Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Don't think the draw is fixed that way;it just happened unless you have checked that historically it's a constant.
    Well, it looks like LYB is thinking what you're thinking...if LD does not turn up for SO and IO,it would indicate that LYB is keeping LD lower in the ranking for draw strategic reasons.
    I doubt a lower ranking for LD will help him win more titles.

2. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    You probably knew the answer, but your brain chose to hide it in a dark deep corner so the pain won't bother you very day since August 2008.:crying:

Let me do you a favor and remind you once again the simple answer of why Lin Dan skipped Singapore and INA open last year... preparing for OG08 and looked how well that worked for him, easily thrashed LCW for the gold medal with a score line of 21-12, 21-8.:cool:

3. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Whether it came from me or whether you thought the gist of it is rather infantile, you still need to lighten up. It is obvious drifit's remarks had you foaming at the mouth. Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinion, so take it easy if you find an opinion not to your liking.

Act your age rather than your shoe size.

4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Lol ... deep dark corner :D:p
    And I think this little 'deep dark corner' in pjswift's brain is preventing her from seeing the facts.
    Very sad and pitiful, actually.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

ouch, maybe your last sentence in this post you can take it back.:(
    err, MAS boleh to you.

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Opps, my mistake. My bad.
    I mean, LCW cant even muster one single AE.
    I have no probs owning up.

Anyway, still dont change the fact that despite the little 'catch me if you can', LCW is still short of major titles.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Please be reminded that this thread is about World Rankings

:D:D:D Yes, I am the one to post that Lee Chong Wei appears to be determined to surge further ahead in terms of World Rankings.

The "Catch me if you can" is meant for players wishing to topple him in his World Ranking position.

;););)

#107 chris-ccc, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Using PM for matters not related to thread's topic

george@chongwei ... Thank you for using PM for matters not related to this thread's topic.

It wasn't long ago when a thread was locked because our BCers were posting in that 'Badminton Tournaments' thread; How good or poor in the English language our Badminton Central members are? :(:(:(

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In that case, why is LCW remaining WR#1 important to you? It doesnt quite work in LCW's favour, as you know. And as I already explained, he only needs to maintain top 2 WR for the BAM incentive.
    Unless of course, a) he finds the draw more favourable for him as WR#1
    b) the sponsors have made changes to his contract that rewards for WR#1 for XXX months/years is more.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To check what our worldwide BCers think

It is not that LCW remaining as WR#1 is important to me.

Our Badminton players and I had a discussions at makan after one of our club sessions. Many of our players are Malaysians. We started talking about whether LCW can remain as World No.1 until the next Olympic Games.

So I created this thread to check what our worldwide BCers think.

:):):)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Is Chen Long the newest rising star from China?

The 2009 Badminton Asia Championships is at its Semi-Finals stage today, Saturday 11-Apr-2009.

The Mens Singles semi-finalists are:
    * Bao Chunlai (CHN) [seeded 4]
    * Sasaki Sho (JPN) [seeded 9]
    * Du Pengyu (CHN) [not seeded]
    * Chen Long (CHN) [not seeded]

In our earlier posts, we were asking if Chen Long is the newest rising star from China.

After this tournament, we shall see if Du Pengyu can do better Chen Long, and also if Bao Chunlai can manage to remain high above these 2 young guns.

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Rather than the 'Catch me if you can' thingy, it would be more tangible if LCW win some major titles to go along with that WR1.

20 years or so from now, people aint gonna be talking about so and so was WR1 for so and so period. People remember great shuttlers by the major titles they won. Or else we may as well conclude the Harlem Globetrotters as the best basketball team out there.

:)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Let's talk about World Rankings and not about winning major titles

This thread is not talking about Lee Chong Wei wanting to be remembered as a great shuttler.

However, if LCW could achieve staying ranked as World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games, then we would remember him as a great shuttler who could retain his World No.1 for a lengthy period of time. But many BCers have already posted, stating doubts that he could achieve it.

Talking about great past players, I wonder if we are thinking along these lines?
    Best player ........ One who has won major titles and who has been ranked World No.1
    Better player ...... One who has won major titles or who has been ranked World No.1
    Average player ... One who has not won major titles and who has not been ranked World No.1

However, I would like us to stay on topic, that is to talk about the World Rankings and not about the winning of major titles.

:):):)

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

A true WR1 has major titles.

First of all, lets be reminded that this is a forum. And in a forum there are diverse views.

By stating the need for LCW to have some major titles tucked away to compliment his WR1 is not straying off topic because any WR1 should have em' major titles to justify their #1 ranking.

As for great players in the past, they are in the great category because of the titles they won, major ones.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2009 Badminton Asia Championships: Can Chen Long defeat Bao Chunlai at the Finals?

The MS Semi-Finals results at the 2009 Badminton Asia Championships today, Saturday, April 11

Bao Chunlai [4] [​IMG][CHN] defeated [​IMG] [JPN] Sasaki Sho [9] 22-20, 21-10 in 35 mins

Chen Long [​IMG][CHN] defeated [​IMG] [CHN] Du Pengyu 21-16, 28-26 in 61 mins

BTW, here are their current World Rankings:
    12 ..... Bao Chunlai (CHN) [seeded 4]
    31 ..... Sasaki Sho (JPN) [seeded 9]
    100 ... Chen Long (CHN) [not seeded]
    146 ... Du Pengyu (CHN) [not seeded]

Can Chen Long defeat Bao Chunlai at the Finals tomorrow?

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A player does not need to win major titles to become World No.1

All the time here, we thought we are talking about the Ranking System used by BWF.
    Believe it or not, under the BWF Ranking System, a player does not need to win major titles to become World No.1.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

A true (keyword:true) WR1 has major titles

We are talking about BWF ranking system here?? :eek: I thought the thread is about whether LCW will remain as WR1 till the OG 2012??? Believe BWF ranking system & whether LCW be WR1 come OG 2012 are both two different and separate subjects.

A true ... again, the keyword is 'true' WR1 would have some major titles nicely put away for safekeeping. Look at tennis for example, the current #1, Nadal has a host of biggies in his cabinet. The same with the women's #1, Serena Williams, she too has a bucketful of big titles. Look at golf, the current #1, Tiger Woods has numerous majors in his private collection. Even WS badminton WR1, Tine Rasmussen have won the AE.

Anyway, all I am saying is that as a WR1, it would be nice to have at least one major title to compliment that WR1. But yes, its fine to set aside those major honours and just celebrate and cheer as loud as we can for LCW on his WR1. I honestly have no problems with this 'syiok sendiri' initiative. It is like the Harlem Globetrotters telling everyone that they are a better team than the Boston Celtics.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    world number one is not from the bwf world ranking system?:rolleyes:

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

At Badminton Central, when we are talking about World Rankings, it's the BWF Ranking

Of course we are talking about the BWF Ranking System here at Badminton Central. If not, we might as well not talk about Rankings at all. For we could be comparing apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

But if any BCers can come up with a better Ranking System, please let us know.

We can test it out at our Badminton Central PAW Games. And if it works, we can try to convince BWF to use it. :p

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student

Yes. it comes from the Badminton World Federation. But seriously, in our slightest mind, is Lee Chong Wei really the best?

It isn't enjoyable to predict an official WR#1 to be defeated by WR#2 all the way.
    The pride of being WR1 is gone. Neil.
    When people are demand for major titles, in this case, Pemuda demand one major title from Lee Chong Wei, in order to acknowledge him as the TRUE WR1, i am in.
    We need to tell Lee Chong Wei, that he could do it any better than what he had done now. No limitation to keep on trying.
    Sorry, chris. one OT post from me.

My answer to the thread question is Yes. the most significant reason is, if he keep improving. If he does, he could win major titles, as a complement of his WR1 title

#120 koo_fan, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009