Can the Malaysian win a gold medal?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by weeyet, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1) In real life, most Msian side(+sports ministry, NSC,media, fans) have Pemuda's point of view, so, we ehem "msian hordes" fans are the minority . I already repeated this many times.
    In real life, it's our views who are laughed at. They also laughed at those who dared to believe that KKK/TBH could win 2006 AG MD gold after dismal results in the team events.
    So, you & the 'silent readers' are part of the majority :D.
    It takes guts to be the minority, he he.

Interestingly, there are also non Msians who seem puzzled with the lack of pariotism/support for Msian players amongst the general Msian population. So, the real life situation is different, to say the least.

2) We already know this for many years & it's very often lamented in the Msian media & by the sports authorities. Stimes read it till sick of it, so, how could we ignore it. You didnt see it posted here doesnt mean it wasnt featured.

But once again, as myself & other BCers already pointed out many times, what can actually be done by ordinary fans? Launch a protest & pressure our 'beloved' decision makers ? we can choose to continue lamenting like the majority or look beyond that(no offense meant to you or the 'silent readers').

Unless I can actually change things, then only would I spend time & energy devising such strategies, if not the grouses/comments/complaints will just come to nought.

Btw, I'm sure you know Badmania is an Indonesian & an ardent Indonesia fan. Now, why would non Msians come up (Badmania wasnt the only one) & defend Msia players ?hmmmm :rolleyes::confused:
    On Msia baddy statistics & comparisions with other players,I'll let a non Msian answer it.

#361 eaglehelang, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm..

..i thought badMania admitted he had too much time on his hands, thus his banters w/Pemuda??...
    Btw, with a screen-name like badMania, it's not a surprise he was quite persistent w/Pemuda, wasn't he??..:cool:

3. eaglehelang

He can do other things with his free time - like analysing German Open results where Indonesia players are entered. The fact he feels strongly enuf abt it to comment on it & this is not 1st time, as you know.

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Let me answer it for you - it is doom and gloom. LCW will not win AE nor will there be gold to take home in the Olympics. KKK has too many rings and the blonde does not signify he will win gold.

All hopefuls are just that - they will bite the dust and know that Malaysian badminton is just a 'put-on'. The authorities are killing the game. There is too much rantings by the hopefuls. We pamper our players and many players are millionaires and they cannot play well.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Gold???

Just finished watching the MAS KOR Thomas Cup MD match: Lee Jae Jin & Jin Jae Sung Vs Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong.

For want of a sterner word, 'ordinary' would fully describe the Malaysian pair's current game. Unless they have an unopened bag of skills, court-craft and power hidden away somewhere, it's difficult to hope that they can make it to the Olympic upper draw, let alone win the gold :eek:

When even an unfancied, error-prone, no-big-deal pair like this Korean duo can beat them, Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong would be lucky to not be eaten alive by pairs like Markis Kido & Hendra Setiawan or Cai Yun & Fu Haifeng, not to mention the resurgent Danish pairs.

If you do have the time, count the number of errors the Korean pair made.
    Subtract that from the score... and it does seem that Rexy has quite a pathetic team leading the quest for an Olympic badminton doubles gold ;)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oldhand, the way you described KKK/TBH, no wonder Rexy wants to quit! I'm sure XBall will prove you wrong! This team has announced recently that they will be in time to hit the form they produced at the last AE and retain the title. :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We don't really want to lock any threads but there are a lot of off topic posts and sidetracking away from 'main' issues. Let's try and keep on track.:)

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Ur view of that game.i couldnt say it is wrong.the line to determine authencity of an opinion was too ambigous.but i couldnt agree too.Mistakes are made.bad mistakes.But kkk/tbh are still on the right track.5 months left.
    They start from zero n in three months,got gold medal for malaysia in asian games after 25 years.This 5 months,find the new fresh kkk/tbh back.

I didnt watch the game.i'll say this honestly.

No matter how bad they played now,(as what u have told us here.)
    i will still hope they would be better next day.next tournament.next month.N peaked in olympic.

Nothing wrong with revealing their weaknesses now.nothing is wrong with this.But i couldnt resist from bashing malaysians who said WE CANT WIN.We are in the olympic.Chances are there.why keep saying we are not going to win?
    i will say malaysia can win the gold.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    We've been through quite a few announcements by now.
    That's hardly going to help in Malaysia's quest for gold.

These boys have shown that when they get their act together, no one can stand in their way.
    The question now is, can they get their act together again? ;)

There's no reason why Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong can't win an Olympic gold. However, there's no way they can win it playing like they are now :eek:

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

For my (and other INA fans) selfish reason, let's hope your words materialize :D

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    A much fairer assessment than "They won't ever win it and anybody who disagrees is stupid".

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

That cannot be any more truthful !

There are a few who basically try to laugh us (the hopefuls) off -why ? I remember everyone once wrote LCW off before the IO and said he hadn't a chance in a million-and he won it easily. I also remember when KKK-TBH had their problems winning, they came back and won. All doubters had to 'eat crows'.

So give us a break those who think they are so smart to predict woes - we know better. Save your pessimism for yourself - we have everything to hope for but not you.

And there are a lot of 'silent' ones here who feel the same as I.

#372 X Ball, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the odd of certain person getting hit by lightning on certain day and time is not zero either but no one would bet real money on that. Now the question is would u bet real money on MAL getting 2 gold medals at 08 beijing? It is easy to tout and cheer hysterically in a forum because it is free and u are not accountable what u say. Even taufist, indra and TH for President are now back to sanity about taufik's odd of winning anything these days. Rexy was being realistic too when he resigned... twice.

#373 cooler, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I won't bet money on it no, but here's to hoping - it's free. I'm fine if we don't win it in Beijing - we don't have the divine right to - but I don't totally strike out our own chances either as we do have the people to rise to the occasion and do it.

I'm adopting the "until it's impossible, I'll keep hoping" stance on this.

Everything points towards a 'no' but not an 'impossible'.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    cheering is fine and dandy and noble but there are some here that are making specific predictions.

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    They can knock themselves out; as far as I'm concerned what matters is when the event actually takes place.

Even if it doesn't happen it's not because the naysayers were right, it's because the players were unsuccessful.

17. eaglehelang

Some Western BCers have posted that they bet real $$$, but small amounts, so it doesnt effect their pocket that much. And sports betting in Msia is actually illegal, so....:) There were bets - satay bets, soup bets, he he:D

The other points have been covered, I'll re-emphasize this point : there're already a lot of negativism about the players' chances, that's the majority Msian view. Those who still hope are the minority.
    Basically, how to succeed if there's -ve mindset pervalent?
    So, we choose to support & remain +ve when many naysayers say "Msia players will never hack it to win gold."

I'll give this example again : In AG 2006, after Msia lost in team event to Korea when on paper we should have won, those who dared to hope that KKK/TBH could have an ounce of chance to win gold in MD were laughed at. They, as a 2 month old stratch pair, won the gold.

Yes, for MD, KKK/TBH & oldies CTF/LWW have to beef up their mental strength. And yes, KKK/TBH cannot win if they played like the way they did against the Korean pair.

Nobody thought Kido/Setiawan had a chance to win WC 2007 due to their 'wretched form' (as Badmania calls it), they won. If Badmania had given up supporting & cheering just cos his heros were doing badly Jan - June 2007........

And btw, according to the expert observers, KKK/TBH will still be one of the favourites to win gold as WR#3 even if they dont defend AE. The top 3 MD pairs are the favourities, next are the veteran pairs(minus Tony/Chandra), dark horses = Korea, Japan, Taiwan.
    Of course if Kido/Setiawan wins AE this year, they'll be the favourites.

But, as you know, at every OG, there will be surprises, that makes it very interesting.;);)

#377 eaglehelang, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes, and guess what ? The people who are knocking on KKK-TBH on their mental weaknesses are actually pretty weak themselves - they cannot even believe we have a chance. Given that they don't expect the players to win, how can they then go and support the players ? Well, the truth is they won't - they will think it is a waste of money to go and cheer for their players.

It is a good thing our players have strong minded fans like us to support them at the stadium - the ones who will shout down the stadium to ensure the players win.

Please, if you are a negative fan, stay away from the stadium lest your negativity jinx the players. We don't need you.

And for people who think predicting two golds for the Olympics is a sin, let me say you are a fool. I have never ever said we would win for sure - anything can happen in life. At least I am not brave enough to say we won't win like you -- and should we win, I hope you eat your words.

#378 X Ball, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Nothing is wrong with cheer n support.it may help players.maybe not.
    depend on the team.
    But to keep saying,We cant win - Realistic stuff.Thats bad for the team's morale.

instead of trying to say the 'realistic' predictions.why dont just act as real fans.Support.
    Taking wilfred's - its free.
    When the team go home with no medals.Stand behind them.Show the loyalty.

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed....when does the rule says that Prediction = Reality???

X-Ball is bold enough to predict that MAS can win 2 golds....that's his own personal feeling about it. To think about it, it's good to be optimistic because if you already feel that you are going to lose before even appearing on the court, then, its better the countries do not send those players and save on the airfares :eek: U see..no point to go lah...anyway they will lose right :eek::cool: ?

Competition will produce upsets, no matter how unlikely those might be. Who can expect that Ronald Susilo of Singapore can topple the mighty Lin Dan in the first round of the Olympics? That result was one that was bordering on miracles for Ronald himself! Probably the greatest achievements of his life in beating the undisputed World No 1!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.