Lin Dan - What's next after WC'13 ?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I've not the slightest doubt, WC 2014 will see Chen Long go all out, Lin Dan or no Lin Dan, notwithstanding whatever happened this year. Actually Lin Dan was very smart this time not to train and spar with Chen Long except for that one warm-up simulation match and was able to catch both Chen Long and LCW by surprise with his 'secret weapon'.

We shall see how Chen Long and LCW as well as others learn to cope with this 'new' Lin Dan in future. I'm keenly looking forward to it.

2. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

What's next for LD in my opinion are:

1. Play more GP level tournaments so he could up his rank before qualification period for WC 2014 started
    2. Win another WC on neutral ground with AC 24 hours on to satisfied the world.

But it's just me.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Your pt 1, playing more GPG/GP tournaments, is not a bad idea, I second that. Not sure if Lin Dan minds letting more opponents get to know first hand his new playing style. Hope CBA and Lin Dan are listening to your suggestion.:)

Pt 2 should be possible next year at Copenhagen except that I'd probably be rooting for Chen Long this time. Methinks Lin Dan has won too much already and some people are getting angry about it - just kidding.:p:D

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    no offence, but is it possible that LD will be absent from the international scene for another 8 months, or, possibly longer?

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

While I won't entirely dismiss your concern (barb?), I think it highly unlikely. He made it this time after a long break from competition under unusual circumstances where the first six months' break was self-imposed. Now that he's made a resounding comeback and gotten over the most difficult part of getting into shape and form developing a new 'armoury', he'd be really pushing his luck too far if he doesn't at least keep his 'weaponry' in good working condition by oiling and testing them regularly in competitive environment, say every 2 - 3 months.

Moreover, for a start, I believe he'd want to raise his ranking to within top 10 in reasonably good time and maintain it there in preparation for the next Olympic cycle, if he's serious about it. I mean it's really bad strategy to only begin burning midnight oil when nearing the 'exams' as that is equivalent to leaving too much to chance and unforeseen circumstances, what with having to work doubly hard and risk being too late.

My take is whilst the momentum is there after having won the WC, the most prudent thing for him to do is to strike while the iron's hot by taking part in a number of well-scheduled tournaments to earn the requisite ranking points as soon as possible.

It's true I don't see his name registered for the CHN Masters and JPN Open SS next month, that's because his ranking has dropped so low as not to qualify for them by their respective closing dates. Therefore, I agree with bad's fan's suggestion that Lin Dan plays in a couple of grand prix events. Even if the CHN Masters' organizer is willing to issue him a wild card entry, it'll still be not feasible simply because he's involved in the Chinese National Games where the penultimate and final rounds clash with the commencement of the CHN Masters.

To be honest, I'm still not too sure how he can maintain enough motivation to keep going until whatever goal(s) he has set himself is realized.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it would be wonderful if we badminton fans in america can see him play in the US Open, but not sure if it's actually worth his time :(

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    USA would have to pay LD under-counter, kopi-O money to play USA Open...even if LD wins USA Open, the $$$ can barely pay his one-way ticket home, the plane would stop at mid-air and LD would have to parachute back to CHN.:D

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Anyone could also translate the link below? A Chinese friend of mind forwarded to me but I could only read some of it. It seems all about LD talked about what's his future after WC13, and looks like somewhere here he said he would like to play badminton for another 10 years...

http://sports.sina.cn/?sa=d5353596t24v4&cid=804&sid=0&vt=4&node_id=234340

http://r3.sinaimg.cn/6/2013/0821/4e/8/96447805/original.jpg?vt=4

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    but if he took 8 months off after London Olympics to get married and spend times with family, I think it is possible that if XXF becomes pregnant now that LD will take 1-year (or possibly longer) hiatus from badminton to take care of XXF and spend time with baby. Beside, he needs to make more money from sponsorship and media events. He made RMB 26 million in 2012. I guess he can make more than that amount if he takes one year off from international badminton (except Asian Badminton championship).

http://www.sports.cn/industry/news/others/2013-04-09/2230430.html

http://sports.gmw.cn/2011-04/07/content_1798121.htm

#29 pcll99, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now that you say it, it's my main concern too (just that I didn't want to repeat myself saying it). When that happens,it'd probably derail his badminton plans for some time; he'll be such a devoted family man.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    be hopeful
    or fly to dutch open
    he will play there
    wakakakkaka

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  13. andrewtcho

andrewtcho Regular Member

I think there is one more motivation for Lin Dan: It is to beat Peter Gade (I think he is) as the oldest player in the arena. This is also a challenge to himself both physically and emotionally. He'll need a number of years to achieve this objective.

14. andrewtcho

andrewtcho Regular Member

One more: Attend the most number of Olympic badminton competitions (i.e. surpass Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade), and win !!!!

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for the link, Jonc108
    http://sports.sina.cn/?sa=d5353596t24v4&cid=804&sid=0&vt=4&node_id=234340

A long article, I suppose you're referring to this last part:

Give birth to a baby,live happily,play another 10 years,use own way to persist in badminton

As a guest at the end of a satellite TV interview, Super Dan was asked by the TV host to select three wishes for the future and his answer is:Have a baby, a happy life, and play another 10 years. Need not say more about the first two options, as to the third one, Lin Dan explained as follows:"I hope to be able to prolong my professional career as much as possible, but have also never said words like must take part in Rio Olympic Games , I just want to use my own way to persist in badminton."

Certain media once described Lin Dan as a heretic, "a young man inside China's special sports system showing how he self-reflects, cultivates and perfect himself in the process." Lin Dan felt that for the past 30 years, there has been a visible or invisible hand pushing him forward, now entering his 30s, the time has come for him to take charge of his own life.

During the half year away from competition, Lin Dan enjoyed the time spent with his family, " also fortunately, I found the goals to strive for at the next stage." Lin Dan is targeting the China Badminton (Clubs) Super League (CBSL). From Athens to Beijing and to London, a four-year Olympic cycle, a four-year once rebirth(reincarnation), Lin Dan is determined to jump out of this circle linked circle game.

"A sports mode based on winning gold as the aim is a huge waste of resources.If it is solely for the gold medal, then only a handful of people get to stand at the spire. But if the professional league is properly done, those below the spire(pinnacle) will also obtain opportunities." The league not only offers the great majority of players a platform to display their self-worth, it also gives the veterans space to extend their professional careers.

So far in his role as competitor, Lin Dan has deeply felt the psychological pressure of representing the country, yet BWF's schedule is dense , for example, the European events, three weeks to play 14,15 matches. But domestic league won't be so terribly busy, one week at most two matches, the burden will be much smaller. Lin Dan even invited Peter Gade, Taufik Hidayat to join the league, "if there's a club to offer an olive branch, I believe they will be interested. With their participation, the influence of CBSL will be greatly different, and fans will have the opportunities to continue to enjoy their performances on court."

"As to how to develop a project even better, you still have to throw it to the market." But Lin Dan doesn't entertain excessive hopes or act like a type of revolutionary, only wishing to do what is right and appropriate for a 30-year-old, " hoping through his effort to let everybody set their eyes more on the weekday league than stare fixedly at the quadrennial Olympic Games." Lin Dan is looking forward to, after taking the first step himself, be able to hear the footsteps of generations to follow. As the saying goes, road is made by people walking on the ground.

Repeatedly saying "Gold medal is not the one and only" but when it comes to his near-term goals, as if by inertia force, Lin Dan would reply:" The League Championships ! I haven't tasted the flavour of being League Champion."

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Why not he try to win Olympic gold in men doubles and mixed doubles... Then he will surely be Goat

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks,I like this one, very good. He's said before that he admires Mr Evergreen, Peter Gade, for his longevity and wants to emulate him. Hope Lin Dan really means it but there's still a long way to go for him. Way to go!

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

19. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member