A fresh replacement for my MP99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by merciadriluca, Dec 13, 2012.

1. merciadriluca

merciadriluca Regular Member

Univ. Eng. Student
    Actually they sell the 8DX. I will thus ask for testing it before buying. As I will ask for testing two rackets, which one should I try too, considering they don't sell the Voltric 70 but the Voltric 80? The shop is actually http://www.lardesports.com/ where I can get discounts because of my club. Choose badminton then rackets then under `Marque' use `Yonex'.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Oh yes the Bad a Boum shop :D, good then that you can get it there and I see the price is good for a change. Usually prices in France are too high ... [luckily my french is good enough to find my way around the shop [​IMG] ]. You can try VT80 yes to see if you like something quite different even better or as also mentioned NS9900. Seeing as the 8DX is much cheaper than NS9900 you might be already tempted to pick 8DX over the NS9900 if you don't like the NS9900 a lot more ...

3. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

ever tried them side by side before your recommendations?

4. Danze

Danze Regular Member

look man, i dont understand why you are so angry today man, chill. why would you stalk my posts trying to pick fights? and actually, i have tried both, my dad used mp99 back when played few years back and he gave it to me. one of my good badminton friends owns amortec900 and i played with it many times. please, just leave me alone.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Funny you say that. I have the 3U NS9900 and although I find it good for doubles, I personally feel that if it had a tad more mass it would be much better. So in hindsight I should have bought the 2U - although I've never tried the 2U, I could imagine it giving it that little extra that I'm looking for.

As you know, I used to use the 2U Ti10 for doubles, but find it too head heavy now with my weak shoulder. Given the NS9900 feels quite similar to the Ti10 (except a bit stiffer and head lighter) I would imagine the 2U suiting me quite well. May be I'll come across a 2U one day!

Back to topic, and a bit more on my experience with the 8DX.

Having used the 8DX as my "go-to-racquet" for some time now and being a stringer, I have had the priviledge to try quite a number of different strings on it. I found that the 8DX is quite particular when it comes to string type and tension. In my experience it performs best with thicker strings and at higher tensions although I guess there is an element of personal preference too.

My favourite string for the 8DX is the VS850 @~27lb. But I string it 26.5M/27.5C with prestretch, I put 0.5lb extra to help compensate for the tension loss. I've tried BG68Ti, NGB99, NBG95, BG65Ti, BG66UM, ZM67, ZM62 and now VS850 on the 8DX, all but BG65Ti and VS850 seems not to compliment the 8DX very well imo.

I forgot to mention earlier that the area that I feel where I find the 8DX excels in most is in defence and net/mid court play. The racquet is very maneouvreable, even balanced (perhaps slightly towards the head heavier end of even balance) and is very repulsive. With such a maneouvreable racquet and stable racquet face, I find that returning the hardest smashes is made a lot easier - just like the MP99. I can't help but imagine the likes of LYD would be considering a racquet like this if he was still sponsored by Yonex! :)

6. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Thanks for your answers!

7. yitao

yitao Regular Member

If you only want to find a yonex racket similar to MP99, I think the answer is Arc-8DX. Of course A8DX and MP99 are different rackets, but those Arc-10 and VT80 and NS9900 are much more different.

8. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Thanks. It looks like all answers are converging to Arc 8DX. I'll test and probably buy two of these ones when 1) I'll have the money, 2) I'll have the time, 3) My club will be open again, 4) My exams will be finished. Anyway, I will keep you informed! Thanks again.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    to be honest, i think on paper the 8DX is the closest, but if i were to blindfold myself and try to pick an arcsaber that's closest to mp99, it would be the arc7/arc100 actually. i find the arc10 too clumsy and the arc9 too flexible. since i don't find mp99 that stiff, it would be replaced by arc7/arc100.

however, since i have swing my racket like a whip, i enjoy playing with rackets that are more flexible, and am currently playing with two mp tours :)

also, my recommendation above might be skewed due to my racket preference :)

10. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Ok ok, thanks!

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree to this, best of luck and definitely let us know when you do acquire the rackets :)

12. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    You were right concerning the Yonex ArcSaber 8 DX. This one is actually quite nice, and looks effectively like an improvement of the Yonex MP 99. I am very happy of what I bought and will maybe buy another one when it will be necessary.

Thanks for all your advices.

13. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Reminds me how much I miss my broken MusclePower 90 2U :(