<<Nanoray ZSpeed Review>>

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bmlife, Sep 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bmlife

bmlife Regular Member

Student
    Hey, so I recently got my NRZSP and managed to test it out. It is strung with BG66UM @ 27lbs and with a fleet overgrip without original plastic coating removed. (I like my grips thick)

Swing: This racket feels slightly even balanced at first grip, but when you swing it, you can feel it's head-lightness. The sudden acceleration of this racket is immense, so it takes time to get used to.

Clears and smashes: This racket can produce crisp clears, although not as easy as the VTZF. When using this racket, you will realise that it takes more arm strength in comparison to head heavy rackets, but the fast swing helps somewhat. Smash-wise, this racket really performs. You can't feel the same kick as the VTZF, and the power isn't there, but the speed of the smash is outstanding. It catches your opponent off guard due to the quick acceleration of the shuttle.

Nets and drops: Being a headlight racket, it is easy to play these controlled shots. The soft touch comes easy, and its quick and manoeuvrable, so trick shots can be executed easily.

Defence: This is another area I think the racket really excels in. The seamless movement of the racket allows easy and quick returns, so you can get back into position as soon as possible. Returns are controlled, and are never out of hand. High returns simply require a harder flick and the bird flies.

Overall, I feel that this racket is everything Yonex hyped it up to be, and it truly deserves to be the VTZF's succeeder, and it is suited for everyone who wants a fast paced game.

Antoine Nguyen likes this.
  2. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

wow , you managed to get it to 27 lbs , that's the max limit for string tension , it might break easily

3. bmlife

bmlife Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, I like the feel of it. Really sharp and crisp :)

4. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

well , 25 lbs is fair enough for me , they said when using this , the tension is like 2lbs more . thanks for the review :)

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Interesting that you describe it as head light when every one else seems to describe it as head heavy? What is the balance point of your racquet with only the original grip and strings?

6. bmlife

bmlife Regular Member

Student
    It is 285mm from the base of the grip

7. bmlife

bmlife Regular Member

Student
    My apologies, im not too sure about the original BP

8. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Actually, with 27lbs, it does feel a little head heavy but as bmlife said, once you start swinging with it, you can feel the head lightness.

I tied the same racket at the same tension as well, though to me it actually feels a little mute partially due to the lack of power behind the smashes.

Speed might be there but the threat may not be there to intimidate the opponents. Haha

9. leonard23

leonard23 New Member

I've a different feeling here, got my Zspeed few days backed with 26lbs BG66UM and got it tested on the same day. From what i feel is the tension are not actually there. i can only feel about 23/4lbs. the string produce bouncy sound instead of crispy sound. Wondering whether the stringer issue or the racquet issue. ><

10. hihihihiem

hihihihiem Regular Member

Any more reviews? I found that many people are selling off their nanoray z speed...

11. mameilide

mameilide New Member

you managed to get it to 27 lbs , that's the max limit for string tension , it might break easily[​IMG]

12. sc540i

sc540i Regular Member

It is a good racket if you are looking for a replacement. Is it going to improve your technique or performance tremendously? I do not think so! I bought this Z speed for the replacement of my 2nd racket as a complement to NR 800. Both NR 800 and Zp are medium head feel just the way it is classified in Yonex racket chart. However, a medium head racket can result a powerful smash for professional player could be a good upgrade. I see few of professional players in the club have acquired it already.

13. sc540i

sc540i Regular Member

I am actually surprised to see this racket 3U has very high string tension (27lb) spec. listed in the web site comparing other rackets which is mostly 25lb and below. After a quick search on Yonex site, this could be the highest tension ever put on their web site although many advance player string their racket 3 to 6 lbs more than the web site said.

14. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

official YY's recommendation for Arcsaber 8DX - 2U was set at the maximum of 28 Lbs

CMIIW

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Don't panic about the limits. Nearly every highend racket (3U) can be strung at 30lbs and above. Claiming warranty with Yonex is everytime difficult. Mostly a racket breaks due a previous clash, bad stringer which caused weakening the frame. Never seen a new or well threated racket that broke because of tension below 30lbs. Yonex rackets are quite fragile but don't collapse due ridiculous 27lbs.:rolleyes: And 27lbs is not a very high tension. Btw PP, Apacs, Forza and a few other brands has rackets which can take 35lbs and above.

16. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Okay the Z-Speed is NOT a replacement for the Z-Force. If anything, the Z rackets are progressive niche products based around a smaller head than standard ISO.

Yonex is just conservative with their tensions. Carsten Mogensen strings his FlashBoost at 35lbs and I haven't seen him break one in a match...in fact every Yonex pro strings at over 30lbs.

Whats strange about the Z-Speed though, is that the sweetspot feels very soft because of the softer grommets and flex points on the head at 3 and 9 o'clock. If you get one, I'd consider stringing at maybe a pound more than you normally would, or maybe go with a harder feeling string - assuming you want to keep the same feel as your other rackets.

its a great racket, very easy to use and maybe the best Yonex racket since the AT900T.

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I had the same feeling with the Z-Slash in regards to the sweet spot. It always seemed like the strings weren't as tight as I wanted them to be.

18. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yeah definitely.

The strange part about that is that the racket 'tells you' when you haven't hit the sweetspot, which ironically means it's probably has a hidden benefit for Intermediates with bad technique :D

19. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Nice review! :)
    I hope in the future to either buy one or try it out for myself.
    I want to complete my collection of the Z rackets :)
    I have the Z-Slash TH and Z-Force 2012LTD :)

20. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    Hi everyone,
    Well before this I gotta admit Zspeed was never the racket I would have wanted in my list after few session borrowed from my buddy in a club. I was a head heavy maniac which means rackets like N90, zf1@2 , n90ii will be brought to games while others just being abandoned home.I must confess that time I hated rackets like arc11,nano800 and also the zspeed so much that I felt they r so much behind in power as compared to the zforce n n90ii. However things changed last month, a day right before a local tournament I entered v my buddy who owned a 3u5g zspeed.i borrowed his zspeed for the sake of trying to be like tbh, well...which everything happened after that turns out to be in my racket beg these days.
    It was strung with bg66um at 28lbs I assumed (from the first attempt of hitting a clear) 2knots with a big butt cap and topped with ac102ex pink.

I never have know that instead of those bulky and slow hammer, I m simply better with these samurai!! Stated above before this I hated evenly balanced racket so much but everything the zspeed offer just suits me to my best! The drives are awesome, the control is fantastic, not to mention the slightly heavy tjoint providing the *pammmm!@@!!* during smashing....the defense character...it is just simply the best that night!
    I couldnt believe that my hand desired something so contrary to what I prefer and ONLY PREFERRED before this..

I hit real fast smashes like I did with n90.. but thse arent the same, smashing with zspeed the shuttles are fast even though they r not as heavy as n90.. I did a full arm and shoulder smashing (just like tbh) and the solid but strangely softer sweetspot hit the shuttle making it real fast and landed on opponents leg before I even land from from that jump!
    I would say people... practise good techniques , not just simply buying good rackets and hoping that they will turn out to be the ultimate weapon for you!
    This racket might not suits everybody,assuming that it is designed for the pros among the pros. Therefore, DO NOT SIMPLY BRING DOWN A RACKET IF YOU cant dig the real **** out of these mothafuking rockets launcher(lesson learnt)

The Zspeed and the Zf2 are truly the best racket Yonex ever produced and thru my opinions and experiences comparing these 2 gems to other brands, they r just simply the best. Mine was strung with bg85 n nbg98 at 32lbs currently, one broken caused by mishitting 7oclock of frame during defending. Rest they r just fine n still continue to shine in every parts of my game.
    So far NO rackets can come close to this 2 in every aspects they have achieved , power, speed, defense, WELL BALANCED.
    Trust me, NONE.
    Not even the jetspeed come close, in fact they are still farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrþ behind.
    If you think the zspeed is too numb, watch how tbh used it, not his styles of playing but the way he made the racket excels, the sudden flick, explosive shoulder n arm. ..and slowly u r going to regret that u din pay real attention to them early ago!
    Hope everyone found their own way of digging out the real potential of this racket and dun ever STOP FIRING ROCKETS HERE AND THERE!!!
    goodluck!

DANNY