LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    AlanY is right...

3.2.10 In each event where the host Member Association does not have a player or pair eligible via the BWF ranking list, they shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. The host Member Association shall inform BWF its intention of nominating wild card entries as stated in the date lines in Annexure I.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=422679&dl=1

2. weiping_tx

weiping_tx Regular Member

researcher
  3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This would be incorrect IMO. The host country can nominate a wildcard and it must be accepted. BWF can also choose to nominate, or not, a wildcard and this has no connection with the host country's prerogative to use it's wildcard as long as they don't exceed the 4-player quota.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You may be inclined to follow (1) but it's not in the current rules and which sports still do this (and what examples did you have in mind when you made your original comment)?
    Increasingly less it seems (in individual sports I can't even think of one off the top of my head, with WC tournaments, and in team sports, not even in football is it still that way. Do the defending NBA champs get a free pass to the playoffs?) ...

#144 demolidor, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Very confusing...

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Probably because it's incorrect :D (it would be impossible according to the rules; they more likely strongly suggested BWF issue a wildcard?)

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Since the date was 30 April, maybe CBA and LYB wanted to nominate LD as per 3.2.10.

Now I understand why Thomas Lund said BWF will not break the rules for one man.

But it's still a great mystery as to why BWF now unanimously grant LD the wild card.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As I've already explained it here before http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...s-Pairs-for-20th-BWF-World-Championships-2013

Here are the regulations for the World Championships http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=422679&tid=1

Wild cards
    3.2.10 In each event where the host Member Association
    does not have a player or pair eligible via the BWF ranking list, they shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. The host Member Association shall inform BWF its intention of nominating wild card entries as
    stated in the date lines in Annexure I -- according to this rule, CBA cannot do so as they already have eligible player(s).

3.2.14 In each event the BWF shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. This wild card entry will be selected by the Committee of Management. BWF shall publish its intention of nominating wild card entries as stated in the date lines in Annexure I. -- that means only BWF can do so based on this rule subject to maximum 4 entries in each event for a given member association.

In other words, CBA did make the request to BWF but was originally turned down by Thomas Lund, the COO, but later the BWF COM voted unanimously for the wild card to be awarded to Lin Dan.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    So CBA did make an application to BWF for a 3.2.10 wild card on April 30? or was it 3.2.14 wild card?

#149 pcll99, May 14, 2013
  10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Please read the Wild Card section in its entirety.

Wild cards
    3.2.10 In each event where the host Member Association does not have a player or pair eligible via the BWF ranking list, they shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. The host Member Association shall inform BWF its intention of nominating wild card entries as stated in the date lines in Annexure I.
    (remark: this is distinct and NOT CONNECTED with BWF's wildcard option.)

3.2.11 Such nominations must be communicated to the BWF as stated in the date lines in Annexure I.
    (remark: COMMUNICATED. BWF HAS TO ACCEPT the host BA's wildcard entry if it complies with other regulations.)

3.2.12 In the event that the host Member Association nominates a wild card entry , the nominated player / pair need not be on the world ranking list.

3.2.13 The host Member Association is not required to exercise its right to nominate a wild card entry in any or all events.

3.2.14 In each event the BWF shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. This wild card entry will be selected by the Committee of Management. BWF shall publish its intention of nominating wild card entries as stated in the date lines in Annexure I.

3.2.15 Such a nomination must be made as stated in the date lines in Annexure I.

3.2.16 The BWF is not required to exercise its right to nominate a wild card entry in any or all events.

3.2.17 Any wild card entry must not cause the maximum of four entries in each event for a given Member Association to be exceeded, and wild card entries must have the approval of the Member Association of the player / pair concerned.
    (remark: Read in conjunction with 3.2.10 and you will clearly see that the Host BA can nominate a wildcard who is not eligible by ranking even if the Host BA has other players who automatically qualify, as long as the total does not exceed four entries per event.)

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Doesn't matter as CBA cannot do so under 3.2.10 and only BWF has the prerogative to do so under 3.2.14.

So my understanding is when Thomas Lund previously rejected CBA he is referring to rule 3.2.10 which doesn't allow CBA to do so but BWF retains the prerogative under rule 3.2.14 and it's a question of whether BWF wants to or not, which as we now know, they did in the end. The onus is on BWF and the decision is solely theirs to make. Thankfully, they made the right choice.

12. weiping_tx

researcher
    The news should be quite reliable because similar news was published on several different newspapers. According the BWF rules describe by Justin L and pcl99, BWF is eligible to do what they have done.

#152 weiping_tx, May 14, 2013
  13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Where was XXZ in 2005 WC in Anaheim?...he was champ in 2003 and would have been the defending champ in Anaheim.

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Should invite Zhang Ning to 2016 Brazil to defend her Olympics title as well

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Invitations are to be sent to current title-holders

IMHO, invitations are to be sent to current title-holders.

But their National Associations could say no, because their title-holders didn't perform well at their association's selection trial.

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    XXZ was not in WC05 because he was ranked behind LD, BCL and CH as the 4th person out, BWF limit was 3.

17. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

18. weiping_tx

researcher
    In 2007 World Championship hold in Malaysia, Malaysia sent 3 MS players based on ranking and the fourth with the wild card.

19. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Interesting! who won that year, Lin Dan?

This year, WC held in china with same condition, 3 MS players qualified based on ranking and 1 player with wild card? will we have a winner from another country, just like 2007 WC?

20. weiping_tx

researcher
    Lin Dan won that year.

There is some difference there. In 2007 Malaysia gave the wild card to Roslin Hashim, but this year CBA's wild card application for Lin Dan was turned down and later BWF COM issued one for Lin Dan.