Change of mentality required: singles & doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jcl49, Apr 5, 2004.

?

do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I voted "yes" as well. I guess the mentality here means what goes in your mind which then translate into lets say one extreme category is "attack+smash+kill shots+speed" and on the other end will be "defence+placement+trick shots+tempo control". And everything in between is a combination of both.

2. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    i voted no because i seldom try and play on the defense when ever i can i try and attack even in impossible positions, i'm lucky i'm like lightening around the court because i do a smash straight down the side and most people don't relift it high, they stretch and pop it up just above the net and luckily this is where my speed come in and do a net kill. i do this for both double and single but normally i don't have to run in, in double cos my partner will have it:p but i do focus more on placement in singles and consistancy

3. Shishido

Shishido Regular Member

Marketing
    I answer yes. When I playing single, it needs a lot of stamina and I will keep it play with my pace.I will play with patience and find the winning shots.As for double, I will play with all out attacking.I will take every single shots as fast as i can to win the game.For sure I will smash a lot compare to single that i will use rally.However even i smash a lot in double, i use less energy compare to single. For mentality, single i will try keep calm but as in double i will be furious as a tiger XD

4. tcouture

tcouture Regular Member

Yes. It is a different mindset for me too. I have to consciously switch or I will get the crap beat out of me.

Simply put, IMHO:

Doubles = Aggression, Singles = Attrition

Doubles = Focus on the movement of the bird, Singles = Focus on the movement of the opponent

That is not to say that one is defensive and one is offensive, just different. Singles require a lot of patience, doubles only require half (that is why you have a partner, no?)

Keep on playing,

T.

#104 tcouture, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. Squally425

Squally425 Regular Member

Web Developer
    Personally I enjoy singles a lot more.
    That's probably because I've been scarred for life with partners who put on a "you caused us the game" look.
    In singles, all mistakes are my own, as with all points as well.
    I love singles matches because I know that if i don't go for a shot I'll lose the point.

The more I get lectured in doubles, the worse I perform.
    But... it's useless to try and appeal. That's why I stick with singles.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I am not surprised that more than 85% voted for 'Yes'

I am not surprised that more than 85% voted for 'Yes'. :):):)

IMHO, in Doubles, to be fast and furious against opponents is best.

In Singles, to have control and steadiness for oneself is best.

7. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Another issue I neglected to think about when I first read this poll (oh such a while ago) is that in singles you try to force these things:
    (1) Opponent's weakest shot(s): If they have a weakest shot (or few), it can be a very simply effective strategy to pick on it.
    (2) Opponent's footwork/stamina: If they can't get to shots quickly or get to them quickly for a long time, if you simply make accurate shots to the corners, they will tire out and if they tire out before you do, it's basically your win.
    (3) Rhythm/Mental: Try to get them into a certain mental state where they expect you to play a certain way/rhythm and then try to break that. It's the basis for trick shots as well as (2). If you can make them think you are going to rush a shot, if you see them reacting a certain way too early, you can change it up and slow your shot down and vice versa. This is useful for messing with how they react to you as well as their footwork/pacing.

In doubles you try to force these things:
    (1) Gain attack: I think I read somewhere that at the professional level the first team to get the attack wins most of the time. I don't know if this is true, but I think it's usually quite true at the amateur level. Getting the attack means you can also (usually) control the tempo as well as the angles of the rallies.
    (2) Force teamwork/formation errors: Since in doubles you have two opponents and they MUST have some sort of transition system/rotation responses, if you can find out the weaknesses in their formations and transitions, you can make them hesitate (shot in-between them), run harder (if they have slow transitions or leave an area more exposed than others), isolate a player, etc.
    (3) Push opponent back: This is much more of an important issue in doubles, in my opinion. In singles, it's a deadly mistake to be either too close to or far away from the net, as there won't be anyone covering the other side for you. However, in doubles, if you end up too far away, you won't be able to get anything close to the net, which your partner won't likely be able to help you out with. However, if you are too close to the net and the opponents lift, it's a good chance either you or your partner can recover and even possibly attack. So if you can drop accurately, charge in quickly and take control of the net, it's fine if you can't recover (as long as your partner does), or if you go all the way back, your partner can probably cover the front somewhat. Similarly, if you can drive/smash your opponents with enough pressure, they will be forced back and then it will be harder for them to return farther (energy wise) and also you can now throw in drops with better effect.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Doubles Game: It is best to gain the attack

Well summarised, hiroisuke. :):):)

I also believe in Point No.1 for the Doubles Game, which you have posted;

Gain attack: I think I read somewhere that at the professional level the first team to get the attack wins most of the time. I don't know if this is true, but I think it's usually quite true at the amateur level. Getting the attack means you can also (usually) control the tempo as well as the angles of the rallies.

9. tcouture

tcouture Regular Member

^^^ +1

I was watching the men's double final from the last world championships and one of the commentators said that the first one to attack won the point 78% of the time... She did not say where she got that number from. My personal experience would lead me to believe that it is about the right ballpark.

T.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

hmmm, as singles is a totally different sports than doubles, it obviously needs a change of mentality...:cool:

11. jn_suzhou

jn_suzhou Regular Member

i also agree that singles and doubles are totally different. Drives are more in doubles and not often in singles. Footwork pattern is also different (well not completely) in singles and doubles. In singles sometimes you need to be patient but in doubles especially in men's you should be more aggresive.

I also notice that a good doubles player may not be very good in singles.

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Yeah, it's true for professional finals in MD, too. Gaining the attack usually means a barrage of smashes and drops; 80:20 is the ratio; and it is seldom the case that the defender can get out of the defence formation (less than 50 per cent by chance) . The catch is that in MD the chance of gaining the attack is 50:50 regardless of being server or receiver in a rally. So, gaining the attack is essential, but in each rally, the chances are on par.

13. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I think I've completely specialized to doubles. I absolutely suck in single as I found out last week

14. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Doubles is for oldies, smash monsters and net hoggers. Singles test athleticism, movement and you need to play every type of shot.

15. jasonxjia

jasonxjia Regular Member

Badminton
    Play and try to win. :)

16. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Assistant Language Teacher - English
    I personally hate singles, but love doubles. When I play doubles, most of my movement around the court is natural, and I don't get mentally tired. However with singles, I need to think about my every movement, position on the court and what kind of shot to play, it just doesn't come naturally to, simply because I don't play singles at all..

So yes, a mentality switch is essential!

17. patrick2197

patrick2197 Regular Member

blogger
    I voted no. The only thing that changes is your exhaustion. You are not as exhausted when you play doubles but the biggest disadvantage is that you cannot really make up a plan because there are 2 different minds at play and you can only control one.

18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I voted YES because whenever I play singles, I am happy :), whenever I play doubles, I will be swearing and cursing :rolleyes: .... due to clash of racquets, hyper-excited partners etc ...

But for the peace of the club, we all agree to play only HALF SINGLE score system - first to reach 11, so everyone has a chance to play and not too exhausting since all of us are over-40s and 50s ...

19. thunderracket

thunderracket Regular Member

None
    when playing doubles let your partner "play his/her game",besides if you have a good and experienced partner you'll have no problem.He/She will know when to let the shuttlecock come to you.Don't forget to "play your game" too,don't just depend on your partner(eventually he/she will get tired) .In singles,however,guard your court MORE carefully and keep UP your defense more often because nobody will help you except YOURSELF

20. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

i love the chess-mentality that comes to singles, as moving around a court with pace variations and footwork really shine, as supposed to all-out power