Where do you string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by MarkinJapan, Jun 7, 2004.

?

where do you string?

1. i string my own rackets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i have a friend that strings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. i always go to a shop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    :confused: I thought you were being dinktious :D :p ;) :).

2. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

A coach who can't afford a machine can't be a very good coach. Is he a trainee coach ? I suggest you change to a more expensive coach as soon as possible.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

It must be a really good hand job.:eek: :D

4. silentheart

Did you take your racquet to your governor Arnold Schwarzenegger? I bet he can string it to 150lb without any problem. Give it to him and he will say "I'll be back.":D

5. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    It's not that he can't afford a machine; he doesn't need one. Why would I change coaches when mine is one of the best in Canada??

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Who's your coach? Is he Ardy? :D

7. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    Wang Wen at the Royal Glenora. I haven't heard many good things about Ardy's coaching.

8. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Currently use an old gentleman not far from me who has been stringing racquets since they where made out of wood. Previously have posted my racquets away to have them restrung as my two local sports shops have done shoddy work in the past.

9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Oh dear, just had word back from my stringer that he cant get Powergut 65, he says Ashaway have stopped doing it!!! (Dont think so somehow), He also says Ashway only recomend stringing to 20lbs for my Nano (Bull as it comes factory strung at 22lbs) I will have to go back to sending my racquets away to someone who does what I ask!

Hes not a racquet stringer hes a Very Old Man!!

10. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Back in Australia I had my own stringing machine since middle high school when the whole family was playing badminton, generally in a social club manner. The problem was finding a decent shop in Melbourne that would string at a good tension with decent strings, the latter being the hardest.

Since we made regular trips to Malaysia to get good strings at a cheap price we invested in a 6 point, table top weight bar machine (about AUD$600 at the time). Since most people at our local club were in a similar situation we started stringing for members with a 10% kickback to the club. Paid for itself in under 3 months.

Then in University I started only stringing for the fmaily since I was short on time and broke strings more regularly (started playing 4 times a week). If you're fussy and like to do things yourself then a basic machine can be a worthwhile investment.

If I get back into regually playing in the UK I'll probably buy another machine. A basic 6 point, table top weight bar machine is sub £300. A restring is usually £8-9 if you supply the string. Not hard to do the math, especially once you start stringing for friends.

At my "peak" I was doing several rackets a night. Cheapo mono-core stuff only took 10-15 mins tops to string, including "bedding" the strings at the end. I find most of the time is consumed while threading which is why a mono-core is a lot faster. A multi-fibre string like the Yonex BG series would be around 15-20 minutes. Gut varied from 20-40 minutes depending on how old the gut was, ie. Some old gut that people supplied had really dried up and was a royal pain in the rear to string.

Usually replaced grommets free up to about 10 per racket assuming I was in a good mood. A few times I was given rackets that needed 70%+ of the grommets replaced and most had "fused" with the frame. Spent 4 hours extracting the grommets once so started rejecting any rackets that were in poor shape.

11. kiwi hacker

kiwi hacker Regular Member

Stringer
    Always string my own, but i work in a shop so that doesnt really count :)

12. kRUZZ

kRUZZ New Member

Always from a shop. In fact, a particular shop near Bangsar, KL (that's Malaysia!). Chong Siah Shop, the owner is a lovely chap by the name of Kenny. In fact badminton is in his whole family's blood, with his father (kinda old, like more than 60 years old), wife and kids all involved in the shop (they all are active players, even the grandpapa!). They do a very good job on the stringing and my friend swears on them for their stringing and re-gripping work. They carry legit Yonex products (besides other brands like Proace, Wilson, Prince, etc), not like some shops that passed off pirated YY strings/rackets as genuine items. And they are very friendly folks, always honest and more than willing to impart knowledge and information to all!

P.S. I just had my AT500 restrung with BG-80 (22x24lbs) for only RM26 (that's USD7.04 to you folks... :) )

P.P.S. I'm in no way affliated to them in any way and form. ;)

#72 kRUZZ, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

shop, i would like to learn though.

14. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Shop, only because I don't know how to do it myself.

15. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

you guys are disgusting :rolleyes:

16. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    what would i vote if my coach strings my racquets for a small(er) fee?

17. nhd1224

nhd1224 New Member

hi guys, I live in Auburn, WA. the string of my racket alsmost break. So does anyone live in WA, and know where can I restring? Help me, I have a tournament coming up and I really need to restring. THANKS A LOT

18. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

if you have the money and time, you could try getting a string machine and stringing your own racquets, and/or other peoples raquets for a price.

19. nhd1224

nhd1224 New Member

oh no, I dont have mich time during the day though. Can you show me where I can restring my racket?

20. silentheart