Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  2. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Oh man, look at his upper arm, there is hardly any muscles on them.
    Compare it to LD and the other Chinese players.

Something is seriously not right in the nutrition or his physical training areas.

3. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Different people have different physique, it's all determined by your genes. A skinny guy can build some muscles when going to gym but the muscle will stop bulking up after a certain load. There's why some people remain lean even he can lift significant weight in the gym while someone easily get fat & bulky even with lots of workup.
    There's generally very limited way to bulk the muscle up for a person with skinny build unless he/she: 1) greatly increase their weight (take protein powder) while continue training 2) take hormone injection 3) change your genes
    I don't think either of the 3 choices above is suitable seeing badminton is a sport where you play a strategy to force your opponent to play your game. In other words, exploit others weaknesses and try to let the opponents play into your strength.
    The other good thing about badminton is, it's not a sport which is won by one who has the greatest muscle structure or strength like body building and weight-lifting. So I don't think bulking up your muscle for the sake of looking macho is a good idea.

4. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

He's probably really skinny because he's a huge endurance athlete and not so much strength. Spending hours playing and training would do that to you...

5. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Yes but he is an attacking player that relies on smash strength. Having a bit more muscle on the arm will enhance his strength and will do him a world of good.

I am not saying he should build bulky muscles but looking at that pic, it is clear he is suffering from muscle anthropy in the arms.

6. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Yea I agree strength can and does help a lot. I just think he looks worse in that photo from not training since his injury which might have made some of his muscle deteriorate. I think he looked pretty buff during world championship 2011. In my opinion he should stay around that buffness :rolleyes:

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Err, that's the left arm in the pic, not right arm.

Ya all, the toenails me thinks is not cos dirty, it's blue black, from inside, not sthing that can wash off. Does look like he had lots of bloody toes in the years of playing

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You're right as always, eagle! That pic just goes to show us mortals how much these pros drive their bodies to achieve what they do. Give everything for every point, in training and in tournament, day after day. Torn muscles, torn tendons, corns, twisted ankles, cuts, bruises, spinal compression, knee injuries, tendinitis, flexor tear, lateral tear, tennis elbow, cracked and bleeding toes... I'm glad I only get keyboard-itis! :eek: ...and brain damage... :p

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    :D Good one.

10. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Yes, but the size is relative. It looks like an arm of an under nourished kid.
    I think he is not eating enough to maintain the mass. For his size and training over the years, one does not lose that much muscle mass so fast.

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Don't you all think it's very important to keep the same weight

throughout his injury recuperation period until Olympic?

Muscle deteriorated in just two weeks?

If he's staying in bed and starving, maybe.

Consistent body weight for lcw or any of the top player are very important.

Not like punching keyboard with 5 to 10 kilo extra also can punch :D

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Its Realism(or Pragmatism) vs Idealism.

The pragmatist says Lee CW should just retire or forgo the Olympics and/or aim for the 2013 World Championship instead.

The idealist says don't give up,muster your willpower and mental strength,overcome all obstacles and go for it.

Whether it's more of one or the other,the right balance provided one knows what that is, is ultimately up to Lee. He knows best his own conditions and what he really wants. The doctor will tell him when he has fully recovered and can start training. Only he and his coach know from the badminton aspect how far he can go,what condition he is in,whether his form and mental state can handle his rivals in the Olympics.

I feel his final decision should not be made based on what the politicians expect and the Malaysian public are clamouring for. Only after close consultation with his coaches,sport psychologist,family and confidant and weighing everything that he makes his final decision. For all that he has given to Malaysian badminton,isn't he entitled to make the most important decision of his life that is best for himself ?

In trying to please others and not doing what he really wants,he may end up a most unhappy man, beaten and spirit broken - that's the last thing we want to see him become for one of the greatest the sport has ever seen. Whatever the outcome, I wish him happiness and fulfillment.:)

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Dunno, Datuk looks more or less same size to me, before and after injury 2 weeks ago. Maybe they very observant, me not LCW fan, so wouldnt notice :D:D

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I'd be very surprised if LCW doesn't strain every sinew to represent Malaysia at the OG. What else could define the spirit of endeavour? The only thing that will stop him is his physical condition, and even if he is 60% fit I'm sure he will get off that bed and take to flight to London.

He won't be doing it for the politicians, or for the BAM totem-pole. He won't be doing it because there's no one else to do it. He won't be doing it because of contractual obligations or sponsorship considerations.

He will be doing it because in the core of his self, of what defines Chong Wei, he cannot walk away from it. Call it what you want: pride; integrity; stupidity; responsibility... Chong Wei is not an intellectual; he is a simple man, and he only understands that this is what he was born to do. If he does not do his part to make himself available, how will his destiny find him?

In the most profound way, Chong Wei is truly, beautifully selfish. And that is a good thing.

If right now, Chong Wei needs to learn anything from him nemesis Lin Dan, it is this: that like all great sportspersons, he has the ability to make the shift in consciousness, to actually create the reality he desires. LD has done it often enough. Now is the moment in time for LCW to do it.

15. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Agreed. For an athlete Olympics is like a holy grail. I honestly believe LCW would rather go down fighting than regretting the rest of his life on what could have been.

Personally, I think it is going to be very tough but whatever happens I will always be his fan.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Will this work? (joke or no joke?)

..i heard magical effects from people who've used this..??..

17. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Atleast right now, if LCW concede a walkover in the quarter/semis or even in the final:eek: of the OG , he will have a very good reason that he is injured and the fans will forgive him for not winning this time.

Previously he always struggle to give a excuse for not winning major tournaments in OG'08, AG'10, WC'06, WC'07, WC'09, WC'10, WC'11 to his fans. If he pull out during the final like in AE'12 this time, nobody will criticize him atleast as they know that his injury has been plaguing him since last year.

18. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, Fans reaction will come second for LCW. What he really concerns of is his ability & possibility to achieve his Self Fulfilling Prophecy..

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I really feel for Lee CW,it pains me that this has to happen towards the end of his career. I had hoped that he wins one really big one and this OG is his best chance though Lin Dan is still around and Chen Long is another serious threat because in the Olympics anything can happen.

To me,this ankle injury is not his greatest misfortune,it is being born in the same era as Lin Dan and both rising at about the same time. Taufik is luckier,though in the same era,he rises earlier before Lin Dan and got to win a few major titles including the Athens gold. Otherwise,Heaven knows how many top-notch victories he might have garnered and today we may be arguing "Who's greater, Lin Dan or Lee CW?" Ahh,but that's not of his own making,what's the use of lamenting?

Coming back to the topic, not knowing Lee personally but enough for me to say, even if he has to crawl,he will go - sorry,I get carried away. He lives and breathes badminton. As cobalt said,as long as he's 60% fit,we'll see him in London. After all,what's he got to lose, and not expected to win, a bronze is a huge bonus,anything more, Malaysia and his fans all over the world will be jumping for joy.

Whatever it is,I hope he sticks around for another year or two,such a great talent. Ultimately,the decision is his,it's his wellbeing and happiness that matters most.

20. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

He said he will stick around to try for 2013 WC. I hope he does not change his mind. Without him it is almost certain all the MS SS finals will feature China vs China matches.