Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I'd have to say absolutely not. Far too demanding for a beginner/intermediate level. Plus a total waste of money since someone of that caliber would not yet be able to unleash it's potential. For someone of beginner/intermediate level, I'd recommend not going over 75 USD or a racket. I'd venture even to say 50USD if you're going outside of the yonex brand.

2. ishak.ahmad

ishak.ahmad Regular Member

-
    For me, if you are collector, it's no reason to not get it, isn't it ? :D

3. krayziehotsauce

krayziehotsauce Regular Member

Initially I bought an Arc Z 3UG4 SP and didn't like it (compare to AT900T which seems easier to handle) so I sold it. But a month later I wanted to give it another shot so I bought an Arc Z 2UG4 JP and I just received it in the mail today. So this version does come with a grip band. The paint quality and overall finish is 100x better than the SP and CD models that I have seen (like if you run your fingers over the decals you won't feel the separation as much, as if the clearcoat is slightly thicker). When I swing it I can feel a slight hint of head heaviness which I like. Hopefully will get to test it out soon.

On a side note, I also bought a tube of Yonex F-90 shuttles and inside the tube it is lined with foil like Aeroplane EG-1130 for example, and unlike AS-50. Interesting!

4. CalvinSeak

CalvinSeak Regular Member

Hey Arc-Z users

Currently im really having a bad bicep sore but during games it doesnt hurt at all, only on the next day and it gets really annoying, driving car, writing documents etc etc

Ive never had any bicep aches before in my life, here are the history rackets ive been using
    I used to use AT-700 @ 26 lbs
    then changed to AT-900p @ 26 lbs/27lbs
    my next was Arc 10 @ 27lbs/28lbs
    When I switched to Arc-Z @ 28lbs my biceps hurts like mad the next day so i tried reducing to 27 still sored, maybe i didnt give it enough rest but it was weird by reducing the tension not really used to it but i guess ill give my self a good rest of 2 weeks

was just wondering anyone of you guys faced this problem ever since changing to arcZ

5. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Have they all been 3U rackets before, and you picked up a 2U Z-Slash?

6. MrChrisBT

MrChrisBT Regular Member

Student, Cook
    Only at the very beginning of use. I had the sensation you describe lasting for about a week or two. My muscle healed and it didn't happen since. Your body will adjust eventually, don't worry. Then again, I'm not middle-aged or 40s, etc, so my adjustments may be relative to my individuality only.

7. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Is it the biceps or the muscle that runs UNDER the biceps? If it is then u need serious rest for it to go. Use ice and anti inflam cream like Voltaren Emulgel.

8. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    Hmm, I was told that the string tension on an Arc Z is equivalent to 1-2lbs higher on different racket. This is supposedly caused by the smaller frame. Could be the reason maybe?

9. jaiyen

jaiyen Regular Member

Student
    lol wut?:confused: i know its off topic but how does that work? (sorry i dont know much about stringy other then what i read here)

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Not only is the Z's frame smaller but, IMO, the string pattern is slightly denser than usual. Both these factors serve to increase the force needed to bend the stringbed, compared to other rackets, because there is less string between the "junctions" (crossing points).

My Forza Ti 550 VS has a particularly dense stringbed, being 24 main by 24 cross, which gives unequalled control but make hard hitting real work;).

11. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Calvinseak, I was told to string the smaller headed Z a # or 2 lower, and still get the same feel as the iso heads. Usually higher tensions would bring on tennis elbow and the likes:).

12. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S

Yeah that was what I was being told. It certainly does make sense!

13. asen8888

asen8888 Regular Member

Design Flaw - Carefull for anyone plan to buy it

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I had bought the Z Slash on the first day it come out on sale, been using it almost all the time since then. I have to say, that I like ZS a lot. I also had NS 9900 before ZS.

This week, when my BG65 broke, I found out that the racket had hairline crack on the frame between 4 grommets. I believe this crack is cause by the Design Flaw by Yonex on the grommets where cross and main string are crosses. Even my stringer complaining about the racket design that make it hard to put in the main string after cross string is pull. He usually will had to use a small steel pin to push the strong cross string aside, so that he can put in the main string.

This grommets on ZS design is totally flat, which are made it difficult to string. Since I had NS 9900, the stringer show me the different design on the grommets, which NS 9900 grommets where cross and main string are crosses is not flat. Instead it was design with some space apart ( 1st and 3rd grommet are more to the left, and 2nd and 4 rd grommet are more to the right) which make it easy for stringer to put in the main string after cross are pull. Crap, this design flaw is a disaster waiting to happen to ZS.

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Will attach pics later on, charging the camera battery atm

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I don't really believe into that. Seems more like stringer experience. My own stringer I go to did not not have any issues stringing up people's Z-Slashes including my own.

15. asen8888

asen8888 Regular Member

Pics

Here is the pics of the crack, it is very small crack

Attached Files:

16. asen8888

asen8888 Regular Member

I don't know Matt, but my stringer is a good one. He doing stringin for pro player in Australian Open atm. Or maybe it cause by the smaller hole in the grommets

17. psychophant

psychophant Regular Member

Pedicurist
    wow.... the crack seems fatal (for the racket, at least).

my condolences, asen8888.

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Based on the photo, it seems to appear that the stringer tried to force the small holes open.

#1578 Matt, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  19. Xpressions

Xpressions New Member

I just bought a arc z from Gala Sport at Queensway last week. It was found that there is a paint scratch on the new racket after reaching home. So I just want to feedback to the old shop owner about my unhappiness (of course never expect to exchange for the new one).

Unexpectedly, the old shop owner looks very bossy and replied to me that if you are not happy about this, you can write to Badminton Association to complain about them. He also offer his name card to me for lodging the complain. I got a shock when I heard such a reply. So, please look for a good store which provides good service but not only discount. It is a Painful experience.

20. psychophant

psychophant Regular Member

Pedicurist
    hello friend, if you have any personal (or commercial?) grudges with a certain local shop, please do so in private. this is your 2nd post in this forum and both are nothing but "bad reviews" about that particular shop.
    link: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1358079&postcount=498

can the mods please remove this gentleman's posts? :mad: