Who got wildcard in Olympic 2012 ?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by sen, Feb 2, 2013.

1. sen

sen Regular Member

I am going to try to answer this :

Nobody get wild card because only the host UK can get wild card and UK chose not to.

Refer to bwf handbook.

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/documents/bwfHandbook2010.pdf

As for this post where Fortune's insistent based on Indonesian media, http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...untry-player-since-2006?p=2038898#post2038898

I think Djarum guy, Mr Yoppy made a wrong statement about wildcard and then all the non-thinking media people in Indonesia just quoted him. They never checked the meaning of wildcard.

That's why I never watched Indonesian local TV. They can slander people, keep reporting false facts that makes many poeple believe it is true fact.

I hardly read Indonesia newspaper either, except kompas sometimes but did not always believe what they wrote.

Anyway, feel free to disagree with me about wildcard in this thread.

#1 sen, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    I found mistakes on Kompas so many times, I don't believe Kompas either. (and I never read other newspaper).

about wildcard I agree to you and the document on BWF above

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Please refer here for Phase 1,2,3 of OG 2012 qualifiers. INA would not get wildcard per se as there is limit for Asia region, most of the good badminton players come from Asia. Usually other regions like Oceania, Pan Am, Africa will get the wild card. See the Phase 1 qualifiers
    OG 2012 forgot the wild card given to which player, it's listed in one of the OG threads

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=21679

Oh yes, there was also the Tripartite Places

#3 eaglehelang, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    yeah.. Even i digged some to know about that. I agree with that. Wild card was issued for the host country in badminton. period..

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

For which players?? All of them qualified under BWF rules as far as I can remember ...

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I was looking at London 2012 when i found that there were some rules to issue wild cards for the host London in badminton. But London did not avail the wild card facility.

7. event

event Regular Member

First of all, the word 'wild card' does not appear in the Olympic Qualification rules linked to in post #4, nor does it in the rules for 2008. What you appear to be referring to is the 'host country representation'. The relevant regulation is this:

If two or more players from the host NOC (Great Britain) are not placed in qualifying positions from the BWF ranking list of 3 May 2012 then the entitlement of two players shall be completed by the qualification of an additional player or players from the BWF ranking list(s) nominated by the British Olympic Association.

In other words, the GBR team was not given any extra spots since they already had more than two players qualify on the BWF ranking list as representatives of their NOC. The previous regulation states the conditionality, which is that they can send more than two players if they have more than two qualify outright, which was the case in 2012 and in 2008. The last time this rule was used to send players to the Olympics who hadn't already qualified under the standard criteria was likely in Greece in 2004. In other words, if the host nation has 0 qualified under standard criteria, they can still send 2, if they have 1 qualify, they can send that one plus one more, if they have 2 qualify, they can send those 2, if they have 3 qualify, they can send those 3, etc.

Since Great Britain had 4 players qualify, it is not the case that as the host nation they could have sent 6 and simply chose to send only 4. That is simply not true.

I don't know who 'Mr. Yoppy' is nor what he is suspected of having said but if anyone thought of Indonesia having used a 'wild card', they were likely using the expression to mean something very different. It is true that Indonesia, China, and Switzerland all did something that no other nations did and that is to pass over a higher-ranked women's singles player to send a lower-ranked one instead and that was perfectly within the rules. So #40 Firdasari was sent instead of #34 Kusumastuti, #4 Li instead of #3 Wang Shixian, and #69 Jaquet instead of #41 Cicognini. Many other nations had the same kind of choice and chose not to use it.

8. event

event Regular Member

In fact, the regulation other than the 'host country representation' that best matches the standard definition of 'wild card' is the Tripartite Commission Invitation Places'. 6 of these were available but only two were used, and both for men (SOEROREDJO of Surinam and RASHEED of Maldives. That means that one man and three more women were able to qualify by the standard criteria, using those unused places.