Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Great instant work,Alan! Thanks for the research.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Sunday 13-May-2007: LCW won the Indonesia Open SS title

Thanks for the research AlanY. :):):)

Yes, it confirms what I have remembered. On Thursday 10-May-2007, LCW was ranked World No.6 playing in Round 2 at the Indonesia Open SS.

On Sunday 13-May-2007, LCW won the Indonesia Open SS title. And from that day, LCW would only move upwards towards to No.1.

So, from your records, LCW moved into the No.1 on 21-Aug-2008. And he has remained there on top all the time until today.

This is a great achievement; for being No.1 and stayed there for two and a half years (or 150 weeks).
    :):):)

3. flite

flite Regular Member

If my memory serves me right, LD was missing the 08' Olympic and 10' Asian games when during that period LCW took over the no.1 spot. My last sentence reads all majors at the same time.

Yup I did and it provided you an opportunity to worship LD.;)

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

for your information,

LD was the world no 1 and seeded 1 for the 2008 Olympics.
    Asian games is not a major as the name suggested in many people's book, me included.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Go back to the start of this thread to know that LD is not interested to be No.1

There is no doubt that LD is considered the current best player in the world. But it has nothing to do with this thread.

Go back to Post #1 of this thread to read what this thread is all about. And how disappointed many Badminton fans are when LD showed that he is not interested to be No.1 anymore.

6. flite

flite Regular Member

That was exactly when he loses his no.1 spot to LCW.
    As for the Asian games, it matters so much at least in LD's book.

Oh yes this is not the place to discuss LD's position but in many ways its inter-related.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Contrary opinions said: LD won't be able to keep up LCW's relentless determination

Contrary opinions said that LD would not be able to keep up LCW's relentless determination to stay on as No.1.

This is one (Post #8);

This is another one (Post #40);

Another one (Post #76);

Also Post #79;

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

9. flite

flite Regular Member

My point is he loses the no.1 spot immediately right after the Olympics.

As for the Asian Games, looking back at your post, its stated by yourself that Asian games is a major! As and when the point of discussion changes, so are you. Nice work.

After all and most importantly, I would say that LCW would remain his world no.1 ranking until the 2012 Olympics despite the challenges from LD.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I may be wrong but it looks like when LCW reached OG08 finals, LD lost his WR1 and LCW played as the WR1 during that match. So LD won the major not as a WR1. But maybe that s why he won?

Does that mean that LCW holds the record for the longest uninterrupted WR1? Hmmm... If so, that means LCW is more superior than I thought.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

There s a good chance both may be in the same half like MO11. TH will not be in the same half as LCW since TH is WR2.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2011 German Open GPG: Will there be a LCW-vs-LD match?

But let's follow LCW-vs-LD match at the Finals (if they both make it there) of the 2011 German Open GPG first. :):):)

Heard that they will be seeded No.1 (LCW) and No.2 (LD).

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

LCW being a bit tired than LD excuse, i can somewhat buy.
    LCW missing Misbun in his corner excuse, sorry, i don't buy. LD was also missing TXH. It was pretty much an even match, just came down to the last few pts; and it could've gone either way, methinks. LD stayed steady with a bit of luck and LCW just made more errors (perhaps from being too rushed/not patient).

off topic:
    As for LCW's biggest supporters in BC, i can say george@chongwei is in the top 3 top fans. The other 2, i believe one of them is close to LCW and Misbun (no matter how hard that person tries to hide it).

#693 ctjcad, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..main reason: 2012 OG qualifying period and CHN players jockeying to get the best positions in the WR..

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LD have beaten LCW, with or without coach Tang, as you have stated/shown many times. LD still seems to be more confident vs LCW with coach Tang there.
    LCW has lost & won over LD, with Misbun there. Not sure abt early years but every LD vs LCW, Misbun was in coaches chair. So, if with Misbun also lose, without Misbun, no need say :p.
    I dont think Tey SB(or Rashid) can help much during actual tournament, they still refer to Misbun, Tey SB said so time & again. This Tey seems to like to low profile.

And yeah, I know you consider less % of coaches factor than I do.:)

#695 eaglehelang, Feb 5, 2011
  16. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach

Yes, those statistic are not enough to prove with or without the coach, the result makes no different

If anyone doesnt think so, just try and ask the player :D

When crucial moment arises it's just like between life and death :D

17. flite

flite Regular Member

It could be either what you stated or right after the 08' Olympics. I wasn't completely sure so I am not in a position to argue.

Also you could be right that LCW held the longest consecutive periods for the no.1 spot since August 08' but I reserved my comments on the superior/inferior issue. One thing I can be sure is that LCW consistency is second to none and I am quite certain he will hold on to his position with the rate he is going now.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I thought BWF would keep the record for us

It's a pity that when I started this thread, I did not record the date from which LCW has begun to continue with his long run as No.1.

I thought BWF would keep the record for us. Unfortunately, BWF (via tournamentsoftware) can only go back as far as 2009 Week 40.
    :crying::crying::crying:

#698 chris-ccc, Feb 5, 2011
  19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    ..you also forgot to mention LD has also lost to LCW with or without TXH coaching behind him.:cool:
    How do you define "LD still seems to be more confident vs. LCW with coach Tang there"?..
    I don't know whether LCW had played against LD before without Misbun sitting behind him (need someone to do a bit of research), but it seems you're also digging deep to use Misbun's absence as one of the reasons for LCW's lost to LD in this KO PSS. If it's really true and if that's really the case, then i really feel pity about LCW and some of LCW's supporters; that a pro like him who has played and competed vs. LD so many countless times, probably LCW has played against him the most than any other player, still needs Misbun to guide him to victory.

#699 ctjcad, Feb 5, 2011
  20. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I doubt that Misbun, just by being there could really help LCW win his match. LCW seemed to be playing normally, because the analysis by Misbun was given to him RIGHT BEFORE THE MATCH! That's the main one that counts!

Anyway, enough about that, I think that if LCW can keep steady, he is bound to beat Lin Dan at least 2 out of the next 5 meetings. And remain as world number one.