Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER

CTF/LWW is a good example on how a broken relationship repaired and better results been produced.

2. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

I don't really thinks this pair is not performing, it just that their opponents is exploiting their weakness. Their opponents are just more aware how they played, and when their opponents keep returning their shots this makes them nervous and started to making mistakes.

3. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    the debate will be endless.

on one side, the naysayers. nobody is denying that what some of you are saying are right in some way or another. nobody agrees with non committed display of the players. nobody agrees with their forays (be it forced or voluntarily) into political campaigns. and easy as it seems for you guys to beat a man while he is down, he is after all human. he might be doomed to never be the kind of champion we would want him to be but believe me that he will be the one that stands to lose the most if that happens. you and i and all the other fans of badminton will simply move on to other new prospects and other new champions. what harm does it do to us fans except disappointment and regret that one more hope in the sports arena have come to naught.

even if we put up the one million, and as some suggested, datukship and all that, they will not get it if they lose. so what is the harm? if they win, should they not receive anything? lest they start to rot like hafiz did. if that is the case, why dont we not spent a dime in sports at all. we have not shown any good results in sports, except maybe nicol david who are constantly winning. stop spending money on sports. save the taxpayers' money. but sport is a source of pride. a source of a common interest and shared by all countrymen.

even football in malaysia still have fans. even though we are clearly nowhere near our days when mokhtar dahari and santokh singh and the others were around. why? because as fans some of us still hopes for the return of glory. will football win anything? heck no. i can say it myself. very very unlikely. are the fans who still support the football team dumb? that's very harsh and uncalled for. we all know it is not the players that is not performing per se but a combination of bad foundation, bad management, bad commitment and others. we all get that wood chuck. we all get the fact that not everthing is right and most probably everything will go wrong. but is it so wrong to support your local players even when the chips are down. are all the fans of all the losing sports team in the world dumb? are those supporting teams in the lower tier leagues dumb? even lower tiered teams can beat the best as shown in FA cup and many other sports.

it is easy to support the champion. lin dan is a champion and the china team is the best in producing champions. it is not that easy to support players who manage to disappoint you at every turn. and they have shown that they could compete with the best which is worse because you start to expect them to win all the time. foolish as it may be, some people still have hope. unlikely as it may be, they could still make it through. it is not 100% that they will never bounce back. and if there's a chance, even if it is 0.00000001%, some of us would like to take it. thank you very much :)

i believe this debate will continue. the critics (though right that you might be but harsh nonetheless) will continue to beat the drum of doom. so be it. i will agree to disagree with you. the die hard fans (blind as they may be to the shortcomings of the players they support but dedicated nonetheless) will continue their support. the in betweens (who will not excuse bad commitment but still look for hope in the future, like me :D) will read the two opposing views and agree with some while disagreeing with others. :p

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, the most important thing is about the players..
    it depends on the players whether they will change their attitude or not..:)

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Better results?

If losing steam, crumbling, coming apart at the seams, collapsing, self-destructing and other such disappointing displays of weakness when armed with as many as 4 match-points are what we call 'better results', then I'm in perfect agreement with you.

Although they are perhaps trying their best, for recent examples of how well the 'repaired partnership' of Lee Wan Wah and Choong Tan Fook is performing, please turn to the MD semifinals of the All England Open 2008, the Swiss Open 2008 and the China Open 2007... and the MD finals of the Singapore Open 2007 ;)

In front of the home crowd, they even lost a decider 21-6 at the Malaysia Open 2008.

21-6 :rolleyes:

If reaching some pre-final stage is the best that Malaysia expects of its top shuttlers, then 'repaired partnerships' will do quite alright.

However, if gold or a first place finish is in Malaysia's sights, it will take far more than just simple repair. Without a major attitude adjustment, it'd be exceedingly difficult for Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong to find the rhythm that elevated them professionally.

6. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    i have to agree with this. :)

7. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Fans are free to support whomever they want and whomever they place their hopes on. I don't think anyone is trying to deny anyone that luxury. Thing that concerns some fans is not the fans view on things but the players'.

If the players took the same approach as the fans - ie. compete with only the hope of winning as their main weapon then they're in for a big world of hurt. The critics at least most of them aren't just being negative for the sake of being negative. They're voicing their displeasure over seeing great talent being wasted, great coaching squandered - its not so much the losses but all that potential going by the wayside. I'd argue that the critics are just as passionate and maybe even more so than those who just cling to "hope" because they're seeing a great opportunity here to achieve something no MAS tean has ever achieved -winning the OG gold put in jeopardy not from being defeated by an opposing team but from combined lack of commitment, arrogance, discipline and hard work.

I rather support a lesser team even if they're the underdogs if they exhibited qualities I admire the most in sports - sportsmanship, commitment to the sport, humility, hard work, teamwork, fighting spirit, never say die attitude, professionalism, qualities that are becoming more and more foreign it seem from what I hear of the pairing of KKK/TBH.

Better that than a team fully loaded with talent but are a bunch of primadonnas, uncommitted at all to their craft and to their teammates and coaches. Yes, they're human and will lose more than they win and they're not perfect human beings - noone is. But is it too much to expect from our heroes - the ones representing our country to strive to be the best they can be? KKK it seems is only relying on his god given talent and nothing more and maybe he feels that is enough to be a champion. I'm not saying its impossible. The guy is immensely talented.

So I can become a millionaire if I struck the jackpot in the lottery therefore I buy a ticket every week based on that one hope. But some of us would rather get there thru hard work than rely only on hope. If I have one hope, it is that I hope those atheletes we place so much hope on isn't relying only on hope to get them by.

At first I thought it was just rampant fan obsession but I think why most ppl haven't given up hope on KKK/TBH is because they're still MAS best chance for a MD gold medal however slim that chance may be thus they're willing to overlook their not-so-admirable qualities. In one way it reflects how desperate things have become. I wish there was another MS besides LCW who can be a legitimate gold contender so he wouldn't have to shoulder the entire burden of an entire nation. I wish also that there was another young rising top ranked MD team besides KKK/TBH but there isn't. So in some way I can understand why ppl are putting all their eggs in the KKK/TBH basket.

ps..sorry for the overlong post >.< damn I tend to ramble alot..

8. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    yeah, but some are mostly putting down the so called malaysia boleh fans. so i assume that they were targeting the fans and not just the players. to those who commented on the shortcomings of the players, they can see that even some fans are agreeing with what was being said. :) who is denying the bad performance of KKK/TBH? who is saying that they are not doing anything wrong? read again some of the postings and you can see that it is berating the fans who are dumb enough to still support the players that are losing. are they really just commenting on the players' attitude and bad performance?

i agree that the players should not rely on hope to make it but must rely on hard work and commitment. i agree that having bad attitude will be their downfall. i do believe the critics are passionate too. but calling fans who still support losing team as dumb are nowhere near criticising the players' attitude.

i would too. underdogs who have immense fighting spirit always makes me wanna support them. :D and yes, KKK/TBH are having trouble with all the qualities you mentioned. but i would like to see them try and turn that around and be the players we want them to be.

that is not too much to expect from our players who represent our country. we as a fan can demand that they do the best that they can. relying on talent alone will only take you so far. as someone have mentioned taufik as an example. i think it was oldhand. that talent alone without all out hardwork saw taufik not competing for the highest honours on a regular basis as lin dan is.

i hope so too...:D:D:D:D

only a small number is overlooking the shrtcomings. most fans can see it as it is. it is just that they decided to continue supporting. and decided to not lose hope. i have to fully agree with you that if we have more than one outstanding MS and more than one outstanding MD, we would not see this kind situation. which malaysian wouldn't want more than one serious contender? do i want other players who could win like LCW and KKK/TBH did? of course! do i want to see the juniors improve and be at the same level as the top players in the world. absolutely! do we have that option now? i guess not. :(

i tend to ramble a lot too. :);)

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The other paragraphs, Aza already replied.

LOL, that's interesting, the "rampant obsession" is only seen here, in real life, nope - he he, I'm risking being flamed yet again since some still think the bulk of Msia fans are "blind supporters" category.
    I've said many times before, in real life, 80% Msian fans are in the "critics" category, in the sense of "Msia want to win ah, no hope wan lah".
    And there are those, like Aza said, who think the remaining fans who are still supporting are downright dumbos, who dont see the facts, having blinders, sreamers etc,etc.

There's another spectrum where non Msians said why Msians are so critical & negative, and lump all fans to be in the critics category.

Of course we know their shortcomings, :D, how can we not, when it's plastered all over the media so often. The rest of it already posted bf.

#289 eaglehelang, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

My dear,

Since you are on my favourite sport and something which I had some asssociation with some years back i.e. FAM, let me tell you football in Malaysia is beyond dire straits. Dont believe me, go watch a game this Sat. You will find just a handful of fans in a stadium built for 50,000. It is even worse if you venture to Shah Alam stadium and watch Selangor. You will find at most 2,000 fans in a stadium meant to accomodate 80,000!! And half of those fans are on free passes! :(

Why is our football in the shitter for over 25 years?? It is because from top (management) to the players, we are ignoring the basics of the game. We have idiots and opportunists who have made FAM their own playground. Instead of putting the cash from sponsors back into the game, they are lining their own pockets. Thus till today, we still have some teams not able to pay their players' salaries on time or at all. These people are parasites and they are bleeding the game dry. And a culture of nepotism and favoritism are ingrained into our game. And it is no wonder we are churning out half cooked players who are found out big time in any international tournaments, the recent ones being the Asia Cup 2007. We are no longer selecting players based on merit.

This is what Malaysia Boleh is about.

11. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    i agree with what you said on football and the bad management pemuda. frankly everybody can see that. do we have bad parasites infesting our sports? yes, i believe we do. and i hate it that we are not selecting players based on merit and not unearthing and nurturing enough talents that could raise our sports standing in the world. but being supportive of the players that are capable of winning is about what a fan is to the player/team that he supports. i believe you could understand that. liverpool have not been winning EPL lately, but nobody have ever said liverpool will never win it again. because they have the players that could win it. even amidst the politics and american intervention, no liverpool fans will stop supporting liverpool right? so it is with supporting malaysian team. the players will come and go but we keep supporting the team. more so when we have players capable of winning and challenging the top players even if they are inconsistent. as with any team, you win some, you lose some. i know it is easy to feel frustrated at the sheer stupidity of how they are running our sports body but if we dont support our home team, who will? i never denied china players are very very good. indonesian and korean players too. but supporting malaysian team is what i do. and some others would like to support them too. :)

#291 azabaz_ipoh, Mar 21, 2008
  12. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    Today Rexy wil decide whether they stil wil compete in OG o their names wil cancel fr the list..Anyone knows the Rexy's decision??:rolleyes:

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    If Rexy decide not to let KKK/TBH go, then might be a very good news for the others pairs including MK/HS......

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dont get me wrong, I support our fellow sportsmen/women who put in an honest effort. Even if they dont win anything, I will support them 100% as long as they are honest and gave their all when they put on national colours. For example, in badminton, Wong Mew Choo, you dont find her winning regularly, but to me she is top class because she is a honest professional. The same goes for Wong Choon Hann, Foo Kok Keong. I have a big problem when it comes to sportsmen/women who adopt a big time Charlie attitude as they think they are bigger than the game. And I have an even bigger problem with those leeches that are infesting all our sports associations.

Sorry I just cannot simply support our sportsmen/women who dont pull their weight just because they are Malaysians. To me, I feel when one put on our national colours it is no laughing matter.

When I was playing football some years back (and I must admit I am no Maradona etc), I always admire the Korean players. Even in junior level tournaments, they will take to the field and play as if their lives depends on it. They will fight and chase for every single ball. As for us, I must admit it sickens me to see my fellow teamates more interested in sending SMSes to their girlfriends, shopping (if we are playing abroad) etc. We are always trounced by the Koreans. Thats the difference when it comes to mentalities.

15. Felicia_txh

Student
    And it might be a bad news for all Malaysian..:(

Nowadys,in sport,the authority can manipulate the result n the game especially football...Malaysia football oso same..:(Money is the root of all evil...

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Not yet, Rexy, KKK/TBH have to meet NSC DIirector & BAM President 1st, the reporters also anticipate it wouldnt be so fast. Yap Kim Hock said there's still time, the final list of players for OG are to be submitted in July.

Tomm you can read the newspapers & see if part 3 of this drama has started.:)

17. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Hmm...Today chinese newspaper sinchew already reported that Rexy decide to give Koo/Tan one more chance and observe them for the coming two tournaments which is the Grand Prix Final and the ABC..Rexy hope KKK can change himself and prove himself.He had a heart to heart talk to KKK on Thursday and they already sort out the misunderstanding.Rexy will decide who going to Olympic after the ABC.:rolleyes::rolleyes:Should i post the news here???Anyone can translate it???

18. Felicia_txh

Student
    Thx..because a local chinese newspaper stated Rexy wil decide it today..I hope Rexy wil give them one more chance..:eek:

#298 Felicia_txh, Mar 21, 2008
  19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dont worry, Malaysia will give them more than one more chance.

20. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    it's 2 chances pemuda, u r correct!