Listing of 'Closed Threads'

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    What qualifies as excessive?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I welcome your feedback.
    I think u broadbrushed me as the sole cause to closing of that thread. Record show 9 pages of posting, and i have made postings in the early part of 4.5 pages. The last 3 pages which led to thread closing, i was completely silence. If u want to throw judgement on others, please judge fairly.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Banning rude, arrogant and provocative members from BadmintonCentral

One too many, I would guess. :p:p:p

We shall let our BC admin/moderators to judge us as we post/comment.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I think..

..arowana meant to write his general perception of the way you post which tend to cause minor rifts or arguments in other threads (could be through the tone, misunderstanding or choice of words). Not just solely in that particular thread.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't think a list of closed threads is good idea. It can't achieve anything positive, and might well become a "hall of fame". :rolleyes:

I think there are two separate issues here:

• Ratio of signal to noise
    • Bad behaviour

By "signal to noise ratio", I mean the number of useful or helpful posts, compared to the amount of chit-chat, arguing, or whatever; you might also call it "information density". Some forums are better than others, but you have to be realistic and recognise that forums in general have a very low signal to noise ratio. There's an awful lot of good information in BC, but -- as with most forums -- it's diluted in an ocean of cruft. Thankfully, Google tends to help out with that issue. ;)

You also have to recognise that forums are not only intended for providing useful information: they are also places where people of similar interests come to chat. Indeed, the chit-chat is just as valid as anything else. Different people come here for different reasons.

What I mean by "bad behaviour" is when people are rude, inconsiderate, and basically sling insults at each other (or provoke others into conflict). This is a different issue from the signal to noise ratio. Some forums, due to their subject matter, attract worse behaviour than others. Badminton is pretty mild.

Bad behaviour is kept under control by good moderators following well thought-out policies. It is not kept under control by asking nicely! However, it is useful to encourage members to use the "report bad post" feature.

Putting BC in perspective, I would say that the moderation here is competent but on the light side. I've seen much better moderation, but that's been on sites where the owners and staff are more engaged with the forum. It's also been on smaller forums; the task is much greater on a large forum such as BC.

That's not intended as a criticism; I'm not saying, "you guys ought to do better". I'm just saying that it is possible to do much better, given the right setup and the right people (in sufficient numbers).

Whether you need to do better is a different question. It all depends on what kind of forum you want to run. If you wanted to reduce the amount of bad behaviour, I think you would need more staff.

A separate question is how one, as an ordinary forum member, deals with the irritation caused by reading all this vitriolic garbage (and there always will be some, no matter how excellent the moderation might be). The simplest answer is the best: ignore it as best you can (but, if you can spare the time, do report it!). Dip into forums for the things that please you, and let the rest drift away. Stay out of fights; and when you do find yourself involved, extract yourself speedily.

Disengaging from the internet is not always easy, but it's a valuable skill. ;)

#45 Gollum, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Don't think a list of closed threads is good idea

That's why no more thread, other than the first, has been listed.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i have no idea.
    i just closed 1 thread and been discussed for 3 pages now.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Closing 1 thread that caused 3 pages of discussions

Hahaha... It's not your fault, drifit. :D:D:D

BCers who have read that thread would probably understand why you closed it.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Another way is..

..to try and use the PM function. I think the amt of chit-chat or off topic personal arguments in threads could be reduced by simply communicating or clearing some issues through PM. I've done so in the past and i thought it's quite effective and works in twofold (maybe threefold); not only did i get to know the other member but also it eliminates the unnecessary discussion/posts, and even solve/clear whatever is the disagreement.
    That's why i mentioned that perhaps each active member is required to have the contact or PM function on, in case the PM route is preferred.

#49 ctjcad, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

That's why i decided to slow down a bit this few days;)

11. majyun

majyun Regular Member

I have to agree with arowana that you were the primary cause(although not the sole cause) to closing of many threads(and not just 'that' thread only). IMHO, arowana has been pretty fair to you(in fact he's been very mild when putting his thought across). If you have not started those provocative postings, people will not have respond with negative comments which leads to those threads being locked.

You might questioned me for not being fair towards you as you are not the only one leading to the thread being closed. However, from what I have read thus far...Pemuda's and your posts are often the comments(although not always) which fuelled the discussions to become threads filled with tension. And I can say that the "frequency" of Pemuda's and your posts appearing in those locked threads were "worrying".

Incidentally, I have learned that both of you are not very keen of listening to others(if both of you have tried to listen earlier, we won't have that many locked threads in the first place). Of course, this is only my opinion ,so you can disagree with me or claimed that I am being biased. But I have to tell you that I am being honest here and I apologized if you find my post to be offensive.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's because we are not thinking what BadmintonCentral is about

:D:D:D majyun, You have caused us to create a new thread:
    Click HERE for - The use and abuse of BadmintonCentral

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so
    another thread said bye bye:p
    he will be number one ranked in the bc locked thread:p

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    since u signed on BF on 09-14-2009, how do u know i caused all those 'locked threads'?:rolleyes:

Since u accuse me as perpetrator leading to locked thread, then i have to blame my sin to Adam for eating the apple. Of course, Adam blames Eve for taking the apple, and Eve blames the serpent. If Eve didn't take and eat the apple, I wouldn't have not started those provocative postings, people will not have respond with negative comments which leads to those threads being locked.

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, adam and eve being drag to this thread too;):cool::D

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, as expected, another thread that ended up being closed. Seriously, do we need more of those threads???

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

What can we do, when BC is opened for all types of discussions

Actually, the opening post of a thread can often tell us how the topic will end up. It's because it is expected to attract layers upon layers of unpleasant comments/posts to arrive.

But what can we do, when BC is opened for all types of discussions?

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Which is why the suggestion of "Don't feed the Trolls" should be heeded seriously by most BCers, especially those that are often targetted by the Trolls. Just ignore their threads.....:cool: I think it actually worked for one of the thread in which there were only 4 replies to the thread-starter.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our more experienced BCers are aware of who the trolls are

It can be seen that our more experienced BCers are aware of who the trolls are.

Unfortunately, BCers who are very new do not know about them, therefore getting sucked into some unpleasant conversations/debates. :(:(:(

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Not necessarily..^^

..all the new BCers don't know abt them. Even there are experienced BCers who once in a while fell into the trap..:p