Gail Emms' take on the WD disqualification

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by jdileo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Since they have already qualified for the QF it is bizarre that they were forced to play a pointless match that could cause injuries, which athletes need to avoid to be able to continue in the tournament. Injuries are real threats and can happen in any game (yes, even in backyard badminton), not to mention in elite games like the OG. There are plenty of injury examples in these current badminton matches.

Furthermore, national team players take their marching orders from the coaches. If a soldier is ordered by his general to commit fraud will we blame the soldier only and not his general? Hardly had to experience defeat in the past two years, I highly doubt the World Champions enjoy losing.

2. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

First off the idea that they were instructed to throw the match is at this point pure speculation as is the idea that "their careers were on the line".

In fact I'm finding the comments from the Chinese squad (including LD) a little bit disturbing. Either they really did take it upon themselves to throw the match, in which case they got their just deserts. Or, their coaches and team mates really are throwing them under the bus which is truly sickening.

Either way, in their shoes I blow through the Koreans. They're number one in the world and shouldn't be afraid to play anyone. They are there to win gold not win gold and ensure silver to their team mates. Certainly once the umpire flashed the black cards and then recinds them on the promise to play for real. I honor that promise rather than risk getting booted. Not taking that threat seriously was arrogant and stupid.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For CH pair, they are not afraid to play against anyone, I am with you on this. But it's an open secret, as they do treat this more like a team honor, which means, they will try to help their teammates (or themselves, as who knows who will win the "internal match"?)

For 2 KOR and INA, well, they are really afraid either CHN pair, especially Yu/Wang. So, they are really trying hard to avoid them ealier at any cost. This will boost their own chance to at least get to semi.

For 1 pair, it's like (doing their friends or themselves a favor), for 3 others, it's like trying "smart" to survive as long as possible. The problem is, when all 4 are trying, there's the conflict of interests

4. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I more or less agree with you but, as I said earlier. The minute I'm shown the black cards things for me would get serious. If by some stroke of luck I was able to get the officials to recind the DQs on the condition I play for real you can bet your A$$ I go all out. They were stupid to piss on a second chance they were lucky to receive in the first place. The minute those cards came out the conflict of interest you frame goes away. Your choice is now to lose your chance to play for gold or meet your team mates in the next round. Really they can't really complain. They didn't want to play their countrymen in the QF........ mission accomplished.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have to agree.

The IOC/BWF started the mess, and the coaches/players play their part to get it totally out of control, and surprisly found out (and sadly) that the BWF did not back down this time. However, without any blame to themselves, BWF made the ending into an even bigger of a mess, to show the public "it's always the lil guys"...

6. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Below is one of the NYT picks comments on the story that sums it up nicely:

Michael Baltimore

This is like throwing out a pitcher for intentionally walking a batter. These players are at the Olympics to win the gold medal -- just as the pitcher is trying to win the game -- and if according to the rules helping an opponent aids that quest, then they should not be penalized. The problem is not with their actions, but with a sport structured to reward defeat. Whoever set the badminton tournament up that way should be penalized, not these players.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/s...ied-for-throwing-matches.html?pagewanted=2&hp

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes they would ..... even more, because they are more popular than the 4 WD pairs.

8. kming

kming Regular Member

Computer
    In a way, i think that english people must not make some advice about this sort of things aven i'm agree with them. If you see the tour the france, Froome has been told to wait Wiggins because their team has decided thet wiggins has to wins. This was also scandalous because it was clear that froome was the stronger in the moutain.