Sport Psychology in Badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by macazteeg, Mar 29, 2009.

1. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

dear macazteeg,

congratulations! just finished treading backwards to the beginning of this thread. will you eventually do a PhD in clinical psychology? i hope you do. jia you bro. all the best to you and your future successes!

MetalOrange

p.s. just remembered dan inosanto once said why bruce lee is so good at what he does. dan inosanto said it was due to visualisation. bruce visualises or played out the fight before it happened. thus, he is so quick in anticipating his opponents moves.

p.s.2. i hope you know who bruce was, young fella.

p.s.3. ...reminds me that i am old(er):rolleyes:.

2. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    hey bro! PhD is a very very long way ahead, i just graduated my bachelors degree dude! By the way Im a very big Bruce Lee fan, im a martial artist myself!

3. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist

Thanks man! Maybe im just fortunate that i am an athlete at the same time a psychologist that's why I can easily apply the theories, but really im just trying to answer with what I know, and people will either go and agree with it, or dispute it. But whatever the case, im just trying to help anyway..

Well, the goal of visualization is basically to make an athlete relax and think of what he/ she is going to do prior to a match. It uses both mental strategy combined with muscle memory to make each and every shot possible, in whatever situation you may be in.

4. MetalOrange

oh, oh, oh! but i suppose you are into taekwondo or karate as they are de rigeur?

...ah well, PhD is just around the corner young man.

more power to you.

5. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    well, there are a lot of reasons why it happens. I remember Bao Chun Lai having the same problem, except that he mentally collapses at the finals, that's why he almost always ends up having only a runner-up throphy

Nyweiz, one reason you may have is that you collapse during pressured situations, when the odds are against you. Maybe not only on court but on all the aspects of life. You collapse or simply give up, especially in pressured situations.
    What you should do is to relax during these situations, think of what you have to do, and most of all rise to the occasion, see it as a challenge that you have to get over it rather than just to give up.

I know it's easier said than done, but man think of all the hard rallies, hard earned points, all the shuttlecock you have to chase all around the court, after all of it, would you rather just give up at that point? or fight with all you've got till the very end? To get over these situation, you just have to have the mindset that each and every rally is crucial, as if it is always match point. Also try and take time to visualize the exact situation over and over and over again. When I say exact, I really mean exact, the feeling, how you breathe, the smell, the sight, or whatever. Most importantly when you visualize, think of what you have to do, never give in to the thought of losing or making unforced mistakes.

Remember dude, It's just a game, yet life is a game you have to play, and you have to play it hard. Tough times don't last, but tough people do.

6. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    yup into taekwondo and mma, nyweiz, thanks bro, just post here if you need some help with your game :)

7. Estoril

Estoril Regular Member

Buddy, you put Taufik Hidayat as your favorite female player;).

#87 Estoril, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  8. MetalOrange

sure will do, tks in advance.

off-topic:

nyweiz, who do you think is the forefather of mma:)?

i think he is the one who mix it up way ahead of his time (by decades) with hapkido, karate, judo, wingchun, tai chi, etc. therefore, the ability and capacity in grappling, throwing, ground maneuvers, close contact, etc., is very much evident :cool:!

see ya.

#88 MetalOrange, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    The Mental game is definately not a quick fix. Its not a matter of saying positive things or being relaxed and ul play ur best game of your lift. The Mental aspect of the game is like the physical part of the game, its takes training and time.

I ave seen a sports psychologist and clinical hypnotherapist (same man) and I ave done work with him (hypnosis) and then I do work on my own every day twice a day (visualisation using self hypnosis). Every1 works differently, play differently, ave their own strengths and weaknesses. I ave found out mines and am working on them with this man and through my visualisation. He told me its a process, and it will take time but once it clicks, dats it.

I ave been doing it almost a month now, and I ave seen big changes, lot of relaxed on court, play better under pressure, discards mistakes and move on from them etc so i am getting there but it could take another few months before my mind is there and gets it.

Il give you an example of how I used to play. A month a go, I was playing a match and I always used to start hyper active, I couldnt control it. I thought, it was a good thing and I would use it to my advantage but I mishit a lot and made lot of mistakes! My partners wud always be telling me calm down!! I played a cup match last week and I wasnt hyper active at all, was hardly even nervous!! I got to semi finals! I believe I lost out due to lack of skill rather than feeling the pressure or anything mental

10. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    hey man! yes mental training takes a very long time for it to be effective. But most of the time we don't really need professional help for us to improve. It is just a matter of maturity on court, doing what needs to be done, compensating for the lack of things or attitude we should have, and sooner or later your going to get there. In my personal opinion those who really need professional help are the players who are really playing for a living, especially for elite competitions so somehow you will have an edge on your opponent. I can tell that getting the help of a pro sports psych/ therapist you will be needing lots of money for it. But one thing we always forget before asking help from a psychologist is that our body especially our mind has its own coping mechanism, most of the time we take it for granted. What's important is that we should know what we need to do for us to be able to naturally cope to certain situations, like a friend, or a team mate, or a coach for that matter.

11. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    of course its bruce lee! Bruce Lee didn't really invent a martial art, he built a principle, the Jeet Kune Do, or way of the intercepting fists. The real essence of it is to having no way as a way, and having no limitation as limitation. That is, doing what is most useful in actual combat, and discarding what is useless.

12. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    did that on purpose dude, find out why :D

13. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I understand what you mean but the prob is most of the things we do on court become a habit etc or we learned to do it whether it was right or not. Its not jus as easy to do what needs to be done or having the right attitude. In my case it was to calm down which i tried to do and found it very hard!
    We train our minds from birth without realising it. Some things we train are good and other things are bad but the brain learns none the less. It focuses on the strongest thought.
    We all know what we have to do to play well but its al about being able to to it when we have to. I hated turning up to a match and sometimes il play amazing and another night, i would play terrible even thou my prep and mental processes i thought were the same.

I believe that 4 learners, getting the basics right and fitness is more important. Learning the technical part is more effective 1st but it reaches a certain stage where mental training will def increase the edge you have. Im not saying my technical ability is like the pros but am a good player and I jus want to play better and play at my peak when I play. Im lucky that this psychologist and hypnotherapist is a friend and is doing it for free for me :D

14. visor

visor Regular Member

You're fortunate indeed... but how do you know if he hasn't already hypnotized you to deposit thousands of dollars into his bank account? :D

15. Estoril

Estoril Regular Member

You are the Psych guy so I won't try to out-Freud you.

Here's for you:

- Kennevic Asuncion is it! Therefore, anyone else is second fiddle?

- ...that anyone else might as well play in the other league?

- TH (is trying hard;)?) seems to collapse at events he should have won?

- You are Ken Asuncion.

- TH is gheheheyeyey:)?

Are you a greenarcher (shooting the eagles down) or a blueeagle (flying high in the blue sky)? Neither? My gut feeling is: you are an archer. No?:);)

#95 Estoril, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  16. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    hahaha!!! you got that right!! how did you know bro? Animo!! are you an archer as well?

17. Estoril

Estoril Regular Member

Did I get it all right? Just the Archer thing? Or you are just kidding me? Well, I figured from previous post that you are only 19. So...it can only happen if you went to a trimester (summer loads just won't do it fast enough) institution like I did:). shhh, blueeagles might hunt us down.

What about TH? Was I even remotely near my inference?

18. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    its actually right on the button, including the TH thingy, or scandal should I call it, haha! Ive actually took it 4 years but fortunately i was 15 when i entered college, so I graduated 19.. are you a former varsity too?

19. Estoril

Estoril Regular Member

macazteeg,

I only did two green (green and white) years then I went two violet (violet and white) years to finish it off. From an archer to a bobcat.

No, never in the varsity, too busy riding with my pack of friends.

Estoril

P.S. Violet is no gheheheyeyeyeeyay:D!

20. alwayslolzzz

alwayslolzzz Regular Member

student
    hi macazteeg!!!! it is sooo coool that u are studying phycology.

anyway i hope you can give me some advise. i am an under performer. i can't produce the sort of form in training while playing in a tournament. this is cozzzzz i am a boy who gets really really nervous. though i have managed to solve this problem over the years. i can now play in a tournemant like how i normally do in training. it is not that i don't get nervous anymore. it's that i put a brave face while playing in a tournament. i will not usually shout, scream or do all those things after winning a point during training but i will in a tournament match. it makes me look arrogant and cocky but i don't really mind cozzz its how i cope with the nerves. but inside i am a REAL WRECK. i am sooooooo nervous inside but i put a brave face not showing it. it has gotten me out of a few sticky situations in a match.

is this a good way of coping with the nerves? or do i need to find a way to get rid of the nerves completely instead of putting a brave face? if so how do i not get nervous?