Yonex Nanogy 98 New String (NBG98)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ants, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Vincevt70

Vincevt70 Regular Member

Sales
    That's interesting. I know NGB98 is a more slippery string....that's why I thought it moves so much. Feels like I'm playing tennis! I also tried BG85...VERY good string...no movement...but didn't last that long.

2. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

maybe because you naturally slice a lot in badminton? That could be one of the reasons why your strings don't last as long.

You could always give a harder/stiffer feeling string a try? I think they tend to move less.

3. sl3ge

sl3ge New Member

Hi guys,
    I have Nanogy 98 white colour is it SP version?
    I forgot to see the cover

4. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

never seen a white version.

98 is available in cosmic gold, silver grey, yellow, red, pink, black.

The place where I get my racket string only has the gold and silver one.

5. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

pink is for the girls you see :D i wish they did the same for BG80

pink arc9fl string n grip.jpg

6. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

Can anyone comment on tension retention of NBG-98 vs BG-80?

7. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

I personally feel NBG98 has a very slight edge in tension retention over BG80. And NBG98 is at least 50% more durable from my many previous experiences. BG80 does not last more than 2 months for me and NBG98 is still intact after 3 months. In fact i have never broken an NBG98!

8. mizivincible

mizivincible Regular Member

Feel like trying out the NBG98 JP. Based on the the usual setup of 27lbs BG66 or Ultimax, should I go for the same tension on the NBG98 ? As it has same diameter of 0.66.

Hopefully the repulsion is as good as Ultimax tho.

9. istringforyou

My personal view is if i m using 27LB for BG66, i can suffice with <=26LB for BG66Ultimax and perhaps >=28LB for NBG98 (SP). NBG98 (SP) requires a higher tension to exploit its strengths. But i feel that NBG98 (JP) is entirely different. It is slightly crispier/harder than its SP equivalent. I am still waiting for my NBG98 (JP) [New packaging] to snap to know its durability. Maybe it will never snap like my usual NBG98 (SP) :) I will go for >=27LB for NBG98 (JP) if i were in your shoe. But then again a difference of 1LB may not be felt depending on stringer and equipment.

Though Ultimax and NBG98 have the same repulsion rating, my personal feel is that at the same tension, Ultimax has a slight edge.

ericsuryajaya likes this.
  10. mizivincible

Owh, cool, thanks for the heads up. I might maintain at 27lbs, but my recent Ultimax which strung at 26lbs on MX80 does last longer (in term of tension and crispiness) compared to prestretched, but still it wont last more than 3 weeks (I play around 15-16 hours per week).

The catchy part is the tension retention is better compared to Ultimax. Its more saving in longer run. I dont break string, my problem is the tension loss over time.

p/s: You were right on the NS95, the more I play the harder I feel, hehe, maybe when I was trying it out I was fresh, but nowadays constantly play with it its hard to generate power, hard string, high tension, nice to play for a while but after that kinda suffer tho.

11. istringforyou

Oh mighty oh you are really 'invincible', play 15-16hrs a week and dun snap strings at high tension! :D

Give NBG98 a try, it retains tension fairly well, good in high tension, repulsive, durable and forgiving. Just a slightly bassy sound and slippery for non JP version. Have you tried other interesting strings like Babolat Finebraid Micro, Kason P-75, Gosen R4X110, VS850, BG80power?

Fair to NS95, it retains tension fairly well but just too hard for regular play.

12. mizivincible

Haha definitely not, Im beginner-average type of player :eek:

Surprisingly any of my strings doesnt even fray after 3-4 weeks of hard session, but after that I feel the tension is not right anymore I'll send my racket to restring. I guess the non-snapping strings part is because I dont hit hard enough, and I constantly switch between 2-3 rackets. Or maybe it takes longer than a month or two for a string to break or giving sign of fraying. Or, my regular stringer is the one who is "invincible", yeah that could be it !

Owh, like the other thread I mentioned, I couldnt play with VS850, BG80, or even BG85. I guess Im the type of thin string guy.

I see, even the SP version is good enough ? Might save me more to try it out rather than straight for JP version. For now I will just stay around 26ish lbs depends on the string gauge. Playing with 29-30ish lbs is nice especially for its accuracy but it has taken its toll on my body especially my shoulder, so going for thinner strings and lower tension is the solution now.

13. istringforyou

Try out the SP string first and see if you like it and let us know :) I really suggest >26LB for NBG98 not just from my personal experience but also shared by some other international stringers that i know. If you want good repulsive strings at low tension, nothing beats Ultimax/Maxima and ultra thin ones like Zymax62, Li-Ning AP62 and Gosen R4X100. I have done Ultimax (SP) at 25LB and still feel good with only <2LB loss after 2months. It snapped before it can have the chance to put me off by becoming a dead fish :)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It lasts me about 3 months per racquet (I rotate four racquets at any one time)

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the silver gray color NBG98 is very very close to white. my supplier never used to get them but recently they got some in stock. i still like the cosmic gold color as it is what i associate NBG98 with.

NBG98 is the 2nd most popular string among my customers, behind BG80. i'd say 1/2 of my customers string BG80, 1/4 strings NBG98, though the number of NBG98 customer is growing and i keep finding myself adding more NBG98 every time i order new strings.

i wish pink NBG98 is more widely available.

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    yes. n98 pretty lasting for me so far. ;)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have found that the silver gray nbg98 has less durable coating. seem to wear faster than the cosmic gold.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have got the pink colour strings this time as there is no other colour in stock.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where did you get the pink ones?! aren't they only available as JP version?

20. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

There have been comments that the NBG98 is"slippery". I tend to agree based on how it "feels" when touched.
    This slippery feel "should" somehow translate to less control specially for slice shots.
    Howcome it has a decent "8" rating for control (based on the Yonex specs)?

There are also comments that the NBG98 require some "break in" period. Care to share what this means? (Ie., how a newly strung NBG98 feels newly strung vs 3~4 weeks later)