Top 10 tips for singles./

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tony Roddis, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    I was always taught not to change decision, especially at the last moment. You have to be prepared for yr shot so not to mess it up and holding shot (as a part of deception) should help you to mask yr true intentions but not to choose a shot from yr range.

#21 Mikie, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

it's abotu deception. here's a situation:

your oppoent does a dropshot, you're there fast but nit fast enough to kill it. you hold your racket liek you're about to do a netshot (nettumble) and then watch (from the corner of your eye) your opponent, if he comes rushing in, or running hard. hold and 'flic' the shuttle. your opponent will have to turn over, work against his own momentum and will generally be late at the shuttle.

if, like you said, make up your mind about a shot and then do it, you'll lose all deception. it's good to keep all options open

3. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Well, I see yr point, but when you imitate stopping the birdy and then you lift/drive, you should have thought about flicking BEFORE coming to the net/ beginning the shot, right? You are actually expecting yr opponent to jump ahead so to hit the shuttle over him. You made it look like stopping though you were not going to stop. That's what deception means for me.
    And there's 1 more question - what if he just keep standing there? I see you will stop shuttle at the net. Personally I won't dare to stop - I dunno, maybe too advanced for me, but if not planned, if I'm to pick up the shot I had no intention to play and I'm to do it at the very last moment (meaning that I'm already in postition and I'm already starting to hit the shuttle) then there will be an unforced error - so I'll lift/drive it anyway.

4. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    It's more like you have thought about it, and your preparations for those shots are the same.

So, for example, I approach the net with my arms out, ready to either:
    1. Drive (pronate-supinate technique for power)
    2. Tight net shot (in this instance, slice the shuttle)
    3. Lift (in this instance, finger power, and lift using either pronation or supination).

Given the time, I would have thought about all three options, and will decide either when you have moved, or when it is the last chance I have in deciding safely (the later possible, the better). However, this is only possible when you have the speed to arrive at shuttle early enough and have calmly analysed your situation.

I play doubles more often than singles, so I have a chance to do so more often, however, the same approach can be done for singles game.

If your opponent has picked a base, it is your choice of tactics that decide. In a singles game, I tend to play a tight net shot more often in a hold position, if the opponent doesn't move.

5. franxon

franxon Regular Member

both of you are right because you are emphasising difference phases of a shot.

for example, when you leap up from the baseline, you get a clue where your opponent is and how he is moving before you choose your shot. let's say you choose to execute a dropshot for a good reason.

if you are skillful enough, your opponent has no clue it's going to be a dropshot or smash or clear, that is good deception (in most times, it means the degree of the identicalness/identity/identifiability/(in)distinguishability of the execution of all type of shots from the same starting point to the moment the racket hits the bird).

if you aren't that skillful, your opponent will have more clue what shot you're going to do.

decide your shot as late as possible (not for every shot though) and execute your shot as identical as possible. but no matter at what skill level, when your choice of shot is made, don't change, this is what i'm taught and i believe it's right as it will do more bad to yourself than to your opponent. unless it's a dead catch.

6. LMTD_06

LMTD_06 Regular Member

Student
    1. Stamina
    2. Speed
    3. Strength
    4. Spirit
    5. in Shape
    6. footwork
    7. footwork
    8. footwork
    9. Strategy
    10. Footwork

Footwork is really important though you're as great as Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei or Wang Yihan. :D

7. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    Wow... 6 years old thread is revived! But I couldnt agree more about footwork....

8. Spadroliken

Spadroliken Regular Member

Student
    What I believe is the top 10 requirements to become a good singles player.

1. Confidence and Mental Strength
    2. Footwork that is capable of different paces.
    3. Fundamental shots such as the lob and the lift. (Imagine having a poor lift, and you HAVE to lift it. That would just mean a killer smash from the opponent)
    4. Quick thinking and able to react quickly to change of pace.
    5. Superb netplay, capable for forcing your opponent to perform a lift.
    6. Initiative. (Attack is the best defence)
    7. Defence: Reacting quickly and recovering from playing the passive shots.
    8. Flat play to increase pace.
    9. A simple smash. It does not have to be fast. A good smash, will be steep; going down into the midcourt. Make it accurate as well; aim for the sidelines.
    10. Choice of shots. (There is no point, keeping the game along the net when the opponent's net shots are far superior than yours. Lift it.)

I did not include deceptive play because I believe that is up to the playing style of each individual. The fitness levels are dependent on the levels of badminton each individual plays, however I strongly agree that excellent fitness would be crucial at competitive levels.

:) Spadroliken

9. maxout

maxout Regular Member

This "SPECIAL" tip is from "researching" into Lin Dan ...

STOP CHANGING RACQUETS (AT700 or Li-Ning equiv N90), STRINGS (BG65 or Li-Ning equiv)and TENSION (33lbs) - find out what you like and works and stick to it even if Yonex or Li-Ning curse you for not changing ....:D

Rumours have it that LD has a "stockpile" of AT700 .... hmmm ... guess, I better start my own Cab20sp stockpile too !! :rolleyes: :p

#29 maxout, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. leo11

leo11 Regular Member

@maxout, u miss out one important thing that Lin Dan like and stick. :D

11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Oh yah ... consistently BEATING LCW at every meaningful MAJOR tournament .... :p

@leo11, I also know but cannot post lah ... :p

#31 maxout, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

13. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Good Tips, but for the wrong levels.

It's only for NOVICE, guys.

I don't think I have that many tips,
    1) Footwork
    2) Footwork
    3) Footwork, just be able to cover most of the court. DRILLS, DRILLS n DRILLS
    4) Anticipate opponents shots or at least be ready for almost any return shot.
    5)Do not rush to win by kill shots ie smashes all the time. Just perfect yr basic shots like deep clear, drop shots and decent backhand. Even many intermediates cannot do proper deep clears or good drop shots.
    6) Make yr opponent RUN around. Give him difficult shots or aim at his weakness ALMOST all the time.
    7)Last but not least, ENJOY the game, even losing to players who are not technically better than you. Analyse your lost game n avoid the same mistakes next time.

14. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Additionally, practice yr worst shots or weakness. Even w/ good basic shots you can beat many intermediates or club level players, no need any fancy backhand smashes or trick shots.

Important basic shots for novice singles are clears (cross court too), deep serves, drop shots, backhand clears, nets and drives.

#34 sautom88, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  15. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Largely from the 21 points system, the game has evolved into players adapting to reduce mistakes but require explosiveness for sure kill points. Observe the new generation Chinese players adapting to this formula of conserving energy, placing shuttle back to apponent for him to commit errors and winning by capitalising opponents mistakes. I can see the Chinese paid attention to build their strength physically especially the legs. They hardly wear straps, guards or sustain injuries which is a new craft in their badminton armoury.

16. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    ...of course fitness counts. I can't think of any high level competitive sports that fitness is not necessary.

17. Iammrlogic

Iammrlogic New Member

Something not mentioned and perhaps more applicable to less skillful players: Dont be predictable. Many players in the club I play in have some great shots but they use them time and time again from the same positions making it easy to anticipate and counter attack. The best player in our club (way stronger than me) once said that he finds me one of the toughest opponents to play against because he never knows what I am going to do. Unpredictability is surpisingly powerful.

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I would say play crosscourt. For a majority of the time, play cross

19. Heong

Heong Regular Member

it depends on the situation, don't play crosscourt unless theres a open space and you're sure it'll do damage

cross is always more difficult than straight, if you play cross, chances are your opponent would play it straight - much easier for them. And you'd be under his control. So if you play cross, must be a winner, or else you're playing your opponents game

20. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Interesting comment. I usually cross back when opponent crosses. Crossing to me is more of opening up the rally. I play straight to speed things up; putting pressure on my opponent (and myself).