How much do you hate plastic?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by wedgewenis, May 12, 2007.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The plastic shuttles don't die, but the rally do, in a much faster way. Of course, the fun gone with wind as well. :eek:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, not all people can buy feathers that cheap and have such wide selection of sellers.
    For speed 73 to 74, try to find sellers for that, forget about good deals. We r stuck with buying from only a few source. Here AS20 cost 21/doz(use to be 24/doz but high C$ helped), Victor green 24$/doz from bulk buy. Add to that air is drier here so feathers breaks faster (relative to 77-79 at sea level climate) even with steaming. If i use your assumption 9 games/2 hrs session, 1.5shuttle/game x 9 =13.5 shuttles. Using 22/doz, Cost =$6.2/person. I'm was basing it on your assumption of usage. Here, we have to tip most of the feather shuttles before use, further cutting into durabiltiy of each feather shuttle used.

Plastic: I got $1.25/person.

yes, i can afford 6$/session, i was just recalculating the math to better reflect our situration here. If u look at what dinkalot spent on shuttles, u can see it's no $6/session.

as for C or lower level players, feather cost way more since the fastest way to wreck a feather shuttle is to mishit.

#82 cooler, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

forgot to add:

(6.1-1.25)x 3 sessions/wk *52 week=772$ extra/yr. For some students, that could be expensive, plus u have to find 3 other players who r willing to go along with this too.

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Cooler: You ain't looking hard enough (Last Shipment of HQ-Blue worked out to be $13/tube and they are the perfect speed - no tipping required)

I find I mishit a good feather shuttles, there is still a change it can be used. I mishit a plastic and it's done.

Also I have the brute force to turn brand new 300s into bullets so rallies tend to be short.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

then we need to talk;)
    let me know when u r doing your next bulk order:) 1 Cdn$ is 1.015 USD today:):):)

Currently i'm using AS20, victor blue and green and they are in 17=24$ range.

#85 cooler, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I understand, and I also said that my calculation does not reflect every case. However, look at how much ppl (even young ppl) spend on video games, cell bills (txt messages), clothes, eating outs, parties... The extra $700 might not be an mission impossible.

Of course, everyone has his/her own judgement about whether you want to spend the extra for this sport. Someone can put up 10K extra for his car without blinking his eyes, but can feel heart breaking to spend $5 on feather shuttles, well, I won't blame them, simply because they are different. ;)

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Again, my calculation does not reflect every case. However, I am pretty sure most ppl crying out here about "feather is too expensive" don't need special speed 73, but more fell into my categories of normal usage.

Of course, the lower level of playing might cost a bit more due to extra damage. However, they don't need to get $18 per tube shuttles either. The drills can be done by used shuttles, and practice grade shuttles for recreation playing could be as cheap as US$10 or lower. Never have to mention there's also bulk order options. ;)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, only 1.5 place i go that players use feathers. If i want to play elsewhere, i'm stuck using plastic.

i agree with your assessment of human nature. Often i see people research weeks before buying something minor or trival while they spent much less time researching for some big ticket item.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... I can't agree more than that. Ppl spend more time to analyze "seseame" but ignore the big "watermelon". :p

10. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

In germany all the clubs play with feather and most of the unorganized players (not club members) use plastics. For the club-league games and tournaments most of the clubs spend the shuttles and fees.

When you want to play with non-club-people, you have to play with plastics! And there are such people that are very good but dont want to spend much time and travel to league games or tournaments that in germany are on saturday afternoon:eek: or sunday morning:eek::eek:

And i find really big fun to play with such guys, when you play just for fun.
    In league or tournament the games are more about winning, you have to play consistent and safe, you woudnt try to play some crazy or extravagant strokes like Sigit when the match is tight and the points of your team are at stake:D

This are quite different situations but i think both very entertaining.

- 1 dz. mavis 350 = 14 euro = 20 $ buying online and in a sport shop 20 euro = 28 $

- 1 dz. as 30 or victor champion 16,50 euro = 23 $, buying online, normally you dont find feather in sport shops here

#90 bdbc74, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Doohh?

If points to our team is at stake, I really want to play like Sigit!!!!

/Twobeer

12. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

looool

Oh yes? Then try it next time, and tell us about the results:):):)

I play my very first league single against a guy with a very spectacular and good looking style. At first i was quite impressed but he made so many mistakes... he made my points alone:)

The best is when you can win after playing conservatively and making the last points with some really crazy shots, like around-the-head-jump-half-smash in Chen Jin style:D:D

13. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    Why has this topic changed into how much can u afford for shuttles instead of HOW MUCH U REALLY HATE PLASTICS..man..what do u people get in english courses for staying OFF topic..lolz...

Plastics = no feel, more for beginners, teaches the wrong techniques (There are reasons why pros don't play w/ nylons..........wonder why)
    Feathers = The Way It's Meant To Be Played. Period.

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I'd like to see a plastic bird coach people to use the wrong techniques.

15. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    MOST coaches don't use plastics..lol..just those who train high school kids..otherwise..all badminton centres use feathers to train..n when hitting a plastic..the actual way u hit a feather will somewhat differ from how u hit a ded plastic bird..=p

16. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    whats better, a slightly worn (frayed or with 1 feather missing) feather bird or a new nylon?

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    A sligthly worn feather is in most cases much better than a new nylon.. it may be slight off speed or trjactorym or wobbly, but will still have a better flight-path than a new plastic!!

/Twobeer

18. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i diasgree.
    a real shuttle missing one feather is absolutely unacceptable for use other than multi-shuttle feed.
    if you want to be actually hitting shots with it, i'd say the new nylon shuttle is better than a crippled feather.

once something falls off of a feathered shuttle, it is not "slightly off speed", but rather "quite well off speed".

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    More usable for feeding than a plastic mavis imop..

Dissagree completle :)
    The plastic just fosters wrong technice (more arm, due to the more heavy feel than a feather). and as the trajecory is f-ed of by default any placement shots, or net-playe will pretty much a waste of training (if you are advanced)..

If you are a newbie just trying to whack the shuttle over net randomly, I guess its ok :), not going for lines, tumbles, slices, flicks etc.

One missing feather does not usually affect the speed to an extreme (you can also still adjust it by tipping), but it makes the flight wobbly, so of course its not a "good" shuttle.. but it has to be severly broke to even come close in Mavis crapiness :)

/Twobeer

20. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    By fostering of wrong technique by plastics, you people do mean that plastics are far more forgiving when you strike the skirt; on a feather, accidently hitting the feathers with a power stroke will soak up all the force, break feathers, and cause your stroke to screw up. Hitting a plastic on the skirt will still get you lots of power...