Is this injury??

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by mamapoko, Apr 11, 2010.

1. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    duno whether is this an injury...
    Whenever after i finish a badminton game(3sets or so)
    My hand starts too ache,
    it is a very stinging pain located between my elbow to the shoulder(should be the tricep-bicep) part.
    The pain is quite random,
    sometimes it aches after a game for that day and some time it doesn't..
    My racket is currently strung at 23-25lBS which the stringer reccomended at my current build...(physical)

Is there anyway to cure this injury or what has caused it(wrong swing, racket tension too high)
    Tks:)

2. shubhanan

shubhanan Regular Member

Graduate Student

More description implies better solutions :)

From what you describe (random pain with not a specific location in arm), this looks like a muscle problem. There's a lot of muscles in shoulder that contribute to the pain area you mentioned (the arm before elbow). Most likely would be Teres Minor and the Supra-spinatus..

For the time being .. Rest for some time till the pain goes off. Then try a massage, I think there are contractions (tight muscles in spasm) in your back muscles. Then try working on strengthening your back muscles..
    I don't know how well your technique is. But I would suggest using a rather flexible racket than your current one. So when u swing back your back muscles don't have a hard time. If you can't have another racket, then lower the tension of your strings by a a pound or more atleast, so its ok if you don't take a full swing and use the string spring ;).. but this is not ideal badminton.

PS: just my opinion/experience/studies or what worked with me. I am not a professional. please see a professional, no ownerships. :)

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

With a disclaimer like that you sound like a "professional" tort lawyer;)

It is true that there isn't enough information in the original post to conclude anything.
    Mamapoko, you should definitely ask someone about your swing technique. And it wouldn't hurt to talk to a physiotherapist or exercise trainer about your back/shoulder strength.

Finally it wouldn't hurt to try a lower tension, if this current racket is strung higher than before. Perhaps you are having to put too much "oomph" into each shot. Best of luck.:)

4. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    agreed, i seem to have a back problem whenever i play but the arm muscle sting is more of a problem.. Spasms in back muscles? sounds serious...
    Thanks for ur help.. I'll try to find a chinese bone locator(should be called like that):)

5. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for your wishes! Appreciate it!
    Do you mean the power placed in each shot?:confused:
    Recently my coach corrected my swing,
    he said i was swinging from the side instead from the top at the highest point.(I've been playing like that for more that 2 years now)
    Could it be that my body is adapting to the change in technique??:)
    Well,Best of wishes to you too!

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It could very well be that you are adjusting to the new technique.
    And yes, "oomph" meant power.;) ("oomph" isn't a universal word??:confused::rolleyes:)

Definitely do as shubhanan suggests and get your shoulder/back seen (and not only manipulated by a "bone-cracker") and learn some strengthening exercises that you can do at home.
    for example: http://www.shoulder-pain-management.com/shoulderrotatorcuffexercises.html

7. GrayDark

GrayDark Regular Member

Medical Transciptor
    The tort game is real big since the mid-90s thus mass tort players are just around the bend:)!

...and ''oomph'' could mean object-oriented multi (and single) physics problems in the programming world:). Ha ha, it could mean Over and Out (then flooring it) Miles Per Hour leaving everyone rooster-tailed:)!

8. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student

o.o , right today, i got my racket strung at 23 lbs..
    finally my hand does not ache anymore!!:)