Victor Brave Sword 12 (review)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ucantseeme, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    It's not the paint that's the problem, it's the shape of the head.

Go to any sharp corner of your house and hit it with a stick and see what happens. It's the same with the Braveswords. The only way they could remedy this is to not put any paint or graphics on the leading edges of the 'sword'.

In fact, I think they should do a woven version of the Braveswords with just the clearcoat like the MX80. A slight modification to the graphics and that would largely solve the paint issues.

Maybe they should do a BS10 Superwoven?

Seriously, they should hire me. I'm full of great ideas! ;)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

@ kwun: nice review. Waiting for your mx70 review, should be more powerful albeit slightly less aerodynamic. ....BTW, you always put 2 layers of rkep elites over oem grip?! You're gonna shift your bp headlighter by 8-10mm! :eek:

3. kokmengng

kokmengng Regular Member

Good review Kwun! I have a 2 months old BS12 (with 1 small paint chip) + strung with VS850 to let go. Anyone interested can PM me. ;)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i dont care too much about BP as i think that's not an accurate measure of head heaviness. esp when adding weight to the grip.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

True in a way. That's why sometimes I actually weigh the head itself by placing the racket on a flat level ground, with the tip of the head resting on the scale and the tip of the handle butt resting on a book to elevate it to the same height as the scale.

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Wow, that's one fat-arse grip Kwun. You're probably adding up to 4mm to the diameter putting two overgrips on!

Just for fun I overgripped my Powermaster with a 0.6 overgrip and woah was it fat. (wood / Powermaster / 0.6 RKEP overgrip)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are other more sound way to measure head-heaviness than just balance and weight. i will gather my thoughts and experiments and will write up my thinking on it.

but give me a little while as i have been very busy with racket reviews. i still have another 3 racket to test out and still have 6 reviews in the pipeline that i need to write.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Perchance involving swingweight measurements? :D

I googled and there is an iphone app from the makers of RacquetTune, called SwingTool that measures the MOI (moment of inertia) by timing the racket's natural oscillation as a pendulum.

http://www.appmaker.se/?m=6&s=0
    http://www.appmaker.se/?m=6&s=2

Hmmm, perhaps I'll have a go at it too! :D

#288 visor, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bingo!

MOI is the proper way to measure head-heaviness!

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    even though i question why they hang the racket at the string and swing the handle. i'd hang it at the handle and swing the head instead!

11. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Thanks Kwun for the review. Can u advise if BS12 or SW37 which I am considering, is a good companion for MX80? After getting tired using MX80 in a session, I would like to a less demanding racket. That's why I am considering SW37 which is med stiff but still can generate power. Or is BS12 or BS11 is worth considering also? Hope to hear from u or anyone who has experience in using MX80. Thanks.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

I have similar experience as you with mx80...that's why I'm looking forward to the mx70! :)

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah kinda counterintuitive. But I think being a stiff pendulum system, it won't matter as the racket will swing the same upside down or right side up.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think it does and that's the crucial part. the mass nearer to the pivot has the least contribution to the MOI, but with the pivot at the string, then the mass at the grip will contribute the most to the MOI. which is the reverse.

it may be due to that it is tennis where the swing is arm base instead of wrist. for badminton this is definitely wrong.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the SW37 i have tried felt more demanding than the MX80. the BS12 for sure is a less demanding racket but also feel slightly lighter and less powerful. so there is definitely a tradeoff there.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

kwun,
    I've been wondering about the string hanging part and I think I've finally figured it out!

It's because tennis rackets are considered even balance when the bp is smack in the middle, ie 13.5 inches out of the total 27 inch length. Hence for tennis rackets, it doesn't really matter whether you hang it by the string or the butt end.

However, badminton rackets are considered even balance when the bp is around 280-285mm out of the total 675mm length. Hence most of the mass is on the head side of the bp, so you're right... badminton rackets have to be hung by the butt end to determine the swing weight and MOI. :D

Edit: wait a minute, I think I'm confusing myself... for badminton rackets most of the mass is on the butt end, if the bp is closer to the butt end than the middle. So, it should be hung by the strings with the butt end at the bottom.

I'm gonna have to try it both ways and see...

#296 visor, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  17. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi Kwun. I wonder why sw37 is more demanding than MX80 since it is lighter? Can u share with us or a short review of sw37?I think it will be appropriate for u to share in the thread of review of SW37. Thanks & looking forward to hear from u :)

18. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Yes, I also feel that sw37 is very demanding due to it's small sweet spot. Imop, playing w/ at700 is easier than sw37. But, when you hit the sweet spot, you'll really unleash your smash power.

19. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

wonder what make the sweet spot small in sw37?

20. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Maybe, bcoz sw37 still using old grommet pattern & smaller head size compared to yy at700. But, don't get me wrong. I like this racket. Very good for defence & drop shot.
    Yesterday, I play w/ wilson jet-blx (670mm long), then I use sw37 the next game. I was surprised.. great smash!!
    I start to think... maybe the sweet spot is not smaller but placed a little bit lower than other racket/brand (i.e. yonex at700). I'm still wondering....