Astec (Alan-Susi Technology) Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by maa2003, May 20, 2006.

1. rickster8

rickster8 Regular Member

produce manager
    Thanks for the email, I would probably buy one of the Astec rackets, but I had an injury playing badminton a month ago, torn knee ligaments and possible torn meniscus, waiting for M.R.I. results. I won't be able to play for a few months. It will be a very long winter.

2. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

Sorry to hear that hopefully it isn't serious. Pulled a muscle in my side the other day smashing from a weird angle so on the shelf a bit myself. Hopefully
    your back at it sooner than later.

cheers

3. wuldup

wuldup Regular Member

Sunway Student
    Does astec sell their rackets other than indonesia?

4. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

yes, ....
    just check this thread from first page, you can find it .....

5. wuldup

wuldup Regular Member

Sunway Student
    Thank you
    Appreciate

6. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Good news for everyone xD... I found just another brand as Astec's competitor, they're named RS (Reinforced Speed), said to be technology from Denmark, when I find about their information, it bring me to a conclusion, that they are from Bandung?!?...

Can anyone confirm this information :)? Anyway, they're shoes are good... Better than Astec's. My friend said that the racket is also good. They're also said to be the sponsor of Suryanaga Surabaya. That's my information so far.

I'd appreciate anyone who can confirm this news.

7. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

RS is local Indonesia brand, they are as sponsored of Suryanaga Club and East Jawa Province, but I believe not for the racquets ..... last PON, Tony Gunawan used the t-shirt but not the racquet ..
    it has been there even before ASTEC came .... hehez.

you are too WOLS .....

8. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I bought one when I first worked in Indonesia. At that stage RS only made oval head rackets. When I went to Pasaraya I saw quite a few of them and now they make ISO heads as well. I liked mine but they don't take high tensions very well. As I got better I increased the tension. My RS caved in at 26lbs but it may only be that I had a weak one. It played nice and would be fine for a beginner.

ASTEC rackets are very different in that they can take very high tensions which would lead me to believe that they are built better.

I asked Alan if he would fix the website to include all the ASTEC products so that they will market better abroad. The website has been down lately so maybe it's getting fixed. As soon as I can get a product list I'll bet trying to import the ASTEC gear to Darwin, Australia. Their shoes and bags could be better but the rackets are first class.

For shoes I want to import flypower.

I know that's off topic but it may helpl you when making a gear decision.

Tim H

9. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanks Tim for the info .....

I have tried to get information from fellows of Indonesian badminton forum, asking if there is any possibility to bring in ASTEC to Singapore, but none of them reply me ..... do you have Alan contact ? Maybe e-mail or whatever to be shared ? You can PM me ...

I heard that ASTEC will come to Malaysia as well ...

Yes, Flypower shoe is very popular in Indonesia ....

10. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the information T_T... Yes, I'm having a hard time finding information about this brand... When I was choosing another shoes xD... (Having traumatic from Yonex though, the Durability was poor T_T xD... And my Reebok has been ruined lol).

11. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

All I can say is that the website appears to be under maintenance which is very positive. When I went to Susi Sports in Kalapa Gading there were many more rackets, shoes and things available from ASTEC that weren't on the website. Once they update the website their contacts should be made available.

Out of respect for Alan & Susi (they get bothered enough) I can't give out their contact information.

I know they were testing 2 new racket prototypes when I was there. I played briefly with one of them and it was good.

ASTEC really needs more exposure. Every year they have an ASTEC tournament in Indonesia and you can't get any information about it online. Actually Indonesian badminton as a whole needs to move into the computer world. PBSI should list all the major clubs and their contacts but as far as I know that hasn't happened yet. When I was there I phoned PBSI and asked for information about various clubs and the admin person didn't even know they existed.

If you can't even find the clubs there imagine how hard it is to source a supplier. I loved playing in Indonesia but I hate the mess that is Jakarta (by that I mean information sharing and bad traffic) because it could be so much better and more travel friendly.

12. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Actually... It's not that we haven't moved out for more computation xD... Badminton in Indonesia is losing power right now (that's what I believe). With more and more negative news about sports in Indonesia, the future as an athlete is just so bad, that people don't really want to become an athlete. (This could have an impact on promoting Astec)

Another thing is, Sports and IT is standing in a different position here. The IT guy don't really believe they want to help the sports guy (That's what I believe). And they work more with the Economic guy. If Astec could prove more, I believe it will be easy for them to have someone with good Internet Background. And play little magic on their website xD...

But I believe IT is not enough, they will have the guy from Designs, Marketing guys, etc. That's when this brand can advanced to a better stage, and perhaps become a big brand.

This is just from my perspective though xD... So no offense ppl :D:D:D...

13. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Hmmm, if I were to run a business and make it successful knowing that I had a good product I'd learn how to design websites myself. It's not that hard to do these days with dreamweaver. There'd be plenty of people out there in the badminton community that would do it for them anyway.

As for the future of sport in Indonesia, well 22 people at the Olympics from a population of 235,000,000 is terrible. Australia only has 20,000,000 and our olympic team had 450 people. Indonesia could do so much better at sport if the Government wan't so corrupt.

Indonesia could do so much better at sport, tourism and resource management if they wanted to and that is sad. Not many people realise this but Indonesia is a much richer country (GNP) than us so where's all the money go!! Not into sport that's for sure.

Unfortunately ASTEC will have to build their business privately and that also goes with badminton. They can't rely on the Government for support.

Tim H

14. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

different kind of nature for sports bro .....

no money no "honey" ......

15. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Actually plenty of money but the Gov eats the honey and keeps the money. Anyhow, the main point is it's good gear and we'd like to see it here!!

Tim H

16. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I could say that our people in the government have no concern about their own people ~_~... But I believe Politics is not part of this forum :D:D:D Let's get back to Astec xD...

Yes, you can easily learn Dreamweaver, but you can't make a web so wonderful about it if you have no sense of art at all xD... Sense of Art developed harder. And Astec's web would be no match for Yonex, which using Flash, and some programming inside it.

That's why I said they need someone from an IT background, that could make some automation on updating the site, someong from Design background to make the first concept for Astec's website.

Am I wrong?

17. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I loved both my Pro 900s but unfortunately I may have bought from a bad batch. I just sent my rackets in for re-stringing and my friend (stringer) found 2 thin cracks in the frame at the same location on both rackets, about halfway up the thread. I bought my rackets in September so if your Pro 900s are ready for re-stringing and you bought them at this time it might be wise to check for small cracks. At 26lbs my Pro 900s would break if I tried stringing them again so I'm hoping I can get them replaced for the same 2 rackets or something at the same price point. This must be unlucky because I haven't heard anyone complaining of similar things on this thread.

Tim H

18. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

I have 2 Pro900, all strung at 29x31, and no problem. I bought around July 2007. I did string myself, and using load-spreader at 6 & 12 o'clock position.

I've heard the issue that Alan has changed the manufacturer/factory of his brand. But, it is just an issue.
    So, maybe you can contact him.

19. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I think you are right about the new manufacturer. I guess it doesn't take much to cause a small crack during manufacturing. A bit of dust gets in the mixture, I don't know, but I thought I might let others know incase they have the same issue. I can see that if the rackets didn't have the cracks they could take really high tensions quite well, but one crack and that ends it. Mine were strung to 26lbs on an Egnus (I think that's the brand) stringing machine and my mate Rodney who's also on this forum really knows how to string a racket well and uses very high tensions himself. I'm in the process of contacting Alan about the rackets so I can get them replaced. We'd actually like to sell the ASTEC gear here in Australia because I know there'd be quite a few people interested in buying a racket or three. We don't have much to choose from here!!

Tim H

20. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Hello people's just thought I'd let you know that ASTEC will be releasing a few new models shortly and a new catalogue. The website is being updated and overhauled which is why you can't access it. I pick up my new 2009 models this Monday or Tuesday freshly strung @27lbs with Yonex BG80. I have bought two exactly the same. The name of the racket is Aero Tornado and I remember it was being tested when I was in Jakarta last September. I'm not sure of the specs but they will be coming soon along with pictures of the new gear. As soon as I test I'll let you know how they go.