Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Right, it's the rules!

So I'd like to see people who are responsible for this to get the black card and loose their job! They did damage to the image of Badminton by not thinking through the group format rules.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    yes,they will be the one of the contender for oscar,along with lin dan and chen jin

3. rexelus

rexelus Regular Member

i am so freakin disappointed in the kor pair KHN and KJE...who knew such cuties would sink to a new low. I guess they chose their jobs over their integrity...but to me they will still be cute

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I have a baddy session later in the afternoon. I will try to do what WXL/YY did. Don't know if I will succeed. It's a tough act to follow.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    its tough,otherwise everyone can win oscar!

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

probably? understatement of the year

7. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Just read the comments(live) from the Day-4 discussion thread about this match.. I was wondering, to counter this kind of behavior in the group stage, the only way is modify the rule like this...

Rule :- The game carries (say)2 points, and the winner will be given the chance to decide who to take that points. (among the two teams). [Instead now the rule is to award the points to the winner].

This is just like the toss that done before the game, that the winner will get to decide what to do with the SERVE (receive/serve-first).. :)

So at the least the games will be played in good spirit, so to get a chance to decide on the points, who to take it.

So if a team has no desire to keep the points thus they avoid the other team from the same country, they are to play fair and win the match.. So at the least the spectators wont be disappointed. :)

-- Ashaan

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

They were trying real hard, to lose

9. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

goddamn you must be a professional that any time you sandbag spectators will start booing.

sucky situation for wxl/yy. Everyone wants to be a winner if any single one of you were in a position to avoid your worst opponent (ex. who you have a losing record like 1-15 or something) or best friend/teammate etc in the next round or later ones wouldn't the temptation be there? The temptation to avoid them til no choice (ex. in the finals where both will end up getting a reward, medal, money etc)

If you win the match, you face your best friend or teammate and you or the other person will move on potentially winning a medal while you get nothing. If you lose the match, you meet best friend or teammate in final possibly and 1st and 2nd get a medal definitely. Both you and friend go down in history as "winners" vs. one getting a medal and other a "loser" no medal.

Sure it hurts the spectators cause they want to see competitive badminton but forgive wxl/yy not being interested in winning this group match because why the heck would they want to send fellow teammates home empty handed vs. another country. Olympic glorifies the medals whichever has the most gold or w/e gets bragging rights positive reinforcement in form of like endorsements, tons of coverage
    (ex. Michael Phelps guy who has 19 medals over and over on TV at least in US)

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

FIVE, and the Japanese after the danish won!

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think OLympic has to follow the way Thomas Cup doing, draw after group match finished.......

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. But is the punishment that they give appropriate?

13. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

But then, only the Koreans are confirm of being guilty for purposely losing the match as their smart head coach admitted it himself.. He blamed the Chinese for doing it 1st. China never did admit that they cheated. They only said that they were conserving energy. okay, that was wrong also but conserving energy does not really mean cheating. Indonesians said they played badly until the referee came in n tell them that they were not trying hard enough and that distracted them and they were feeling uneasy towards the things referee said. So, its the referee's fault of causing the indonesian to lose.
    Take note : if the committee were to disqualify players, Koreans will be SURE to be disqualified as they have admitted it. GUILTY! China can still fight n appeal the case. And I would say Indonesians are almost innocent.. they looked and sounded innocent and their reason is reasonable enough :p

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    don't really want to drag another country into it, but Malaysia isn't that much better. KKK/TBH gave a lackluster match against LYD/JJS, and that allows them to meet the lower ranked Thai pair in the Quarterfinal.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Err, BWF not here, it is IOC who setup the rules of round robin play, I think;) The rules intent is good but bad dudes manipulate it to fix matches to their advantage. So, you want out of the gang of 4 now? I am so disappointed you know. I thought the 4 of us are comrades, stick together and defend CHN against all these forumers who cry foul that our great comrades fix matches:crying:

16. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

oh, wasnt paying attention to that match but when I saw the score, I wasnt surprise at all.. Guess I just lost confidence in them, I never thought they would win against LYD/JJS...

17. Dillon

Dillon Regular Member

Shameless shuttlers lose for gains

By Ian Ransom
    LONDON (Reuters) - The London Olympics badminton tournament descended into chaos on Tuesday as opposing players in two women's doubles matches attempted to throw their final preliminary round matches to secure a more favourable draw in the knockout rounds. Spectators at the Wembley Arena shouted abuse and jeered at players from China, South Korea and Indonesia when they deliberately sprayed shots and duffed serves into the net to concede points in attempts to lose on purpose.
    Forced to act on the matter, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) launched a probe as the whole tournament was plunged into turmoil.
    "We will have a real discussion tonight to see what has happened," Paisan Rangsikitpho, a technical delegate at the tournament, told Reuters at Wembley Arena.
    "If it's true what I hear, this is a shame and I don't like it. And I'm not going to accept anything that I don't like at all. It's not in a good spirit.
    "It is (embarrassing) at the Games. I apologise to the public, I apologise for everyone and I am not happy. If we have to stay up all night, we will have a serious meeting."
    South Korea head coach Sung Han-kook admitted two of his pairings had attempted to throw their matches against China's world champion duo and an Indonesian team, but said it was in retaliation against the Chinese team who instigated the farce.
    He said they had deliberately tried to throw the first of the tainted matches to ensure their leading duo of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli would be sure not to meet China's number two pair until the gold medal decider.
    "The Chinese started this. They did it first," Sung told reporters through an interpreter. "It's a complicated thing with the draws. They didn't want to meet each other in the semi-final.
    "So we did the same. We didn't want to play the South Korean team again (in the knockout)," he said.
    As it panned out, China's Yu and Wang ended up losing to South Korea's Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na 21-14 21-11 after a tournament referee warned both teams that they could be disqualified.
    The first game's longest rally was four shots.
    CONSERVING STRENGTH
    Players were jeered as they left the arena, with the result putting Yu and Wang on the other side of the draw of their Chinese opponents.
    China's long-serving head coach Li Yongbo denied anything was amiss when cornered by Reuters at the venue. "This is nothing. It was just a game," said Li with a chuckle as he walked off, declining to comment further.
    Yu, who won doubles gold at the Beijing Games with partner Du Jing, claimed she and her team mate had eased off to conserve their strength for the knockout rounds.
    "Actually these opponents really were strong. This is the first time we've played them and tomorrow it's the knockout rounds, so we've already qualified and we wanted to have more energy for the knockout rounds," she told Reuters.
    "Really, it's not necessary to go out hard again when the knockout rounds are tomorrow."
    Boos again rang out from the crowd later in the evening session as the match between South Korean pair of Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jing and Indonesian pair Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari repeated the same farcical scenario.
    With spectators yelling "get off", another tournament referee emerged and waved a black card, indicating both teams were disqualified, prompting a roar of approval from the stands.
    However, the referee rescinded the decision moments later after coaches from both teams implored the contest to be allowed to continue, and South Korea's Ha and Kim ended up as reluctant winners in three sets over the Indonesians.
    The BBC quoted an IOC spokesman as saying: "The federation has a huge experience in refereeing their sport and we have every confidence that they will deal with the issue appropriately and take any necessary measures."
    Players and coaches of other teams expressed disdain and laid the blame on the Chinese camp.
    "It's because of those Chinese...," a Taiwan team coach who declined to be identified told Reuters.
    BIG SHAME
    Bulgarian singles player Alesia Zaitsave said China regularly manipulated results to avoid playing each other.
    "They did so many times last year, they did not play between each other like 20 matches. They do what they want."
    Germany men's singles player Marc Zwiebler said the South Korean team had manipulated their matches in the 2008 Thomas Cup in which national teams compete.
    "Against England, they wanted to get second in their group, so all the doubles players played singles and the singles players played doubles and they were just laughing on the court and let England win," Zwiebler said.
    "So England finished top of the group and had to play a stronger team."
    China's head coach Li told one of his women's singles players to throw her semi-final match at the Athens Games to allow her team mate Zhang Ning to be fresher for the final against Dutchwoman Mia Audina. Zhang duly won the gold.
    "If it was the case they wanted to purposefully lose, then it's a big shame... It's absolutely stupid and shameful sport, basically," Zwieber added.
    "I can understand the motives but that they have the guts to actually stand in a crowded hall and put such shame in the game, it's such a bad image of badminton."
    Organisers released the draw later on Tuesday, with all of the teams involved listed in the quarter-finals.
    (Editing by Peter Rutherford, Greg Stutchbury and John O'Brien)

18. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    been reading lots of tweets about it this morning when i woke up. And now the headline is "Eight women 'charged' for throwing badminton match". Have yet to read the actions gonna be taken. Legally, it's definitely not wrong to do so as many of you have mentioned here as the players are only taking advantage of the loophole of the new format. Why not BWF takes the responsibility instead of blaming the players? Obviously gold medal is everyone's dream and it is expected for them to do anything within their means (as long as it's legal to get it).

19. Dillon

Dillon Regular Member

KKK/TBH met LYD/JJS 12 times, and the Malaysian pair only won 2/12 meetings.
    So yeah... the Koreans are better players.

20. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    lose the battle, win the war