Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

24lbs on the ZM62. My main TK8k is still on it's first set of BG66UM since April as well.
    One night during the regular club season, I spent the last 40 minutes smashing while the other guy kept lifting. And even after a few hundred consecutive smashes, the string didn't break.

So I really don't know how you guys actually break string so quickly. Even Mark A said that he doesn't break strings any more even at tensions above 30lbs.

I have a bunch of ZM62 I would like to string the rest of my rackets with but it seems like a pity to cut off strings that won't give in :crying:

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I guess you don't mishit much. The 4 times I broke my ZM62 was on simple mid strength blocks that were mishit within 1 inch of the frame edge.

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I hit the frame on occasion but I can't really tell if I'm hitting off the sweet spot. I would assume I am but maybe I'm just lucky!

4. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

He gives a better price than MBS?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Iirc it's about comparable after shipping is included.

6. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    What is recommended tension when using the ZM65 with the Precision Pro? I'm an average player that still has some occasional mishits.

And what is the best color to buy for the ZM65?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Good start would be 22 for plastic and 24 for feather. White feels best to me.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Agree with Visor. For feathers, start at 24 lb and once you get a feel for the string adjust the tension accordingly on your next restring (if necessary). I'm kinda bland as I always use white :eek:

9. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Hey visor I strung my Legend II with ZM62 @24lbs yesterday too but wasn't able to use too much power cause I bumped my elbow earlier in the day. Trying to use CarlTune to figure out the frequency but it's all over the place and I can never reproduce anything between 1100-1300Hz consistently.
    Any ideas?

10. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Great then. If I try 25, would the difference compared to 24 be very noticeable?

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It's different for everyone. What tension is currently on your racket? I haven't used the Precision Pro so I have no idea what it feels like. Best to choose a starting point and go with it. You'll eventually get a feel of what works for you.

Personally, I am quite sensitive to tension change. I string at 27 lb and feels fantastic freshly strung. When the tension drops, the strings feel softer. I bear with it for as long as I can because I don't want to keep replacing strings :p. As I said, the ZM65 holds tension reasonably well so you get decent bang for the buck.

12. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Actually, during my entire badminton career (around 3+ years now) I've only tried using 24 and 25 lbs. tension with different strings like BG65, BG66, ZM70 and ZM62. I want to experiment with higher tensions but I'm not sure if I can handle it yet? How do I exactly know if I need a higher tension? The last string I've used is a BG66 at 25 lbs. and it was "ok" but I'm not sure if going higher would've been better.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

To get a consistent pitch, strum the stringbed like a guitar, with the back of your middle fingernail. Make sure your phone mike is close by to properly pick up the pitch.

14. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Yeah tried every which way and reading is so inconsistent. Sometimes it just stays stuck at a lower frequency and sometimes it jumps as hight as 7k.
    At least the Legend II feels better now with the ZM62 than it did with the NS880!

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think weather may also play a role in determining what tension you choose to string at. If you're in the tropics (Philippines, INA, Singapore etc) where its probably perennially hot and humid, the bird may tend to fly faster and farther than say, somewhere in Sweden or Canada or even England in winter.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

I see that it is just newly strung. Yeah, newly strung stringbed is more difficult to measure pitch as the tension hasn't had time to equalize throughout the bed yet, so it won't ring as true and loud as an equalized bed.

17. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I have the same issue with the other rackets as well. I think it is my phone. Will have to try with my iPad soon.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

That's why there are shuttles of different speeds for different temperatures. ;)

19. kevindd992002

Engineer
    In that case, which tension do you recommend?

[MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]

Any ideas on my question on my last reply to this post?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

The general consensus and this is also how I feel it, is you string to the highest tension with the correspondingly smaller sweetspot that you can comfortably play with.

Once the sweetspot gets too small for your timing and technique, you'll know it as your smashes will be weaker and your clears will fall short of the rear tramlines. And because you need to hit harder, you'll start to get sore shoulder and elbow... that's when you know you need to back down in tension. ;)