Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hello??? Earth to chris-ccc! Calling chris-ccc! :D:D
    Here is a snip from that quoted report you replied to: (originally posted by eaglehelang)

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    After mas open then misbun will contact nazmi

He put up the sign " don't disturb, genius at work... " during the mas open :D

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Coach Misbun will NOT be in Seoul with LCW... so how? LOL

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Some pics taken of Misbun and LCW during the MO semis when LCW completely outplayed Chen Long in straights games, allowing the latter to score only 9 embarrassing points in both. CL was unlucky to face the Datuk in such great form.

Misbun wore a refreshing black, blue and white check shirt with a BAM coach (sorry don't know his name?) sitting beside him at LCW's corner. MS seemed relaxed and looked very much a respected and dignified Datuk with his imposing height and greying goatee. :) And he was still hard at work carrying his customary tiny note pad in his hands and presumably jotting down notes to pass on to LCW later. It was of course unnecessary as LCW's opposition was more 'a stroll in the park' than a battle.;)

Even though MS was officially out of BAM and would not be paid, I'm sure LCW would know how to compensate him. LCW's record MO title is already half the reward to MS, I think. :D

Attached Files:

#644 Loh, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Loh, the guy in yellow shirt is coach tay seu bok, very low profile guy

and one of the coaches misbun works with in the elite team beside aswan and roslin.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Ya, I think TSB is pretty low profile.

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Misbun informed BAM President that he wanted to focus on helping LCW during MO finals, postponed the meeting till after MO. On Misbun case, the press reported that BAM Council has given the mandate to the President to make final decision, after meeting Misbun .

pbm, isnt Roslin & Aswan assisting Hendrawan ?

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Oopts! Somebody Must Have Lead Out Something!

Wednesday January 26, 2011

Unearth new shuttlers
    Star says

ONCE again, Malaysia’s world number one singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei did not disappoint his fanatical followers at home.

While his teammates wilted one by one, Chong Wei stood solid with an incredible show of form and finesse to nail his seventh Malaysia Open title, crushing veteran Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia 21-8, 21-17 in the final.

The 29-year-old Chong Wei, who was almost booted out from the national camp for indiscipline in his junior days, has indeed made us proud with his single-minded will to excel.

If he continues to show such diligence and determination, he is certain to erase the record of the late Wong Peng Soon as the most successful player in the Malaysia Open series. Peng Soon won the title eight times.

In fact, based on his current form, Chong Wei is the only local player with the potential of ending Malaysia’s elusive chase for a world title and a gold medal at the Olympic Games.

But his dominance has a downside to it.

His reign as the only player to bring glory to the country clearly exposes the lack of talent coming through and the huge gulf between him and the rest in the team.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) is aware of this, but it either does not give two hoots about the lack of talent or is not doing enough to revive the development programmes in the states and clubs.

The national body gives RM30,000 yearly to the states for their development programmes – but pumps in millions into its one and only elite training centre.

For it is the success of the elite shuttlers that brings all the fame and, literally, fortune – with all the sponsors clamouring to jump on the bandwagon.

It is time, however, to reset the focus, resources and time to unearth talent at lower levels and to give the decentralised training programme a chance.

States should be active agents of the BAM in producing players. Sadly, many are just deadwood, contented with the meagre handouts that they receive and the occasional free trips they get for being top officials in the states.

The problem is coming to a head – especially with the recent dispute between BAM and Chong Wei’s coach, Misbun Sidek.

The BAM is counting on the presence of All-England champion Chong Wei to inspire the youngsters in its stable to raise their game. The BAM is also hoping that by sparring with Chong Wei, the youngsters’ game will progress faster.

So, it must have jolted BAM when Chong Wei hinted that he may leave the national body to turn pro during the height of the dispute.

Chong Wei openly backed the coach who had nurtured him, saying he would walk out of the national training centre as a show of loyalty.

Misbun resigned on Dec 31 citing unhappiness over several decisions made by the BAM’s coaching and training committee, including his failed attempt to get his son Ramdan and a few other juniors to spar with Chong Wei.

The BAM is now trying to find ways to retain the services of both Misbun and Chong Wei for the sake of national interest, without having to compromise on its training and coaching structure.

It won’t be easy. Someone will have to give in – big time.

Whatever the outcome, there is a painful lesson for BAM to learn from this episode. It should never have come to a stage where it has to depend on just one player or one coach, or even a small pool of players.

It has happened before. After the golden era of the likes of Tan Aik Huang, Yew Cheng Hoe, Punch Gunalan and Ng Boon Bee, Malaysia went into a spiral when it could not produce worthy successors.

BAM would do well to learn from that folly, and like China, invest on having a broader base of talent at the lower level for a better future.

Somebody must have lead out this to the press :D

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    What Could Have Happened?

The first meeting misbun supposedly to have with the president was during the Malaysian open final on Sunday 23 Jan, 2011.

But because Misbun needed to be by chong wei's side during the final, he wasn't able to meet the president so the bam council meeting went ahead after.

What could have happened?

1/ misbun knew somehow the president was sent just to convey the decision already finalized by the coaching and training committee :confused:;):D

2/ Some problem has cropped up somewhere or at home? Certainly hope it's not his wife who was hospitalized for 2 days more than a week ago. :eek:

3/ Some miscommunication in between? You know these days everybody is using text messages :D

Just a question here,

if misbun compromised to bam ctc and 4 months later down the road,

there isn't any good result among the national elite ms players other than chong wei,

just what will the ctc do? :D some drastic action everyone can guess :D

Is it going to be fair given he has compromised to be in, in the first place?

Naturally, ctc wouldn't sit down there without noise :D

So, what misbun did, staying away is his last resort,

for national interest :D

10. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    Misbun, Do It Your Way!

I am writing to express my support for Misbun Sidek and to encourage him to stand firm in his negotiations with BAM. I read an article on The Star Online sports section about China’s tennis star Li Na who is in the Australian Open finals. That article contained certain sentences which I thought somewhat summed up my feelings about the situation between MS and BAM.

I want to encourage MS to be the maverick that he can be so I will quote the pertinent portions of the article here:

“Unwilling to be shackled by the Chinese sports system, leading to clashes with officialdom and a reputation for being difficult, she’s managed to do it her way and stands on the brink of a historic Grand Slam win”.

I have read that quite a number of committee members at BAM have said that MS was being difficult. I say, good for you, MS, for having the courage to speak your mind even if it rocks the boat. I have never been much of a fan of committees as I think it is often misused as a way for individuals to shirk responsibility for their actions and decisions. These individuals hide behind committees. They declare, “the committee says this, the committee says that, the committee decided on this, the committee decided on that, etc.” to give the committee more legitimacy than it deserves.

I have been following Malaysian and world badminton for several years mainly by reading the Star Online and New Straits Times Online almost on a daily basis. I have seen the juniors emerge champions at the world junior championships and making a splash in international junior tournaments, only to then fade into oblivion after their junior years. BAM has consistently failed to groom the juniors into world-class senior players and must take the major portion of the blame.

The sorry state of Malaysian badminton other than for LCW and to some extent KKK/TBH (and I am hoping for WMC’s revival) speaks volumes about BAM and its system. It is a failure. And we don’t need a committee to tell us that. No one dares to step up and take responsibility and more importantly, to take risks and do things differently than what the committees say should be done. Until of course, MS who resigned last December purportedly because he could not get his choice of whom to train, sparring partners for LCW and permission to coach his son. What all this means is just that MS does not like how things are run and done at BAM.

My opinion is that if you hire a world-class coach, you have to give the coach the resources he asks for to make champions of the ones he coaches. You have to give him free rein to coach by his method. If you are going to stifle him and second-guess him with committee decisions, then why hire such world-class coach in the first place? As long as the coach is producing good results, leave him be. Clearly MS is producing good results as LCW is number one in the world and I am sure MS wants to take LCW higher... by consistently beating Lin Dan, perhaps. But if you saddle a coach with methods and duties which are out of sync with the coach’s method and system, you disrupt the efficacy of the coach.

BAM, you are a failure so why not let MS do things his way with LCW and whomever else he chooses to train, including his son. To those committee members who urged MS to do what is best for the country, who are you to say that what MS wants to do is not in the country’s best interest? What is there to support the committee’s position that what the committee has decided on is in the country’s best interest? Perhaps the committee should be flexible enough to allow maverick MS to have his way for the country’s best interest. After all, isn’t he the coach of the world’s number one ranked men’s singles badminton player? And isn’t LCW, barring injuries, as of today, Malaysia’s best bet for an Olympic gold medal? Since LD is currently LCW’s main nemesis, you are looking at a 50% chance of a gold medal, i.e. either LD or LCW would most likely win the next Olympic gold medal based on today’s conditions. When I say 50%, I am disregarding the favorable head-to-head record LD hold against LCW. That’s a different statistic which I will not get into. I know nothing is for sure, but that is how things stack up now. You just have to continue to build on this, not demolish things.

The committee says it has given the president of BAM the mandate to deal with MS but insist that the training decisions made by the committee cannot and should not be changed for MS. What a “kiasu” attitude. (For non-Malaysians, “kiasu” refers to being afraid of losing face) The training decisions are the crux of the matter! How can you give the mandate to the president and yet say the training decisions are not negotiable??? What is so sacred about your training decisions? Do not maintain your system just for the sake of maintaining your system. The world has seen that your system does not work.

It befuddles me that BAM would hire a coach and then place restrictions on said coach on how to do things, insisting the coach follow the method and system of a committee comprising of persons who appear to be lacking in credentials to be telling world-class coaches what to do and how to do it. I had a good laugh several weeks ago when reading about one committee member who, if I remember correctly, boasted that he participated in and won(?) a second-tier local state badminton tournament in his playing years and therefore, he knew what he was doing in the committee. My god, if I were in the committee and that was the height of my badminton accomplishments, I would hide that fact, definitely not brag about it. I rest my case on the questionable and lack of credentials of the committee members. Yes, there are exceptions, but in my opinion, the exceptions do not legitimize the committee and the decisions the committee made.

I have a feeling that other world-class coaches at BAM such as Rexy Mainaky and Tan Kim Her also feel “crowded” by BAM and its committees but have refrained from speaking out in support of MS because of their circumstances. RM’s continued tenure at BAM was in doubt last year and TKH is a new addition to BAM’s coaching lineup. KKK/TBH have not had a good start this year and judging from their lack-lustre performance at the semi-finals of the Korea open, eyebrows will be raised. I understand if these coaches do not want to rock the sampan.

In sports, as in many things in life and business, I believe that a maverick approach is what separates the good from the exceptional. If MS feels he can create exceptional, then let him have his way. What doe Malaysian badminton have to lose anyway? It is already under-achieving. Other countries have caught up or surpassed Malaysia. Look at South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Denmark and India. After LCW, it looks as if Malaysian badminton will slip further into the abyss. Among other things, MS wants to coach his son Ramdan. Perhaps he feels he can mold Ramdan into a world-class player rather than let Ramdan languish in BAM’s committee-led coaching system. I have read that MS also wants other players under his charge. Why can’t BAM trust his eye for badminton talent? MS clearly has his eye on the future and is looking beyond LCW. He is not in it only for the moment with his golden boy of badminton. MS is the one who really has the country’s best interest at heart. Syabas!

The committee and BAM say it is unfair to the other players if MS gets his choice of players, etc. It is about time all the players at BAM learn that life is not always fair. In fact, it is seldom fair. Grow up and deal with it. If one cannot handle this, how can one be strong enough to take the many challenges of training and playing world-class badminton? And more importantly, what have these other players achieved? Perhaps when they have achieved significant milestones in their badminton careers, they can also make their own requests and rock the sampan. Could it be perhaps this is exactly what BAM is afraid of? That others will start making demands if it succumbs to MS’ demands?

MS, if BAM stands its ground and refuses to work with you on a resolution satisfactory to you and your plans for Malaysian badminton, then unshackle yourself from BAM and go forth to accomplish great things for Malaysian badminton your way! Please do not quit badminton altogether as you indicated you might do. Do not let the folks at BAM paint you as being selfish and not doing what is best for the country. I think they are the ones who do not have the country’s best interests at heart by failing to take risks, being inflexible and above all, for being “kiasu”.

More from the article on Li Na:

“She defied Chinese convention... and employed her husband, Jiang Shan, as coach rather than using those provided by the China Tennis Association”. I think this is kind of like MS wanting to coach his son. He believes he can do more for Ramdan, just as Li Na believed her husband could do more for her. I think that if MS wants to coach his son and if Ramdan wants that too then let them have a go at it.

“But now the trailblazing Li Na is being mentioned in the same breath as China’s basketball star Yao Ming, and has become a flagbearer for the growing sport of tennis in her giant homeland”.
    Good for her. Although Li Na lost to Kim Clijsters in the final, she has accomplished great things in tennis and will accomplish even greater things in the future, and she’s doing it her way!

MS and LCW, good luck to you both. If you both leave BAM but fail to achieve your goals, I will still be proud of you and glad that you dared to do it your way. The timid don’t accomplish great things. Heck, you have both achieved a lot together already and I can see that you both have the fire in you to accomplish even more.

Dare to be different, be daring, be a maverick and strive to be even more than exceptional. Do not allow yourselves to be saddled down by committees, especially those that comprise of persons who are not renowned in your field, and who probably got into the committees because of political connections.

Misbun, do it your way...
    Because you BOLEH!

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Well, mafan what a long post:)

You got only 6 posts in your bank,

must be saving a long time to post :D

Anyway, that was a great post and I will put a link to misbun's facebook account :D

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Monday January 31, 2011

Misbun expects a positive outcome after meeting Nadzmi

KUALA LUMPUR: When Lee Chong Wei arrives home from Seoul today, he will be greeted with positive news on the return of his coach and mentor, Misbun Sidek (pic).

Misbun has come out a happy man after a meeting with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president, Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, on Wednesday.

And yesterday, the 51-yer-old Misbun, who dropped a bombshell by sending in his resignation letter on Dec 31, said that Nadzmi showed great understanding throughout their discussion.

And he is reconsidering his decision to quit and is looking forward to coaching Chong Wei in his preparation towards the 2012 London Olympics.

“I have met the president. And I respect his opinion and input. He also listened to what I had to say. And I am happy with his positive approach,” said Misbun.

“I am happy that he has given me some time to digest all that he has said.

“I will reconsider my decision and will probably get in touch with the BAM again after the Chinese New Year.”

Nadzmi said that he had asked Misbun to put forward his requests in detail to high performance director Datuk James Selvaraj and coaching and training chairman Ng Chin Chai.

“Misbun was very honest and we decided that we wanted to put national interest first.

“There is no denying that Chong Wei is a rare breed and he is our great hope in the Olympic,” said Nadzmi.

“I told Misbun that we cannot change the structure and he has no problem with that.

All he wants is that the best is given to him in his efforts to prepare the players for the Olympics. The BAM can certainly do this for him.

“I have asked him to present details of his request to his good friend, James, and the others in the BAM.

“I am happy with the positive outcome of the meeting.”

With a win-win situation reached, it will mark an end to more than a month of uncertainty and a messy situation that followed Misbun’s decision to quit the BAM.

He quit because he was unhappy over some decisions made by the coaching and training committee, including rejecting his request to get his son, Ramdan, and few other juniors as sparring partners for Chong Wei.

And Chong Wei made known his intention to follow his coach and turn professional if the BAM was unable to make Misbun change his mind.

The BAM exco decided to ask Misbun to reconsider his decision but some of the coaching and training committee members said that they would resign if the BAM changed their training structure just to accommodate Misbun’s return.

Finally, the mandate was given to Nadzmi to make a decision and strike a compromise with Misbun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I hope I am not too early to say this,

Here, misbun is looking at national interest as priority and

Chong Wei's current position and prospect for the 2012 Olympic gold.

I think what he is doing is right given the fact any long term changes now

in the training and coaching structure would create havoc in the first place.

It just takes time and it can't be done overnight.

But as he progresses with his charges,

continuing taking chong wei to new heights and at the same time,

a free hand to train who he thinks has the potential to be a world beater,

Bam should take note on this seriously.

Training structures/programs are not meant to be fixed

and will only work with the continuos input from the coaches, the players

and any changes in the current scenario.

The current c & t committee members should be willing to accept any changes

should the needs arise and to work together as a team. :)

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    So after 1 month still no result yet?

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    c who blink first?
    Kong hee patt choy to all...

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Those 6 bank deposits are high quality stock, yield high compounding interest:D:p

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    What I can't understand is that MS, being a member of the CTC, should have made his suggestion much earlier or has it fallen on deaf ears?

If what Nadzmi says is true, MS's suggestions would have been looked into seriously for the 'national interest'.

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Loh, the ctc comprises of 14 members and only 4 coaches so you know the vote count hahaha

The president wasn't aware of everything happening in ctc, I can assure you that :D

Misbun did speak out from day 1 but on deaf ears

and there wasn't any respect given to him by certain members,

this I can also assure you :)

18. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

I believed that too, when people took a 'couldn't care less' attitude, only a resignation would get them to sit up and listen..that's typical of politics and many sports association in MAS is run by politicians..so expect the same culture.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Some are still dying to have BAM to fire Misbun Sidek

Have patience Dato A. I know that you are dying to have BAM to fire Misbun Sidek.

But many BAM people are not thinking the same way as you do. :):):)

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So, what were you guys doing until now?

So then what was all the fuss about? Why did he resign?

So simple! And note: all this focus on "preparation for the Olympics" is taking the attention away from the more fundamental issues and problems that are not going away.
    And just like that, so smoothly that you won't even realise it, they will have co-opted Misbun into the system; made him an accessory. The onus will be shifted to him now, to set out plans, strategies, etc. He will now have to make a "presentation" of his vision to the very people who do not see eye to eye with him.

Besides if your statement is:
    "we cannot change the structure and he has no problem with that"
    why bother with asking Misbun to "present details of his request"?
    What a circus!