Juliane Schenk

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

[MENTION=64347]cobalt[/MENTION] Thank you for your news.
    May be Shenck see something in Ratchanok for WC title:D because this year she met Ratchanok 3time in AE, Swiss open and india open.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A lot of people see something in Ratchanok! :D She does have what it takes to win the big titles, in terms of talent, but she needs to mature mentally a bit more before she can obtain consistent results. But, I think this discussion would belong in Ratchanok's thread. ;)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What's the update on Germany's no.1 female player. Haven't seen her in tournaments recently. Has the German association not let her register for events?

4. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Juliane Schenk retired from Badminton and quited her career.

There is a statement on her homepage: (only in German)
    http://juliane-schenk.de/AG_2014.html

"To leave the top-ten of the world ranking is one of my goals for 2014. Therefore, contrary to my habits, I gave up the first match against Minatsu Mitani 21:0 21:0."

"For all who call me crazy already:
    A top ten player is obliged, to take part / to play at 9 of 12 Super-Series-Tournaments in a year.
    Costs doesn't matter, association pays it normally but not in my case.
    If the player doesn't take part, he has to pay 5000 US $ from his own money.
    If the player take part as required, he has to pay for the hotel, the flight and other travel costs. So - you have to pay either way.
    That is all not inexpensive."

Of course, thats not everything, but I think thats the most interesting part for you guys.
    She talks about her emotions, the very good year 2013, and thats not easy for a "flexible" player like her in such a "fix" system.
    I hope the translation is readable and understandable.

Do it well "my dears" and for remembering:
    The gold of the life, thats never stop shining, is LOVE - doesn't matter for whom or what.
    Juli

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hope she will do well in the future~!
    all the best!

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But what you translate SpeedyJT says that she wants to play less tournament, so she wants to leave the top 10 players. She do not mention she will retire. Do you have other informations that says so?

7. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer

Oh - yes, she says
    "I have to say goodbye at this point.
    To go back from the retirement at the end of the year 2013 was never a point to talk about"

8. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    But you're right - a 100% sure statement "I retire from badminton completely" is not there.

But the german badminton media reports already about this and interprets this quotes above as her retirement.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, Soldier Schenk retired ?! I was hoping to see her in Rio 2016 but after reading she has resigned from the German Badminton Association recently due to irreconcilable differences and forced to go independent, I already more or less suspected her troubles would not end there, what with having to bear all the expenses and make all the arrangements herself with regard to training and competition including the services of the necessary support staff. No wonder her form suffered of late.

I recall one of her matches with Wang Yihan in particular where she impressed me with her physicality, her dogged determination and fighting spirit to the very end before winning a hard-fought,grueling three-setter. She also impressed LYB so much with her mannish style of play that he felt the necessity to introduce more rigorous physical fitness training for his charges in order to deal with her.

The fact that she could raise her game to her highest level so late in her career around 30 years old at that time and threatening the best players in the world is itself an amazing feat, deserving special praise.

I suppose she would continue playing in the available professional leagues , eg CBSL, IBL, Axiata Cup(?), for quite some time. Wish her happiness and success in her future endeavours.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks Juli for all the fantastic moments and may the best be for her in her new life after badminton.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Loved seeing her determination and true grit style. She won many admirers. She right up there with the very best in her mental fortitude. World badminton has a big loss.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, her style was unique, very dynamic

13. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

MAS should take her in.. WS is the weakest after the retirement of WMC

14. phili

phili Regular Member

I don't think she would leave Germany for good given her family and her girlfriend live here.

15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Reading the original text on her homepage makes it clear that she does not retire!
    She wants to leave the top10 (for the mentioned reasons...). And she retired from the german national squad, which is nothing new.

There is no word about total retirement from (professional) badminton whatsoever...

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Usually badminton players' goal is to reach top 10. They used to say:"To reach the top-ten of the world ranking is one of my goals for 2014." But the sentence from a semi-retiring badminton player is so much different. I am here wishing her all the best in her future undertaking. She is really such a nice player to talk with. I still remember in 2012 Singapore Open, after her victory in the Final against CSC, she ran towards her friends who were sitting near the arena thanking them for their support. I later on asked her, 'why were you rushing to approach your friends near the arena after your victory?' She answered:'They are not my friends actually, but they have been supporting me since the very beginning of my career. They used to follow me wherever I play. So, they are now like my family and friends. I am glad to have their support wherever I go.'

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Juliane has been nominated for best European Female Player of the year 2013 in the Badminton Europe Player Awards polls. The complete nominations in this category are:

Best European Female Player Of The Year '13:

Gabrielle Adcock (England)
    Tine Baun (Denmark)
    Juliane Schenk (Germany)
    Christinna Pedersen (Denmark)

The Awards ceremony will be held at Dublin, Ireland, on April 12 2014.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Don't think she will win it. TB & CP are the favourites.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    TB is the hot favourite. But I like CP the most.. hehe..

20. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Why does she not get banned for loosing on purpose?