NOT learning to scoop up shuttles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by axl886, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Ever since I finished university, I don't think I've played badminton in a court without the floor mats.

I never really paid attention to it, but are you sure that scooping up a birdie with the racket even on a floor mat will not scratch the frame?

2. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    depending on whether u r a begunner, int or pro scoop'er

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Video or it didn't happen!

4. phili

phili Regular Member

Even if you didn't learn it, one should have enough feeling in is hand to easily do it. Even catching the shuttle should come relatively easy for an experienced player without ever practicing it.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Shows how much older I am compared to you. :p Before RichPro and Clear1 opened years ago, all of us had to play at school gyms and community centres with varying degrees of dirt and particles that scratched our rackets like sandpaper. Now we are spoiled, I refuse to play on anything else but mats. :)

Mats won't scratch at all if you don't scrape too hard while scooping the bird.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Hehe... not me, I don't know how to do this. :) There's a video on YouTube of some Chinese singles pro player, LD or CJ(?), doing this during training. I'll try to look for it.

7. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

8. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

lol! I don't think I'm that young...When I first started playing about 20/21 years ago, there was no ClearOne. I learned the game playing in those multi-use gyms. I was aware of ClearOne by the time I got into high school. I stopped playing the game after I finished university as I went travelling around the world (a long story for another day). I stopped playing for about 4 years and as soon as I got back, all of these dedicated facilities started popping up.

9. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

...agree.

BTW I was once told by a coach that (having scooped up the shuttle) you should always return it to your opponent OVER the net, and not hit it along the floor or pass it under the net as many do. Anyone else ever been instructed to do this? I don't see this very often here in the UK.

Tx,

smautf

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

it is polite and friendly to pick up the shuttle and gently return it to the opponent over the net. i always do that in training/with friends and players i like. in general i do it in competition-play, too. as soon as the opponent starts to be unfriendly/unfair/arrogant/whatever, i flick the shuttle on the floor under the net. this certainly belongs in the categorie "mindgames". in professional play, it is very common...

11. i800Yoty

i800Yoty Regular Member

If i'm playing with a new double's partner or someone older than me I tend to flick the shuttle into my hand and pass the shuttle by hand. I've seen professional players leave the shuttle at the net for the opponent to pick it up even if they're closer.

12. |_Footwork_|

professional play is a totally different story!

if you play a dropshot into the net and the pro already stands there, he will not pick up the shuttle, but let you come to the net and flick it over to his side. that's how professionals do it. but again: that's little mental games these guys play, in amateur-badminton it is common to give your opponent the shuttle in a friendly manner and i usually pick up the shuttle at the net when i'm standing closer...

13. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Zhao Jian Hua talked about this in one of his videos with Xiao Jie.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

That's good social etiquette...
    Do unto others as you would unto you.
    (ie. The Golden Rule).

15. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I've been told: if you hit the shuttle into the net, then it's your job to pick it up (not just for professionals).

16. |_Footwork_|

of course it is your job!

but if my opponent hits into the net and i already stand there, i just take the shuttle so that he doesn't have to walk to the front and give it to me. that's just friendly behaviour.

if the competition gets harder, you let the opponent do his job and give you the shuttle. pros always do that!

17. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

u guys must be kidding right? there's no way i'll be using my rackets to scoop shuttles on concrete or wooden floors. it's a neat trick, but be sure to try it on rubber mats first. Especiallly if you are a beginner.

18. |_Footwork_|

why that? i don't get it...

19. phili

phili Regular Member

My racket has hardly any contact with the floor when picking up the shuttle. You don't need to ram your racket into the ground.

20. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Just knowing i might scratch the rackets i purchased from hard earned money, keeps me from scooping shuttles from rough surfaces. :eek:
    Besides, it won't improve your net play by that much. Rather, practices and games will do that for you. As for clashes, it's unavoidable in badminton doubles, so i don't sweat on it.
    Yeah. I know how to scoop shuttles. Even using backhands. I just don't practise it on rough surfaces. Too preciousssss.