li ning grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by siaoxing, Aug 24, 2012.

1. siaoxing

siaoxing Regular Member

hi,

anyone know where i can buy li ning's original grommets?

2. nivla76

nivla76 Regular Member

Hi, I have the red and silver grommets, if you are in Singapore I can pass some to you at no charge.

3. siaoxing

siaoxing Regular Member

hi, thanks for your kind gestures.

i do have some of it too. however i would like to check if it available for sales just like yonex grommets

4. nivla76

nivla76 Regular Member

Hi,

You may have to check with the flagship store as most of the time the extra grommets would come together with the purchase of a racket.

5. siaoxing

siaoxing Regular Member

had check with the store, they do not sell the grommet like yonex (Complete grommets for each racquet) does. only available in small pieces

6. nivla76

nivla76 Regular Member

PM me which particular grommet & colour you need, i'll try to get it from my source.

7. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    You should have gotten an extra set with the racquet in the cover. But honestly, Li-Ning grommets crack and break a lot faster than Yonex ones. Just get some black Yonex ones

#7 AZbadman, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. siaoxing

siaoxing Regular Member

i do have some extra piece and no in the rush of getting it yet. im just foresee that i might need to replace all the grommets in the future.

9. siaoxing

siaoxing Regular Member

hi.. i dont think it an extra set of grommets. it only come with a few pieces of grommets and not grommets for the whole racquets

10. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

Just wondering if anyone has used the Yonex U-shaped grommets and the grommet strips on any of the Li-Ning racquets and do they fit?

11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Yes they fit. If you want to use the beefed up strips, the At700 ones will work, but it needs AT900P thick U to fit that hole :)

[​IMG]

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Grommets come in different sizes, diameters and shapes and no one size fits all.
    Also, many seem to assume that broken or worn grommets are due to poor material or quality. This is not true. Torn, shredded, or worn grommets are always due to the awl. The awl should never be used if you want a quality stringing job. However, stringers have to make a living based on volume and the use of the awl speed up the stringing process.
    The ideal grommets must have two important characteristics. The first is that every grommet must be a tight fit for all the drilled holes as loose grommets will lose transmission power and crispness. The second is that grommets must be a very tight fit for the both ends of each and every string, both cross and straight. This is to ensure a tighter string bed with more bite instead of "playing the game with shorts that tend to fall off".

13. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks for sharing. Do you know if strips from AT700 and U-grommets from AT900P will also fit to Li-Ning N55?
    (It seems you have N90 from the old batch with black grommets . I have a N55 with red grommets, very probably a new batch.)

#13 Accordaz, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I do not agree. I've been working on and seen a lot of LN rackets (low to top notch models), and most of the splitted gromments, are actually the single gromments at 12, 3 and 9 o'clock position, which do NOT require share 2 strings, therefore, no way anyone will use awl.

The only conclusion I can make is, the gromments are poorly made.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You probably have not seen enough of how professional stringers string badminton rackets commercially, where the awl is used. They use the awl to widen the diameter of grommets that are too narrow for some strings which often happens with single pass grommets.
    Li Ning single pass grommets are precision made unlike other more general types. They are especially tight and narrow to minimize loss of stringbed tautness, as loose and 'floppy' grommets, especially in single pass grommets, will lose crispness and power.
    Here is one way you can gauge how well made a racket frame is made and that is by the 'size' of empty spaces in all the grommets after stringing. If single pass grommets leave visible empty spaces after stringing then the grommet holes and/or grommets will lead to loss of power and stringbed crispness.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I surely do not have enough experience with how commercial stringers doing their job, but my point is, for single pass gromment, there's no need to use awl. I assume if a part time stringer like me have no problem to fit string through single pass gromment, why any pros need to use awl to widen the diameter. In addition, I have 4 LN rackets myself, and I do not use awl for any of them. However, a good amount of single pass gromments splitted right after a short period of usage (2-3 months). Therefore, I do not agree with your intial assessment regarding the gromments being damaged due to awl usage. I think it definitely has something to do with the material quality of the gromments.

However, I do agree that LN's single pass gromment is more tightly fit when compare to many others, including Yonex. Many times, I do not have the exact LN replacement gromments, so I have to settel with HQ or Yonex instead. Surely they are not perfectly fit when compare to LN, however, they both tend to last much longer. Also, the feeling (rubbing with nail) tells me the HQ/Yonex material tend to be softer when compare to LN. Therefore, I assume LN do not have to give up its sizing, but if they are can a bit more softer/flexible material, their gromments should last a bit longer, while maintain high level playability.

#16 LazyBuddy, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Actually I string many Li Ning rackets for a group of players, most of them high end rackets. I have not had a single broken or worn single pass grommets with any of their rackets. So perhaps your experience is unique among stringers who do not use the awl for any reason. FYI, many stringers use the awl to either widen or poke or even pull the string, which does affect the grommets.
    But, let me remind you and other stringers that grommets should be stiff, tight and also very hard. Soft grommets absorb energy (rob) of the tensioned strings, which is like cars having soft springs/tires. Try to drive through a bend with soft tires/springs and you will have a huge body roll. This is a huge loss of energy. You do not want to absorb any energy from the stringbed when a shuttle is hit because this will only lose power and crispness. It is similar to having very loose and ill-fitting grommets.

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I notice the wood 90 can be loose for some. ;)

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This sounds strange. I have observed about 20-30 LN rackets here (mostly purchased in US, with a few exceptions), and everyone more or less has splitted gromments. 60% of rackets are mid range models, but 40% or so are higher end, including N33, N90, N90II, etc.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Frankly, I don't know why the difference. Perhaps it is the stringers. This is not unusual as I do see many split grommets on rackets of all brands that have been strung by stores and other stringers. Anyway split grommets are no different from loose grommets as both lose power during play and lose tension at rest.