Yonex Nanogy 99 string ( NBG99 )

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ssgg007, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Thank you for your advices. :)
    I tried carltune on my xperia and it doesn't deliver any satisfied results. Frequencies between 1200 and 1700 Hz are the results, depending if I use my fingernail and which cross or main and hitting slightly the middle with different force makes a difference. Sadly, but true.
    For me it works best to change every game the racket and which string feels for a longer time comfortable or doesn't break might be the more durable string.
    Maybe I try the iphone app on a friends phone.

2. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Crazy apps. Tried several apps with different results. One of my profs said in the past "Wer viel misst misst Mist." Translated it means: Who measures much measures muck. :D

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I like that saying. :) Try strumming the stringbed with your 3rd and
    4th fingernails and let it ring next to the mic. Should read btwn 1100 to 1400 or so Hz.

4. hairfreak07

hairfreak07 Regular Member

I bought a pack of NBG99 SP from Mybadmintonstore. The stringer told me it's fake. Can anyone confirm this?

Regards,

HF07

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    is it???????

6. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Lots of people have brought nothing but genuine products from mybadmintonstore, so it's highly doubtful that it's fake.

Why did your stringer think it's fake?

7. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

TBH, one of my stringers said that it "felt" fake. It wasn't strung on my racket, it was strung on my friend's racket @ 22 lbs. The string moved around constantly around each shuttle hit. However, there are no issues with the string yet...so maybe this stringer never strung 99's before.
    I'm going to give BMS the benefit of the doubt because it seems to be a trusted seller from BadmintonCentral.

8. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    yonex agent should conform this

9. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Strings will usually take some time to "settle in", i.e., start to form notches and not move around anymore. So it's pretty normal that the strings will move around when hitting the shuttle.

I doubt that MBS would ship a fake product. Declaring it fake because it "feels" fake is pretty subjective.

10. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

I never said that it was fake. It was the stringer who said it. And I also put in quotes 'felt'. I also know that is takes time to settle, and no issues with the string which is why I never brought this up as an issue. My wording might have offended the seller@ mbs but wasn't intentional. Just sharing my experience.

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    3 weeks after my review I would to add something.

I played alot of games and had several training sessions with the NBG99. Compared to the BG80 which was strung at the same day, on the same machine with the same tension by the same stringer, the NBG99 lost a bit more tension compared to the BG80. I used carltune to messure the frequency after 2 days after stringing job and today. It gets a bit to soft for my liking and feels a bit dead. Not dead at all, but I notice that the performance dropped. Maybe the coating, tension loss, I don't know.
    I terms of control I must correct myself. I can't perform such accurate shots like crosscourt dropshot or longline smash anymore. Both went often a tiny bit out. If I use the BG80, every shot is sharp and on the line. Mybe the tension loss or coating.;) I can't find an explaination for this. Maybe I can't make such quick adjustments to the different strings.
    After 3 weeks, my conclusion is that I will stay with BG80. NBG99 was a nice adventure and freshly strung a superb string, but after a few weeks for me BG80 works a bit better. So I will stay with BG80.
    I ordered a package of Zymax from Eric. Reviews of 62, 65, 67 and 70 will follow in the next months in the Zymax thread.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION]

What were the frequencies of the
    2 strings right after
    stringing
    , and today?

13. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I also found it harder to make cross drops and smash with NBG99. For me it goes WAYYYY out! I'm gonna blame it on the repulsiveness of NBG99 :p

Shots that I can make with BG80P and VS850, I can not make with NBG99 :(

It may have something to do with the texture of the strings for me... But I'm quite a noob... So what would I know :(

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Firstly, I must correct myself. Taking a look at my calendar the first measurment was 4 days after stringing instead of 2 days.

Today, BG80: 1163 Hz , first measurement: 1251 Hz, difference: 88 Hz
    Today, NBG99: 1131 Hz , first measurment: 1233 Hz, difference: 102 Hz

Didn't measured right after stringing. You know, I had problems with this fancy app.
    Is nearly on par, but performance wise the NBG99 lost feel, crispyness and control compared to the previous performances. I think the coating or something else must be the reason.

15. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I'm not sure if I understand you. Are you saying that there are apps that can help determine the tension of the strings?

16. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

Yonex NS9900 @ 25x27
    Yonex AS FB @ 25x27

I've been using NBG-99 (200m reel SP coded) for a few months now, it's a very durable string, on par with BG-65. Retains the tension a lot better, and doesn't fray as fast.

However I do feel that for pure smashing power it's not the best string, but the control is extremely nice, especially for slice/net rolls.

The string is also very soft, making stringing kind of annoying :/

17. Elforado

Elforado Regular Member

I tried the NBG99 on a 4u Voltric 80 @ 26lbs and i must say, i'm surprised at how repulsive it feels in comparison to some thinner strings i've used (BG80, BG80 power, VS850, BG68ti). Can't really compare it to the 0.66mm diameter types as i stopped using those a long time ago due to lack of durability. Control is superb, and personally i feel it trumps the BG80 and VS850. The touch and tactile response of shuttle on stringbed might not be as pronounced as the aforementioned strings, but surprisingly the end result is that i seem to get better directional control and quality of shuttle placement. Also the strings didn't seem to move around as much. I'll admit that hitting sound isn't the most crisp or distinct in comparison, however i personally don't place as much emphasis on this aspect as i do on the performance characteristics. Durability is yet to be determined since it was freshly strung and used for only about 2 hours of intensive play. Tension loss at this point is also not objectively comparable as not enough play time has been invested, but it survived the 2 hours with barely any discernible drop in tension (this is based on string pitch comparison with another racket strung at the same tension and not used for play)

All in all, performance wise, I have found the NBG 99 to be quite excellent, and might be switching over from my preferred strings (BG80 and BG80 power) pending the determination of durability and tension holding characteristics with more time and testing.

18. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I've tried BG80P and BG80, I really like both of those strings, but probably bg80 more, since it has good power. Would any of you recommend this string for me? I usually play at 25-26 lbs.

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If you like BG80 and like the hardness of it, then stick with it. For me it's a love or hate relationship with BG80. I personally don't like it. But I like BG80P which is softer and I can definitely get more power from it however it loses tension quite quickly.

NBG99 is somewhere between the two imo. It's a fraction softer than BG80, but is almost as powerful as BG80P and doesn't lose tension quickly. Durability seems good as is control and feel. Although there is a little more feel from BG80/P.

It's my current go-to string and is the most popular at my club.

20. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

This thread is making me curious to try it as my next string. I probably will, because I'm one of the few people who liked the softness of BG80P who also liked the hardness of BG80. Thanks!