best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. nicknackman

nicknackman Regular Member

a good way to prevent just stopping and staring at the return shot is to observe you opponent immediately after you have made you shot...so while ur running back to the centre u should observe ur opponent's footwork...it'll give u a good sense of what sort of shot he/she will make afterwards...ideally in a perfect strategic game of badminton shots are made based on shortest distance or greatest recovery time. If your opponent is tired he/she will tend to make shots that give themselves more recovery time. Always try to keep in mind of the lengths of a triangle. Cross-court shots are tricky to get but they take longer than straight shots...giving you a split second more time to react. Badminton is very much not just a physical sport but a mental sport like chess...

2. ayiee1976

ayiee1976 Regular Member

Internal Auditor
    I'm 32, and yes learning footwork at that age is no fun at all. I feel like a stick trying to learn.

3. Panger

Panger Regular Member

a good way to practice your reaction speed is shadow badmionton. this is by no means fun, but it's very good for you.

specifically:

try standing in your ready position in the middle of the court, on your toes, with FAST feet (as if you were doing it as an exercise). This means your going to be moving your legs very quickly, anticipating where to move from the center (obviously you wouldn't have fast feet during a real match, but for practise it helps a lot).

Then think about which corner you want to move to, and try to explode from the middle of the court to that corner. Don't think too much about making it all high speed, you just want to be able to get that initial burst that will help you get to those tricky shots you have trouble with.

Make your way back to the center, and then rinse, repeat.

Also, having a partner point to the corners makes this a much better alternative than trying it solo.

You can also make it even harder on yourself by trying to move to the opposite corner that your partner is pointing to (it keeps your mind in the game!). For example, if they point to the front right corner, you would have to move to the back left corner of the court.

This is also a great way to warm up during a tournament.

4. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    hiii... cudnt agree more on the footwork thing... it turns out tht am into big time bodybuilding and martial arts... hence exploding on the court is hardly an issue with me... i actually have the biggest advantage as my court coverage itself.... can smash and go for drop shots too... deceptive ones as well... so i do have an edge over my opponents mostly...

-ve thing is i do not utilize the opponents court... in the sense tht most of my shots land almost i the mid or at the max half a mtr away frm the sidelines... this way even if the opponent is not gud at court coverage (lunges etc), he can pick the shot up easily... seriously need to improve on tht...:crying::crying::crying:

any help on how can i come out o tht mental block of thinking tht i may hit the bird out o court...

5. Panger

Panger Regular Member

That just takes practice alpha. There is nothing wrong with hitting shots that are a meter from the sidelines. If anything, thats almost better than aiming for the sidelines, and as you practise/play more, you will likely get more comfortable aiming closer to the line over time.

A good way to get your opponent moving is to start off with a quick, deep clear. As long as you keep hitting the shuttle to spots where you know they will have to take more than 1 step to get, they will eventually run out of steam. I know plenty of guys who don't have the best accuracy, but they have incredible footwork and stamina, so they can seriously just outlast a guy by making him move, even if they have to work 3 times harder themselves.

The best advice i can give is to make sure you have a reliable deep clear, which from what i've gathered should be a piece of cake for you being a great athlete. This is one of the most annoying things for your opponent. It doesn't matter how fit they are, because baselining someone and then sending them to the front over and over will take its toll on them eventually.

And hey, think about it....if you know you're in good shape AND you keep doing this to him, you WILL probably start to get really tired, but just IMAGINE how he will feel!

6. katz_2007

katz_2007 Regular Member

none
    help again..

how to improve my drop?

7. nicknackman

nicknackman Regular Member

start doing net shots...and every 30 shots or so...take 1 step back and do 30 there...and take another step back and do another 30...and so on...do that as ur training and eventually u'll work out how much power and speed u need to hit a drop shot perfectly...

8. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    correct footwork is indeed very important to retrieve dropshots, to enable you to "back pedal" to counter baseline clears and essentially, to get "first on the feather" to achieve the proper form. more importantly, strengthening the legs before and after your games should be considered as well. do a sustantial time exercising to achieve this and to prevent injuries.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's a useless practice. Drop shots are almost nothing like net shots; the technique is completely different.

You might as well say, "To improve your smash, start practising serve. Then gradually make your serve more like a smash." :rolleyes:

10. Ruth-Less

Ruth-Less Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, I realized that only after buying a new racket. T_T

11. Temestocles

Temestocles Regular Member

Nothing
    I'd say strategy is pretty important; what's a 300km/h smash right down on his spot? a great way to open your field for turn back you won't get. I mean that if you can see the flaws and exp-loit them, you must not be a great player to beat everyone out there as most of the players lacks in two major points: positionning and footwork. As you all mentionned, it's damnly important.

I'd rather change the idea and reconstruct it as being the best defensive improvement. Even though oyu might be better placed for a shot afterward, you need to outplay the opponent and therefore, where the shuttle is going is more important than how many time you have more to perform your shot as it won't increase deadly the time you have to spend on it.

Then, Strategy might be the best offensive improvement you might do as you place the opponent in difficulty more often, your shots don'T have to be goddly to be effective as they are located where he has difficulty to reach it. By this, I mean the capacity to see and exploit an opponent positionnisng or moving flaws. Yes it involves accuracy, but yet you have a greater margin for errors as you get the birdie on his weaker spots.

I'm not a pro, but it's amazing how many errors people commit in many sport due to their positionning and they later make strategic errors of not exploiting other's similar flaws. As it is the hardest parts in many sports, position, movement and getting back into place effectively, it is rather easier to look for these than look to outplays him with trick shots, cross-court, dekes, outward slices or any trickery you might find players do. It also applies to Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, Football and many other racket sports. However these are where the position is the most worthy in defense.

12. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
    You need to know what footwork you need to practice, which will make it easier and faster on the court with less effort, some people do some of this footwork but the world class players always use it, a coach cant tell you this cos, I worked with quite a lot of different coaches. check out my web site amirg.com and go to the you tube link. amir

13. duboss

duboss Regular Member

QC
    It is a good method to exercise footwork, I think if you can do 50-100 times easily. your footwork is good.
    my footwork is not good, but I'm no willing to take a drill because it is so sore and painful although you do it only a few minutes.

14. Scarlet Black

Scarlet Black New Member

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to become good at badminton. I've been playing the sport for a couple of years, but I find that I have not been moving up in skill.

Is there anything that I can do at home to improve my play on the courts?

15. Loetsunton

Loetsunton New Member

Student
    Great Useful

This topic is more useful for me

I will practice footwork more than in the past

Footwork so important! :)

16. indrato

indrato Regular Member

I am currently trying to improve my footwork. My friend told me that my shot is good but my footwork quite bad. I realized it when i play against a good opponent, i started to trashing about and it slowing me down until i can not get to the shuttlecock in time to do a good shot.

17. peter_patrick14

peter_patrick14 Regular Member

student
    I improved my footwork in the last 2 weeks and it's true that my game improved, but I need to get more strenght in the legs as I get my legs a little soared after 15min. and i run and walk for 45min. or more. It depends if in the same day I had a train, if i had I will walk 45min. or more if I hadn't I will run 45min. or more, it also depends If I have to study very much, if I have to study really hard forget it I won't even run or walk.

18. indrato

indrato Regular Member

A good footwork will make you faster to get the ball so that you will have option which shot to take. If you are late to get the ball, you can only take a lift shot or a clear.
    Stamina is also important because if you are short on stamina it will make you slower too. Ofcourse good footwork also means that your stamina will run much longer because by having a good footwork you will spent less energy to move around.

I am still have to train my foot work. I still have to think what to do to move around, so i am still a bit slower.

19. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Thanks for the tip, I understand what you're talking about!

20. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    More or less "Efficient energy distribution" through your footwork will extend your stamina :D

The 3 C's of footwork Consistant Controlled and Correct!!!! hahaha