umpire from china, who even faulted him when he tapped the shuttle one time in front of the net. he did not get any break. whatever close calls was always in BCL's favour. he may not threw his racket like LD did, which is noble of LCW to me, but he might have realized there is no point in trying to fight it since the umpire and the linesman seems adamant that he will not win the match. people can see that LCW was not playing his usual self in that match with BCL. i am not saying BCL did not deserve the win but i truly believe that if the umpire and linesman had not been very biased the fight would have been closer than that. but nothing can excuse the racket throwing of LD. he might have been angry, he might have been feeling pressured and agitated but badminton was never ice hockey and i hope will never be. he could have done so many other things like walking out like taufik did, or simply did not do anything like LCW did or maybe even throw and smash the racket in his half of the court but throwing the racket to your opponent's side of the court is not acceptable on any level. whether he was aiming at someone or was simply throwing without aiming at anyone. when i watched the video. i saw LD throw the racket out of frustration and not aiming at anyone in particular. but maybe after he threw the racket over to the opponent's side LM said something. maybe even curse him. maybe because he feels that LD was aiming the racket at somebody even though LD was not. and in turn LD reacted to whatever LM said. what really happened? only the people on that court at the time knows. we could only speculate.

i really dont think LCW should be intimidated even if LYB did say "break his legs" simply because he was nowhere near his opponent. they are on different side of the court. unless LCW was boxing or running alongside his opponent could the opponent maybe physically break his legs. and if it was merely a figure of speech then LCW should have just ignored it. LCW is still working on his mental strength i think as we can see from the outburst in the WC2007. hopefully he will be better in the future.

#120 azabaz_ipoh, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008