Super series in 2011

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 19, 2010.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Been told that India wanted to host Premier also but since they have not hosted any SS..they have to host super series before going to Premier,..so in 2014, India may bid to host Premier and the prize money for 2011 ( super series) will be US$ 500K, higher than CHN, AE or DEnmark's premier SS

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That's why it's called a "wish"!!..

..my opinion is: of course, for a prize-money-based tourney, it's the role and responsibility of the local host/organizer/national body to provide the sponsorship. Also, i've noticed in most of the SS tourneys, the main sponsor(s) tend to come from a product based entity (Djarum, Yonex, Li-Ning); except Aviva (insurance co.)..
    I'm not sure abt Russia or Aussie, but in the U.S., i think there are enough entities who can sponsor a SS level event. Just take a peek at the recently concluded BABCA involving all the top Silicon Valley companies. I'm sure those companies could team up and put together a $250k prize money sponsorship. The 1 million dollar question however is, from who?..:confused:
    ..but that's Krisna's wish...:cool:

my own wish is a bit different...and it involves BWF's role:
    Rather than hoping to get a SS/Premier SS or prize money based type tourney in the U.S., or Russia or Aussie, BWF could invest and sponsor a non-prize money events (e.g. T&UC, WC, SC or even the WJC) in nations or countries which don't have the full interest but just have enough interest in baddy. Those countries can host one of those events every 3 yrs or so..
    What BWF could do is use its money from the savings (i know they don't have much, but i'm sure they get some) and offer to sponsor to host those non-prize-money based events. Let the countries bid to host it and BWF could select which country is able. Countries like U.S. or Canada, which has enough baddy interest could definitely host it, as seen from the 2005 WC in Anaheim (i'm sensing OTB is gonna come in & chime in again on his experience:p)..

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am sure in 2014, the prize money will have increased in at least one of those three tournaments. It is also possible that the prize money in Korea and Indonesia will have decreased.

4. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I do not think KOR will drcrease..
    For INA Open:
    2011: US$ 600 K
    2012: US$ 650K
    2013: US$ 700K
    I do not see INA will decrease the prize money...

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That raises a very good point. Do we want to remove established and popular venues from the calendar? What is the risk?
    The risk is losing that venue's interest in the sport, and dare I say, losing sponsors. OK, perhaps HK and S'pore are small places so the impact of loss may only be 'small'. But, those sponsors are established and regular and forms a strong base where other sponsors have a desire to be. What if we try to give SS status to US, Canada, Australia etc? Is the likelihood of gathering greater interest in the sport and attracting sponsorship high? So high that the risk of alienating a small but core base of sponsors in HK and S'pore is acceptable?

If we look at Swiss Open as an example, it is a tournament that has been run many years. It got SS status. Have we got any data that the SS status has improved the status of badminton in Switzerland?

Next will be France. We have had a World Championship there and SS tournaments. We will need a couple of years to confirm wether the strategy really has opened up grass roots interest and increased popularity.

What I am really saying is do not assume giving a SS status to a certain country will automatically get you the sponsors and fill stadiums.

#105 Cheung, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

3 years is a long time:) but it is possible (though may not be likely).

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..France has never hosted a WC event before but will do so in a few months..As far as i can recall, the WC event is the only major BWF event which has covered the most countries in its short history (14 different countries incl. France this yr)..

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks for correcting my faux pas:p I do wonder if France can maintain its momentum after a certain photogenic ladies singles player has retired:)

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Korea may have a $1.5M in the next 1012 Premier SS..

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hm..I think KOR will have US$ 1.2 for next 3 yrs....not US$ 1.5

11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hehehe, please do not just give case studies... PROVE IT for badminton, please... :p Starting INA Open 2010, INA will give badminton a marketing blast during this annual event. I will share the photos later... :) As for HK, please do not just say they wanna do something, prove it, baby... ;) Let's see if HK can realize what they've learned in the case studies ........starting in HK Open 2010! :)

Better do it soon, otherwise, come 2013, BWF will vote again whether to retain HK Open as a Super Series... :D This year HK was already in the 'endangered' list... By 2013, if USA, Russia, and Australia have significantly improved, I say HK Open shall be a Gold GP event...

#111 Krisna, May 25, 2010
  12. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Who are you refering to :D ?

13. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    lol..... there... that one.... name starting with the letter 'P'..... :D:D

my favourite....

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I'd say things are definitely on the up in Switzerland. New halls are opening left and right it seems (like a brand new Yonex hall in Zurich http://www.badmintonhalle.ch/typo3temp/pics/83e0010931.jpg http://www.badmintonhalle.ch/typo3temp/pics/de5a959dbb.jpg). A lot more going on there than here in Netherladns for example eventhough the level is still lower. I think it's a ridiculous decision to cut them out after putting up the prize money for several years when not even Germany (with a population ten times larger) could do so or was willing to but I guess they'd like to say "we have SS in Paris same as Roland Garros" :rolleyes: (perhaps SO should've moved to Zurich or more central Bern to attract spectators from every corner).
    A positive spin I'm reading is that there are less restrictions for an non SS event in terms of promoting the event and they are determined to make it the best GP Gold there is with possibly still $200,000 in prizemoney. In the end it's only a label and on the calendar it's probably still before or after AE so will it really a make a big difference?

#114 demolidor, May 25, 2010
  15. sen

sen Regular Member

I think Swiss need to consider providing affordable accomodation during the tournament for the players and spectators outside the region. That's the problem with Swiss.

It is not just giving more money for the winners.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The case study is merely to illustrate the point. S'pore has the Formula One Grand Prix - unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from that event:) Perhaps Hau-ge can tell us why HK still kept its SS status?:) (especially as HK doesn't have much political clout)

I look forward to the Indonesia Open. Do they serve beer as well?:D

What are your thoughts on the risk:benefit assessment?

Thanks for giving more insight on the Switzerland situation.

To be honest, do we really need to cut SS status if an event can generate enough sponsorship? I am sure a player will not be able to attend all the SS events in one year.

#116 Cheung, May 25, 2010
  17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    What risk:benefit assessment? Of what?

In Indonesia, no beer... We're a country where 85%+ of the population are muslims. Alcohol is considered not kosher by them... I don't drink alcohol either out of sheer habit (because most of my society do not consume alcohol either)... Alcohol advertisements are also banned in Indonesia...

If you're coming to Indonesia Open, please feel free to contact me via PM...

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Oh, detailed in post #105. But it doesn't really matter:)

Hope to see you in HK in a new venue. QE stadium is intimate atmosphere but not big enough.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton's All England Championships set to break $1m Super Series barrier

TELEGRAPH.CO.UK
    Published: 7:00AM BST 26 May 2010

The All England Championships, badminton's oldest tournament, will break $1 million in prize money over the next three years after being awarded top-tier status in a revamped Super Series.

By Rod Gilmour

From next season, the All England will join the Korea Open, Indonesia Open, Denmark Open and China Open as one of five events comprising badminton's new Premier Series, effectively the first tennis-style grand slam. There will be seven other second-tier Super Series events and total prize money for the year for the 12 events will rise to $4.7 million.

Adrian Christy, Badminton England's chief executive, told The Daily Telegraph: "Having five focused events, this will be the equivalent of the Majors. It is definitely a step in the right direction and time that the top players were rewarded.

The Super Series format was introduced in 2007 but after a review at the end of last year, the Badminton World Federation decided to introduce a two-tier system from 2011.

Over the next three years, All England's prize purse will amount to $1.1 million and Christy believes that the new format will benefit both the sport in the UK and the Super Series' global status.

He said: "I don't think the Super Series went stale, it was just a tour without any focal events during the course of the year other than the finals at the end of the 12 months.

"The All England in 2012 will be part of the Olympic qualification process. It will be a real shop window for talent. Having three world-class events leading up to 2012 [two All Englands and the World Championships in 2011], I am not sure too many sports can say that."

Lee Chong Wei won this year's All England Championships in Birmingham, bringing China's domination to an end.

(BTW I also don't know why the BWF was so generous to tiny Singapore for retaining its SS status. :rolleyes: With almost its 'first team' prematurely retired and none of its present batch having attained notable world ranking status, Singapore Badminton has experienced a rather bad patch for the past year. It is a slow road to regaining its former 'glory'.

On the other hand, surely size is not everything. If it were, then India should have gained a place in the Premier league, displacing perhaps Denmark which has a population not very much larger than Singapore's. :D:D:D)

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Or INA should fire itself to allow the less popular countries take its place since badminton is already so popular there and does not require additional publicity.