Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hey, a good cook has more value ok! :)

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    haha, sure is! :)

what more with one that can cook Laksa Singapore. yummy.

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    A Letter To Lee Kuan Yew

This was a letter written by a mate/ friend in my facebook account. I think it’s one of those letters that deserves to be read by a larger audience (henceforth, obtaining permission from him to reproduce in this blog). His letter reflects growing sentiments among Singaporeans who increasingly feel as if they are a minority in their own country.

In my opinion, the problem is not the fear of a sudden increase of Chinese immigrants but rather, the manipulative effects of the policy – to maintain a majority ethnic Chinese population so as to ’suppress’ the demographics , and henceforth, the rights of other racial minorities.

Moreover, this deliberate increase of immigrants will cause a unnecessary disruption to the social fabric of Singapore. These immigrants bring with them their own culture which will inevitably invite local resentment . They may also be perceived as ‘opportunists’ or people that take their jobs away.

I am certainly not advocating against the movement of people across national boundaries or even immigration per se. What I am objecting to, is the motives of this government…

Tian Jing’s letter reproduced below:

===

Attn: Mr Lee Kuan Yew

Prime Minister’s Office
    Istana Annexe, Orchard Road, Singapore 238823

Dear Mr. Lee,

I applaud your son’s recent comment on SMRT’s crowded train and SMRT’s diligent move to increase trains schedule. But it is still a pack during non peak hours. It would be a good opportunity for your son to come and ride on the public buses and MRTs again. Perhaps your son may learn a thing or two on public image, from Taiwan President Ma Ying Jeou by visiting neighbourhood retail shops, to witness another social isssue at hand. This time involving Chinese immigrants.

I no longer think it is a fluke when Chinese people in the service sector serve with a bad attitude.

I no longer think it is abnormal for Chinese people to be loud in public places.

I no longer believe that I can live here with that for too long.

I no longer think that it’s funny when an entire section of my BMT platoon consists of Chinese students. I no longer hold much regard for this pink IC, because at the end of the day anyone can get it by serving NS.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problems with Chinese people. I have a great Chinese buddy from BMT and I wish to visit his hometown some day.

I recognise that Chinese who come over are contributing to the economy. To what limit is there on emphasis on economy and to what extent will the govt bring in these people to artificially boost the economy and the population?

I cannot believe my eyes and my ears each day when I take the public transport everyday. To commoners like us, it is nothing like what you imagine we put up with.

Lee Kuan Yew, this is not just your country. Single-handedly, you have upheaved Singapore culture by banning dialects on television media.

But let’s move on from there. 20 years on, when people are about to get settled, and Singapore is slowly beginning to form our own sense of identity and we’re beginning to develop some feeling our unique Singapore flavoured culture, you find the burning need to infuse to hundreds of thousands of Chinese people, from an entirely different social conditioning and background, into Singapore society which was just beginning to take some shape.

In National Service, I raised the issue of why young Singapore males don’t have a sense of belonging and are unwilling to fight for their country, to the then Chief of Defence, LTG Desmond Quek. He could only ask me back with a blank, “Is that really happening?”

I now know the answer to that question.

The Uniquely Singapore campaign that the government has been promoting of late? You can flush that down the drain.

I believe your grandson has just finished his national service, why don’t you try asking what his peers think about this country now? Why not try conducting a poll among young people to have a feel what is on the ground?

But of course, I don’t expect you to do that. Anyway, it doesn’t matter how we Singaporeans feel, lah. It’s how the new Singaporeans feel that really matters.

Anyway, Singapore no longer feels like my country.

When people outside Singapore do ask, I will tell them it is a province in China.

Yours faithfully,

Teoh Tian Jing

Worldpress.com

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    More keen on Chinese language

The Straits Times
    Nov 10, 2009

By Yen Feng

INTEREST in the Chinese Language (CL) is picking up, said Education Minister Ng Eng Hen on Tuesday.

Last year, 27 per cent of O-level Chinese candidates took Higher, compared to 19 per cent two years ago.

Dr Ng attributed the growing interest to the new 'modular approach' of learning Chinese, where Primary 1 to 5 students take different learning modules based on their ability. 'With the new format, primary students say they find lessons more interesting and are using CL more,' said Dr Ng at the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan affiliated schools Bi-cultural, Chinese Elective Programme graduation ceremony at Tao Nan School on Tuesday morning.

In his speech, Dr Ng said although the bilingual policy has served Singapore well and remained a cornerstone in the education system, the implementation must evolve to respond to an ever changing landscape for new generations of Singaporean students.

Pointing to the dramatic change in the language environment at homes, he said in 1982, only one in 10 Primary 1 Chinese students came from homes that used English. This has changed to nearly six in 10 today. For Indians, it has moved from three in 10 to six in 10, and for Malays, from 0.5 in 10 to 3.5 in 10.

'Students are spending more time online where many platforms predominantly in English compete for their attention. The teaching of language has to be reviewed periodically to ensure that it can engage students,' added Dr Ng.

'With the new format, primary students say they find lessons more interesting and are using CL more,' said Dr Ng. -- ST FILE PHOTO

Attached Files:

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I really can't understand why you kept on using other peoples' negative comments to include in this thread. These people have other more relevant forums to air their views. Maybe this is your mentality and you seem to have a personal agenda against Singapore, which is most unfortunate. :confused:

Despite what others may say, we are still moving forward and trying to make the most of what we have. But no thanks to you for trying to dampen our spirits! :rolleyes:

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ST journalist wins green prize

The Straits Times
    Nov 11, 2009

By Esther Teo

STRAITS Times reporter Jessica Cheam has won a coveted green journalism prize conferred by the World Bank and Internews, a global media organisation.

The Earth Journalism award, as it is known, honours people who have used their communication skills to promote awareness of climate change issues.

Ms Cheam, 26, won one of 15 regional or thematic awards in a field that attracted 900 professional and citizen journalists from across the world.

Her prize includes an all-expenses paid trip to cover the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen next month.

As one of the 15 winners, she is also in the running for the Global Public Award. For this, the public votes through online platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. The top gong and the 15 awards will be presented at a ceremony in Copenhagen during the climate change talks.

Ms Cheam, who has been covering the environment and energy issues for two years, clinched the award with a six-page Saturday Special report for The Straits Times in February.

Over four months, she spent countless hours researching issues, even trekking through frigid Calgary, a temperate Houston in winter, and Bintulu in Sarawak to profile the changing face of the energy industry.

The research also involved interviewing leaders such as former British Prime Minister Tony Blair at the World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi in January to compile the report on the world's rapidly evolving energy landscape and the global shift towards renewable power.

The scope of the project was so wide that it was no easy task. However, Ms Cheam successfully weaved together a comprehensive coverage.

Mr Arul Louis, a fellow at Knight International, an American group that helps develop journalistic standards, was the regional juror in the awards process and described the report as providing 'tenacious and consistent coverage'.

Ms Cheam said yesterday: 'Some people find the energy topic boring and are not interested, but its profile has broadened to include clean energy. It's not just about engineers in dirty overalls anymore.'

'I find climate change a fascinating, multi-disciplinary subject. Besides the intellectual stimulation, I find reporting on it an emotionally rewarding experience as well,' she added.

Ms Cheam has also taken her passion to the Internet, helping to initiate Eco-business.com, the Asia-Pacific region's first dedicated site for environmental businesses.

The site - a non-profit project jointly funded by herself, the British High Commission here and the Singapore Environment Council - will be officially launched tomorrow.

It will share information to help put Asia on a sustainable growth path and tap into a network of environment journalists from the region to contribute to the site.

Ms Cheam, 26, won one of 15 regional or thematic awards in a field that attracted 900 professional and citizen journalists from across the world. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

Attached Files:

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i love laksa.. and im wondering when uncle loh would wanna treat me the famous singapore laksa?:D

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Apec must take lead again

The Straits Times
    Nov 10, 2009

By Ignatius Low MONEY EDITOR
    & Jeremy Au Yong POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

TWENTY years ago, a group of 12 countries went against the grain, deciding to band together and commit to free trade.

Now, in a pivotal moment in economic history, the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) must once again take the lead in breaking down trade barriers and helping global businesses.

That was Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's call to his fellow Apec ministers, as he welcomed them at an official reception last night to the Apec talks taking place in Singapore this week.

Evoking memories of the past and the notion of family, Mr Lee addressed the dark-suited crowd dressed casually in an open-necked red shirt.

'We have some special guests with us, old friends who were involved in the formation and early development of Apec,' he said with a smile. 'For example, Bob Hawke, who was prime minister when Australia convened the first Apec meeting in Canberra, which (Foreign) Minister George Yeo and I were priviledged to attend 20 years ago.

'From his wise and imaginative initiative, Apec has taken root and grown, and hence we are here today.'

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that in a pivotal moment in economic history, the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) must once again take the lead in breaking down trade barriers and helping global businesses. -- PHOTO: AFP

Attached Files:

#488 Loh, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You missed your chance already! I thought you would be here during the last F1. :cool:

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Charming multimedia displays for APEC Leaders

The Straits Times
    Nov 10, 2009

By Jessica Cheam

MINISTER for Trade and Industry Lim Hng Kiang on Tuesday launched the Singapore Showcase - a series of interactive multimedia installations dotted throughout the Suntec Convention Centre.

The interactive displays is aimed at helping delegates at the APEC Leaders Week 2009 learn about Singapore.

Mr Lim said that the showcase 'is a celebration of the people in Singapore and how their efforts have transformed us to who we are today'.

'The showcase provides the delegates with a delightful interactive experience of what Singapore has to offer, and is a great platform to highlight some of the capabilities of Singapore companies to the world,' he said.

These displays feature installation works combined with motion graphics on display screens littered throughout the venue.

Even in the washrooms, delegates can activate a motion-activated installation on the mirror, which tells the story of how Singapore met its water needs despite having limited natural resources.

Mr Lim (2nd from far left) said that the showcase 'is a celebration of the people in Singapore and how their efforts have transformed us to who we are today'. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

Attached Files:

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    High-flying youths in S'pore

The Straits Times
    Nov 10, 2009

By Lee Seok Hwai

CHINA undergraduate Chen Jing, 22, feels very lucky to be visiting Singapore this week, even though she has been here twice in the past.

She is among 116 youths that beat tens of thousands of young people from 18 economies around the world for the chance to pick the brains of leaders and businessmen - and vice-versa - who are here for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) Leaders' Week.

They will also visit Singapore attractions like the Night Safari as well as talk with movie star Jet Li and Olympic pole-vaulting legend Sergey Bubka.

The youths will describe their experiences online on Facebook and Twitter.

Describing the selection process in China, Ms Chen, who is studying journalism and English literature in Beijing Foreign Studies University , said the contest was reminiscent of American reality show The Apprentice.

There were about 30,000 applicants for eight spots and they had to ace in public-speaking in English and in interviewing skills.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Apec gives trade a big boost

The Straits Times
    Nov 10, 2009

By Lee Seok Hwai

SINGAPORE is among six governments spearheading a plan to make it cheaper and faster to do business in the 21 economies of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation grouping (Apec).

The goal was announced on Monday by a senior Apec official. 'We have set an aspirational target to make the business environment easier, cheaper and faster by 25 per cent by the year 2015,' Dr Takashi Omori, chairman of the Apec Economic Committee, told reporters at Suntec City Convention Hall.

The plan focuses on five areas that the grouping's governments and businessmen think are most relevant to the cost of doing business, such as setting-up expenses and trading procedures.

A 'champion economy' will lead the charge in each area by sharing experience and expertise with the rest.

Singapore, New Zealand, the United States, Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong have volunteered to play this role, Dr Omori said. All six economies are ranked by the World Bank as among the best places in the world to do business.

Work on meeting the goal will start early next year, he added.

-- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

Attached Files:

#492 Loh, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Winner of waterway design

The Straits Times
    Nov 11, 2009

By Diana Othman

ARCHITECTURAL firm Group8asia, in partnership with local design firm Aedas, has won the Housing Board's (HDB) Punggol Waterfront Housing Design Competition for their exceptional design of a high-rise public housing along a waterway.

More than 100 international firms, from countries such as Japan and the Netherlands, took part in the competition.

Launched in 2008, participants were required to generate fresh, innovative and new design ideas for high-rise public housing along the waterway and incorporate new sustainable development concepts and features to realise the theme 'Green Living by the Waters'.

The winning design by Group8asia, which has offices in Geneva, New York and Hanoi, and Aedas stood out from the rest for its sky terrace concepts, with spaces for roof gardens. The design offers scenic views of the waterway for many of the units in the project.

The award-winning development, comprising 1,200 units, is expected to be launched in mid-2010.

Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan announced the winner of the design competition at an HDB awards ceremony on Wednesday. He also presented 12 awards to HDB's outstanding building contractors, suppliers and business partners.

Image courtesy of group8asia

Attached Files:

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S'porean in 240km race

The Straits Times
    Nov 11, 2009

SINGAPOREAN Keith Hong, 32, will take on an experienced field of superfit runners in Australia's longest ultra-marathon, a 240km race on Dec 11.

The event - the Coast to Kosciuszko ultra-marathon - starts at Boydtown Beach, near Eden in New South Wales and winds its way to the Strzelecki monument which sits atop Mt Kosciuszko, at 2,228m above sea level, before finishing 9km down at Charlotte Pass, the closest that public vehicles can get to the summit, organisers of the race said in a press statement on Wednesday.

Hong, a relative novice with only three years ultra-marathon experience, would be the first Asian and first Singaporean to complete this race, if he makes the 46-hour cutoff.

Wanting to get a feel of what he would be up against, Sydney-based Hong decided a year ago to act as a crew/pacer for another runner in the 2008 race.

"While not knowing what I am facing could be a blessing, seeing the entire course prior allows me to prepare myself physically and mentally for the race, specifically the terrain, weather condition, and of course the distance' said Hong, who works as a Clinical Research Associate for a Pharmaceutical Contract Research Organisation in Sydney.

'Last year, the race had torrential storm and 120km/h wind in the last 30km. This year, I am hoping it will be hot, hot and hot. Being a Singaporean, a hot weather is somewhat to my advantage,' said Hong, who will be joined by quality field of ultra runners from Australia, many of them representatives from the recent inaugural Commonwealth ultra championship.

Attached Files:

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Get best into local varsities

The Straits Times
    Nov 11, 2009

Dhanabalan, Jayakumar explain why Singapore's best should be taking their first degrees here

By Sue-Ann Chia & Rachel Chang

SINGAPORE should encourage more of its best and brightest to get their first degree from a local university, said former minister and Temasek Holdings chairman S. Dhanabalan, 72, on Tuesday.

'We may have swung a little bit the other way where the best of our top students go overseas,' he told reporters before receiving an award from the National University of Singapore (NUS).

'I personally don't think it's good for Singapore.'

One way to reverse this situation, he suggested, is to change how scholarships are given out to ensure a fair distribution.

Currently, top students aim to receive an overseas scholarship as it is seen as more prestigious than a scholarship to a local university.

But, said Mr Dhanabalan: 'We need people at the top, in all sectors of society, who have experience of the world as well as a good understanding of Singapore.

TV celebrity Jeanette Aw, who received the Outstanding Young Alumni award, with Senior Minister S. Jayakumar (centre) and Temasek Holdings chairman S. Dhanabalan, who both received the Eminent Alumni Award, the top accolade for graduates with outstanding achievements. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE

Attached Files:

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

no more other chance?:confused::eek:

17. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    If things are really happened, it is not so-called 'dampen spirits'.

I have no feeling against Singapore, simply because i am not Singaporean. Whether she did great or not, i dont care at all.

I dont think the statement is what you called 'negative comment'. Instead, it is really happened. The only wrong is some people hate to face reality. They choose to sweep the rubbish under the bed. And this is what i think, most unfortunate.

Uncle, if you feel uneasy of what i post in your very-own thread, tell me, or PM me, i will delete it. It's ok for me.

Again, I had no feeling against Singapore, whether is good or not.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you and I'm glad to note that you have no ill-feelings against Singapore. We should keep it that way to promote harmonious relationships.
    I have stated on the onset that this thread is meant to talk about positive things, achievements, etc, that could lift us to do better.

What I'm trying to tell you is that there will always be different points of view, some favourable others unfavourable, but it doesn't mean that whatever was said must necessarily be true. The views expressed in your post are personal views which may not be representative of Singaporean society. If they are relevant, the appropriate authorities will be hard pressed to give an answer.

So by saying that "some people hate to face reality" you are trying to say we are wrong, which may not be true. Furthermore, there may be opposing views and exchanges regarding your post in other forums which may be the more relevant venues and not in my thread here.

The internet is a place where people can air their views on all sorts of topics and under all sorts of names. Most of the time you don't even know who are behind those names and what are their motives, unless they come from an official source, So don't expect me to comment on such views especially when they don't relate to our subject of discussion.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For you special lah!

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Uncle Loh,

Fyi, I love Singapore. I love the nasi padang and the chicken rice there, especially. I love taking your MRT. But most of all, I love your Singapore girls. The only thing which i dont like is the exchange rate :D

I am for harmonious relationships (can we please have back our Pulau Batu Puteh, you lot named it Pedra Branca now). :) As neighbours, we should co-exist peacefully. Anyway, Singapore wont dare fool around with Malaysia because we have that Scorpene submarine.

:p