New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Bro , thanks (n_n)

2. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Heard from my Taiwanese friend that the X80 are sold out in Taipei :eek:

3. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

From Victor's own reference, looks like Meteor X80 is the stiffest thus far amongst all Victors. Really love to see a clash between MX80 and VT80:).

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

MX80 will prevail :)

5. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

I meant LCW with VT80 and LYD with MX80 kind of clash:). Not sword like clash:cool:.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Sounds Like Victor owns Yonex currently :)

/T

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

MX80 would thrash VT80:p

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    someone should really do a "clash of the 80" square-off between the two. :)

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I would, but funds do not permit unfortunetly.:( I have to choose and obviously I will go with the MX80

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i will do it. but it will be in a month's time as availability in the US is zero both both rackets at the moment.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Thanks, I will give a review of the MX80 when I buy it.:) hopefully soon.:)

12. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    after been using my MX80 for more than 2 weeks now ...
    here's my final verdict for the racket

with it's very stiff shaft and slightly head heavy it is powerful for smash and attacking play. suitable for offensive player and hard hitters. good for rapid fire or repetitive smashes. also good for fast exchange / fast drives.

with the total weight of 93.5 grms it is light and nimble. fast and speedy swing due to it's octagonal frame and peak wave technology, overall good agility and maneuverability.

13. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

What is Lining up to these days? People realizing they are pricier than Victor and even Yonex? Quality wise, Victor or Lining?

14. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    From what you mentioned, it somehow resembles the NS9900. correct me if im wrong?
    if mx80 stiffness really is the same as NS9900, this thing will be perfect for my MD and XD game. :)

15. ksquared

ksquared Regular Member

Far from it. mx80 is head heavy. i tried both and they have very different feel.

16. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    yes it is perfect for MD but I don't know much about XD because I seldom play XD due to lack of ladies player available

yes the only difference is MX80 is a little head heavy (BP 294 mm) and NS9900 is considered to be head light (BP +/- 285 mm)

#336 jump-smash, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    2 scans from the 2011 Victor catalog on the X80.

sorry only have Chinese catalog available. info is similar to the first post in this thread. but with pictures.

IMG_0127.jpg IMG_0128.jpg

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and here is the 80 holes stringing pattern

IMG_0125.jpg

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    more Meteor X80 materials from the catalog

IMG_0137.jpg IMG_0138.jpg

20. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

So how does it play? x80 vs tc700

In a single word, this is the most impressive racket I've tried since the TC700. While I have not gotten as much power from the x80, it is certainly the most stable racket and has a lot of haste. If not for the tc700, I will just as likely have gotten a few of these as my main racket.

The purpose of my trying more rackets is to find a suitable off-day racket. The TC700 is great and all but on days that I don't play well, the TC700 can be quite frustrating being the least cooperative. To say that the tc700 places a high demand on the user cannot be understated. Effectively, I want a tc700 with a bigger sweetspot with better speed at the expense of power. The x80 exceeds those expectations in my 4hr run with players who are stronger than those I'm used to (and me).

Now, on to the x80. The piece tested is a 4ug2 but was chosen to be the heaviest among 4 pieces of 4u. Apparently, the weight is not that much lighter than the 3u. As luck may have it, this piece has a swing weight of 41g which is very similar to my tc700 at 42g. Total weight (towel grip over cone + string) is 98g vs 101g for all my tc700.

Clearing: The key is that the racket responds well to wrist flicks and the x80 does as well as the tc700. In fact, given its larger sweetspot, it edges out the tc700 for clears when under pressure. Here, x80 >= tc700

Drives: tc700 and x80 are two different animals. tc700 drives hard but the x80 is fast. x80 tends to be easier for drives so I'd go for placement than power. They are too different to compare. x80 != tc700

Netplay: both x80 and tc700 are superb here being stable rackets. Sweetspots are not important here. x80 = tc700

Dropshots: The stiffness of both x80 and tc700 made dropshots very easy to control in both the shots speed and direction. x80 = tc700

Smashes: This is the forte of the tc700. I floated more smashes with the x80 than the tc700 but I can put that down to not knowing the racket well enough or bad technique. Those that were acceptable, the tc700 just has much more punch. tc700 > x80

Backhand shots in general are easier with the x80 than the tc700. Both gives a good punch but the x80 has better speed and again a larger sweetspot. In a good day, I'd say they are equal but when under lots of pressure, the speed and sweetspot size of the x80 is godsent. x80 > tc700

Defending: Again, 2 different beast. x80 gets there faster and has the stability to get the shuttle where I want (recall that I am let down at the ArcZ for getting there but then the shaft flexes too much to lose intent). tc700 gets there too (albeit a bit later) but delivers the intention with venon. For pure defending, x80 > tc700 but for counter attacks, tc700 > x80. I'd say there are again different.

Last but not least, feel. I'd say the x80 is somewhat muted. tc700 is chatty, so much that on a bad day, the elbow will complain. I can only tell roughly where the shot impacts the x80 but it is very comfortable despite its stiff shaft. Measured purely on feel, tc700 > x80.

Verdict

I doubt the x80 is really going to play second fiddle to the tc700. I appreciate its speed and stability as much as I appreciate tc700's power and feel. The offering is just different and I find myself happy to pick up either racket for now. Victor has done a really superb job with the x80. For me, this one's a keeper.