FAQ: Can I string outside of the recommended tension of 24lbs, 28lbs or above 30lbs?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, May 18, 2011.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Can I string outside of the recommended tension of 24lbs, 28lbs, above 30lbs or anything in between? What is "recommendation" anyway?

All modern badminton racquets these days are recommended to be strung at certain string tensions by their manufacturers. These tension ranges can be from 18lbs to 22lbs or 18lbs to 24lbs or 20lbs to 26lbs etc. Some racquets are simply marked as "warranted maximum tension of 36lbs".

First of all, these recommended tension are largely unrelated to the playability of the racquet. By recommendation, the actual meaning is expressively:

"This manufacturer recommends the stringer to do this racquet at [for e.g. 18lbs to 24lbs], just in case you [the stringer] break it and provided that you use our recommended string pattern, then you are liable to claim for warranty replacement. Any higher than our maximum and you break it, then it is your own problem as you clearly do not have the technique or equipment, yet you do it (why should we have mercy on you [the stringer]?)."

In other words, the recommended string tension especially the maximum is more or less a safety range for inexperienced stringers to apply to as the stringing process itself applies one of the heaviest stresses to the badminton racquet compared to normal play. The other heaviest stress is during one string breakage and your racquet frame is distorted from the uneveness in the string bed. On the other hand, a lousy stringer IS ABLE TO BREAK your racquet with a mistake during stringing at even the lowly tensions of 21lbs or way below the maximum recommended.

Once you are talking about experienced professional stringers such as Alan Kakinami (who is a member of this forum), the recommended tension ranges do not apply any longer. An experienced stringer has the technique to string your racquet at very high tensions as they are able to minimise the stresses applied to the badminton racquet frame during stringing more efficiently than your local stringer (especially that one who insists that you ask him to string below 24lbs because "it is what Yonex recommends"). A lousy stringer is also able to break your racquet from multiple stringing if he makes a minor mistake everytime he strings your racquet as the micro structural damage will compound after time and on the final stringing your racquet will finally give up and break. Badminton racquets do not heal themselves unlike human bones over time.

Technically speaking, ALL graphite racquets of today EVEN THE COUNTERFEIT ONES are able to be strung above 30lbs in tension. This depends entirely on the technique of the stringer who is doing the racquet at the 30+lbs tension.

So what happens if I play at high tensions?

You need good technique to play at higher tensions. "High tension" is a subjective term and one player's normal tension could mean high tension for another player. There is no definable high tension range which can be applied to everyone. You simply can not say "I know this professonal player who uses so so tension and because of that I must string lower". It is almost akin to saying "my parents earn this much of money per month, so I should not earn more than them with my new job". Seriously, enough said.

But when you play with the racquet and if only if you mishit the shuttle (hitting the frame etc.), the structural integrity of the frame will be subjected to the stress test and you will know if the racquet is manufactured good enough to withstand the stress and resist breaking. This is also what separates the good branded racquets from the cheap branded racquets. Although if you don't mishit AT ALL, the racquet will NOT BREAK AT ALL. A very bad mishit at a bad angle CAN STILL CRACK a racquet strung at low tensions (racquets strung at higher tensions will break), nonetheless.

And don't EVEN THINK ABOUT CLASHING your racquet. Even if you are strung at 18lbs within your "maximum warranted tension" of 24lbs, a clash CAN STILL KILL YOUR RACQUET if you are unlucky and NO RACQUET MANUFACTURER will replace your racquet for you even if it is still within the warranty period. It is easy to tell if it a racquet broke from a clash so Yonex or most manufacturers WILL NOT HAVE MERCY on you.

You should always play at your comfortable tension and not be tied down to the "recommended" tensions or what other people use. Your hitting technique is also important in playing properly and preventing yourself from breaking your racquets.

In conclusion, play smart, play properly. Don't hurt yourself or your racquets.

VICTOR ODERA likes this.
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    stickied!!! thanks for writing this.

3. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Cliff notes version:

-All modern graphite rackets can be strung up to ~30lbs if strung by an experience stringer
    -Any racket strung by an inexperience stringer is at risk
    -If you mishit at any tension, you can damage your frame
    -Clashing is bad
    -Warranties are only valid if strung within the recommended tension range
    -Play with a tension that is appropriate for your level
    -Dont abuse your racket un-necessarily

4. icecoldcoke

icecoldcoke Regular Member

My voltric 7 recommended tension is 22-24. What if I string it to 25 lbs?

BennDaVinci likes this.
  5. Blitzzards

Please READ the FAQ PROPERLY. Your question has been answered [in between the lines] and another similar question from you will be reported for deletion.

6. icecoldcoke

sorry dude dont be so angry.i'm just asking if adding 1 lbs will have big difference..

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Of course: warranty - no warranty ;)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i know people who re-strings the broken racket at a lower tension before giving them to Yonex for warranty.

9. Blitzzards

It is okay. It is not be being angry it is just that I feel frustrated whenever I see such a question which if I would to answer then it would be me re-paraphrasing the answer in the FAQ I wrote again for the [I have lost count]-th time. A 1lb difference is still technically considered "outside of" the recommended tension of 24lbs (as in your case), 26lbs etc. so my FAQ still applies.

IIRC Yonex distributes a standardised tension request form to all of its dealers which they refer to when verifying the tension which the racquet was strung with when it broke. I am not sure if the Yonex "officials" have a way to tell the tension on a broken racquet otherwise.

One way to "bypass" this is to write a "safe" tension on the form then liaise with the stringer and ask him to add a few more pounds or even a totally different tension during stringing. I can not verify if this is indeed possible however :p

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Yonex USA requests that all warranty claims must have string on the racket. so they must have some way to approximate the tension. probably not the most accurate but if it is way over say 28+ lbs they should be able to tell.

11. icecoldcoke

Professional players use tension above 30lbs right?are their racket specially made or they just 'can get a new racket from sponsor' if broken?

12. Blitzzards

A carbon copy quote from my FAQ above:

There is no such thing as "racquet specially made for high tension stringing, even if the words "maximum tension of 32lbs, etc." are written on the racquet. This in fact proves that you have not been reading the FAQ at all and are just shooting questions without thinking. And you expect me not to get frustrated at you?

EVEN PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS break their racquets when they are not careful. Remember what happened to Koo Kien Keat's Arcsaber 8DX during the semifinal of All England 2011 when they were playing against Cai/Fu? Or how about that nasty clash between Lee Dong-Soo and Yoo Yong-Sung during the final of All England 2000 which the latter's broken racquet frame even cut the earlier's arm leading to a nasty bruise? Or how about Markis Kido mishitting and breaking the racquet frame of his Armortec 900 Power during a rally in the final of Thomas Cup 2010?

Of course the professional players that are sponsored by the brands will have all their broken racquets replaced.

13. sharhan

sharhan Regular Member

Engineer
    sure lor..they're all professional player..

14. icecoldcoke

Ok ok,thanks for info....

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

OK, let's make it official. You can string your racquet 10% above recommended tension and get away with warranty issue if strung by reputable stringer/Evil Empire dealer. This only apply only to the Evil Empire. Why?
    1) Evil Empire can only tell approximate tension. ie. between 18~24, 24~27 and 27+. You can do so by measure length of word "Yonex BG65" on the string bed.
    2) Given that most of stringer/pro shop uses crank machine, they are about 1~2 lb off the tension compare to constant pull. Often time, electric machine are set with 10% pre stretching. So you are safe to go 10% higher and not too many will notice.
    3) Given we know that BG65 will drop between 5~10% after 24 hr depend on stringer's procedure. Can you really tell what the starting tension is after 2 days of playing?

Please note, the tension range is for most warranty purpose. Playability is 2nd. Warranty issue with Evil Empire depend on how much business your dealer does the dirty work for the Dr. Evil

16. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Hello, Is Nanospeed 2000 a "modern racket"

17. pbe4507

pbe4507 Regular Member

technician
    what is the different analog and digital string tension?

18. Blitzzards

Sir, the Yonex Nanospeed 2000 is technically a "modern racquet" which is made of good quality carbon graphite. However the most determining factor in whether if you can play at high tensions is your stringer itself. If your stringer is someone who is only aiming to earn some money out of you by stringing your racquet with not much passion or knowledge on how to string a badminton racquet properly, he can break your racquet even stringing at a relatively low tension of 24lbs. I advise you to stay in the store with your stringer for about half a day observing his stringing style and technique. You can be your own judge or just post another thread to describe what your stringer does and ask if it is a good stringer's habit.

Simply put, a manual crank machine strings analog string tensions and an electronic machine strings "digital" string tensions. The electronic machine is significantly more consistent in getting your desired tension (so 99% of the time with the same racquet the same machine will give you the same exact feel for an X tension, crank machine most likely not).

19. Blitzzards

If I string above the tension I am comfortable with on paper, will my racquet snap?

No, your racquet will NOT just suddenly snap if you push the warranted tension by 1 or 2lbs above what is stated. The maximum tolerable tension for quality graphite racquets is usually a whopping 37-38lbs or even higher when mounted properly on a good stringing machine. This brings us to the next FAQ.

20. Blitzzards

How do I know if my stringer is competent?

Put it simply, actually spend sometime with the stringer you are looking forward to have your racquet strung by and observe his or her behaviour and attitude towards stringing other peoples' racquets. You will definitive find out a lot from spending the time to observe the stringer doing one or two racquets from start to finish.

Sometimes, if your stringer does use an old two point mount machine and has lacklustre technique (ask here if you notice something but you're not sure if the action is good), you can even observe him or her breaking a racquet and the subsequent "clean up". From here then you are able to judge yourself if your stringer is competent enough to string your racquet properly.