Cai Yun ( 蔡赟 ) and Fu Haifeng ( 傅海峰 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by labyrinthian, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I've seen a few games where they don't talk to each other at all.
    Maybe they only stuck together cause CY was going to call it quits soon anyway?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Well, they probably see each other more than their own family or wives over the past 10 years, so what else is there to say? :)

3. gogor

gogor Regular Member

they beat ahsan/hendra easily in 2012, but they lost 3 times easily to ahsan/hendra in 2013. wow.

4. samuelkirk05

samuelkirk05 Regular Member

Student
    Maybe Cai Yun is having a new sponsor thats why he's getting rid of all his rackets :D

5. Siege

Siege Regular Member

Is this pair split now? Read an article that they were deemed "too old" to play together. Can anyone confirm? Can't believe I can't find anything about it on here :eek:

6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Not much to the story. The writing is on the wall. They are not going to play together at Rio in 2016.

All they can do now is to help grooming the next generation. Other than LXL/QZH, there is no other fixed combination on the CHN squad.

FHF has an outside chance to play at Rio, if the right partner comes along. CY will most likely not play beyond next year, if that.

7. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    CY should become Malaysian and partner TBH and FHF should become korean and partner LYD.

8. KWReyes

KWReyes Regular Member

Student
    Cai and Fu is playing together again in the ongoing Hong Kong Open. :D

9. KWReyes

KWReyes Regular Member

Student
    Cai and Fu are playing together again in the ongoing Hong Kong Open. :D

10. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

It's a head scratcher. Why bother?

11. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

Any update whether they're still playing together ?

i rather like their play style

12. houstonslc

houstonslc Regular Member

A recent interview with Cai Yun before Thomas Cup. Here is the link for the full interview: http://sports.qq.com/a/20140605/021122.htm Sorry if you can't read Chinese. I tried to translate some interesting part, and it would be great if someone and help finish the entire interview.

Q: what do you want to say to Brother Bao (how Chinese fans calls FHF) who achieved so much glories with you?
    A: Jiayou! He is an excellent player. He is leaving for Thomas cup soon, and we all know it would be very tough this time. As a senior team member, i wish FHF can play as a game changer and lead the young guys to great results.

Q: what is your first reaction when get informed about the split with FHF?
    A: I felt all right. Since we both were not in good shape at that time, if we continued to play like that, the result may be just not good and our confidence would fade away. Splitting and partner with young players, and letting the younger players' ambition and aggressiveness stimulate us, this is good for us and can keep us playing for more years.

Q: what is different between partnering with Lu Kai and FHF?
    A: Lu Kai and FHF have different capabilities. FHF is techinically all-arounded, has strong backcourt atack and fast speed. In these aspects, Lu Kai is a bit weaker, but he is taller and therefore the attack shots are sharper. Also, Lu Kai has his own techniques in serving and receiving. Of course the biggest difference is on court harmony since I partnered with FHF for 10 years. Lu Kai brings me more of the ambition and aggressiveness of the young player. Since in the years i played with FHF we got almost all of the major titles, and we now don't have as much ambition as before. After playing with Lu Kai I felt his atittude bring my energy level up, which is really good.

Q: Sometimes I felt Lu Kai looked very innocent. Captain, would you be very harsh to him in games?
    A: Of course i am harsh! Because i think Chinese young players are training very hard but they haven't use their brain enough to exploit what they trained in tournament play. Most Chinese players usually follow coaches' instructions, but seldom think on their own. In contrast, foreigh players, those from Korea and Malaysia for example, their capability may be not so great, but they can play more than their capability, and exhibit great game tactics. I think they are good at game plays and use their brain well. I talk to Lu Kai a lot about these.

Q: for the young guys (MD) who you think are promising and have the most potential?
    A: the young guys are all very good and have great potential. Currently Kang Jun and Liu Cheng stand out. They have their own play styles. Kang Jun has excellent speed, and Liu Cheng has good attack and well-rounded techniques.

Q: Will you keep playing till 2016 Olympics?
    A: it is hard to answer for the time being, because Olympics is the big event of the entire team and we will have a well-rounded team plan for it. What i can do now is just doing the best of myself. I dont set a specific target now. For me the championship of each tournament i play is the target. For me and Lu Kai, we just started and it is not the time to think about the target too far away.

Q: you have a lot of ups and downs in your career. What motivate you to keep you playing?
    A: it is my passion about this sport. I have played for so many years. Like for now, though i am not able to play Thomas Cup, there are still a lot of open tournaments that I can work hard with Lu Kai to win, and get more scores and try for Asian Games. Because i still have the passion for badminton, i can see the targets before me and will keep working hard.

Q: Which is the most unforgetable game in your career?
    A: 2005 All England MD Championship. That is the first important championship really earned by FHF and me. It is a big encouragement for us and the beginning our achievements.

Q: Who is the badminton player your admire most?
    A: Zhao Jianhua! He has got perfect skills. He has reached a very high level, and I would say no one else so far has reached his height. And he was a rarely seen well-rounded player in the history of badminton. Let alone his achievements as a single player, he got MD champoinship in China all national game, and XD silver medal in China all national game as well. He is truly a genius and I really admire him.

Q: Honestly, what badminton has brought your all these years?
    A: Firstly of course are all the achievements. However, it also tought me life experience (or life philosophy?), how to handle interpersonal relationship, how to unite with teammates like one. Not only get achievements yourself, you also need to help your friends around you to progress. Especially when I am at this age, i want to help the young players even more. Now MD is in a trough now, and the young guys all has strong capabilities, but they lack experience and detailed (game tactics). I hope i can help them with my experience. Seeing them make progress, this is also wonderful stuff badminton brings me.

Q: if you had not had the health problem and you can choose on your own, would you choose playing single or double?
    A: I would still choose double. Single play emphasizes on personal capabilities, while I like team sports better, or the feeling of team cooperation. I like the feeling of progressing together with partners, so i like double player more.

Q: When you retire, would you choose to work as a coach in the national team or do something else?
    A: I don't know at this time since I don't have a plan for retiring now, but I believe I future job will be still about badminton. So far i haven't ever get away from it because of my passion for it for so many years. Working as a coach is possible, but it depends on the arrangement of the team?

Q: What is your current attitude about your badminton career?
    A: Firstly play well happily, then give more good suggestions for young players. Since Chinese badminton team has nurtured me so many years, I love this team and wish to help the team with my efforts, and support it to continue its glory.

Q: What is the most influential accident in your badminton career?
    A: It should be the surgery back in Jiangsu, after whichI switched to MD. After the surgery i became more mature and really cherish the chance to continue playing. At the time of the switch, it is the darkest time Chinese MD, and people said that one's career is basically "over" when he switch to MD. However I did very well in MD. I think these fluctuations have a big impact on me.

Q: Captian, I have always though you are very assertive (stubborn?). Are people in the team afraid of you?
    A: I think i am ok. I felt as the team captain, and the big brother of the MD group as well, sometimes I need to stand out to speak for my teammates, and when the team members are not doing right, i need to point it out. I will try to express my positive energy to the team. People may think my personality is a bit scary(?), but i think i am just impartial and doing what a captain is supposed to do.

13. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    ^

The Chinese players call FHF A Bao, which means treasure, because he is the most handsome guy in the team. And because FHF is a senior in the team now, many call him Bao Ge (brother Bao) instead of just A Bao to show respect.

P/s: Than you for your translation!

14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Thank you to [MENTION=117692]houstonslc[/MENTION] for the interview's translation. :)

15. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks a lot for all this translation work! :)

May someone translate this? It's something about JJS:
    bla.jpg

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

ok, let me have a go;

JJS say hello to CY through Korea's team doctor. JJS wishes CY to continue and hope to catch up with him when he plays in Korea next time. CY is very touched by JJS's message and said that JJS started play internationally even before himself. JJS was already a great player at the time when CY was still playing singles and he is one of the players he admired most. With him not being a tall guy of less than 1.70m he had definitely redefined “Power Jump". He known to have the best defence in the world and leave the badminton fans all over the world with fond memories.

He wishes him all the best.

17. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks a lot for your effort. Nice to see that the serious rivalry is / was on the court only :)
    My dream is an exhibition match between JJS/CY vs FHF/LYD :)

18. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    After watching CY/FHF vs Issa/Vilai in the sudirman cup yesterday, I have to say I was quite impressed by the Chinese's pairs resilence and the energy and brilliant attack of the Thai. But in the end, old faithful and experience won out.

I was particularly impressed by FHF in the 3rd set close to the end. He's shown that he's a much more complete player and that he's not just a powerful smasher. Now that his smash is no longer the same threat it used to be in his prime, he's really improved his placement, drives, net play, and defense to make up for it. He really made some big serves and fantastic net play that made the difference when 16-19 down in the 3rd set to eventually win with CY. This was one of the best exciting matches that I've seen them both play in the last couple years to remind me just how good they were in their prime when faced against an inspired Thai doubles team standing in their way.

Both CY/FHF come up with the goods when China needs them most. It will be a shame when they have to retire.

19. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

I agree, both of them never fail to deliver when it matters most. I really like their team spirit and they sure can shoulder great responsibilities and nation's hope. Even when they are not performing well before any major team event, they tend to turn the table when it comes to team event. A very reliable MD pair from China.

20. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    It is very interesting to see team China are pairing them together once again. Fu has been doing relatively well with Zhang Nan recently, anyone knows the reason behind the reunion of the two old guards?